Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Yorkshire, third best region in the world!

Clitheroe was said to be the most stress free place in Britain therefore the best place to live iirc :)

To be fair I have never been to Clitheroe, but it is not far from Blackburn, and nowhere near Balckburn could be a happy Place!

Unless they are just filled with relief because they don't actually live in Blackburn, like the sense of euphoria you get if you just avoid some kind of accident. That must be it.

To be fair I have never been to Clitheroe, but it is not far from Blackburn, and nowhere near Balckburn could be a happy Place!

Unless they are just filled with relief because they don't actually live in Blackburn, like the sense of euphoria you get if you just avoid some kind of accident. That must be it.
It isn't all that far from Blackburn as the crow flies. It's a small market town with quite a few wealthy landowners living with shopping distance.

On the subject of Blackburn, this stature is outside the train station there

bugger can't get the image to imbed
http://www.flickr.com/photos/54724011@N00/5786270934/

Now I appreciate it is difficult to tell, but my felling is always that the women is about to drag the poor child away and leave the teddy bear behind. After giving this some reflection I eventually decided that the stature was in fact perfect for Blackburn, as frankly it is horrible, depressing and pointless.

Last edited:

Now I appreciate it is difficult to tell, but my felling is always that the women is about to drag the poor child away and leave the teddy bear behind.After giving this some reflection I eventually decided that the stature was in fact perfect for Blackburn, as frankly it is horrible, depressing and pointless.
You are absolutely right about Blackburn but please remember that Blackburn is in Lancashire and should not be sullying my thread :D

I don't know how much it's changed over the years but for a long time Clitheroe in Lancashire ( but only about 5 miles from Yorkshire) was said to be the best place to live in Britain.
I always assumed Clitheroe was grim, but it looks quite nice from the quick Google images browse I've just done. Interesting! :)

I always assumed Clitheroe was grim, but it looks quite nice from the quick Google images browse I've just done. Interesting! :)
It is a nice little town. Near enough at the foot of Pendle Hill and very close to the Forest of Bowland and Gisburn Forest. It's well worth a visit :)

I met this american woman on holiday a couple of years ago who was travelling around on her own, and was grateful for a bit of conversation with english speakers. She told me about her time in England, which she hated. She'd been around London, and up to Oxford, and somewhere else that was either 'busy or boring'. But there was one place that almost made her change her mind. Blackburn with Darwen. Just lovely. And so handy for some place that begins with 'The.' Takes all kind I guess

Haltwhistle claims that title too :hmm:
'mid-point on the longest north-south axis' is their rationale. Which is rubbish

Dunsop Bridge, just north of Clitheroe, seems to be the most sensible mid UK point.

Geograph-2385708-Centre-of-Britain.jpg

'mid-point on the longest north-south axis' is their rationale. Which is rubbish

Dunsop Bridge, just north of Clitheroe, seems to be the most sensible mid UK point.

Geograph-2385708-Centre-of-Britain.jpg

Mid-UK or mid-Britain? It's awful pedantry so thanks for patience in advance.

Yes, geographic centre of Britain I believe.
Isn't that some field near a random village somewhere, rather than a town? It depends on how you measure it - centre of Britain? UK? Do you include the islands or just the mainland? Do you include the seabed that is within our territorial waters, etc?

And then you've got the problem of all the oddities - while you couldn't include the British overseas territories like the Falkland Islands, but would Rockall count as a direct part of Britain as it is solely ours (leaving aside the claims of other countries)?

Isn't that some field near a random village somewhere, rather than a town? It depends on how you measure it - centre of Britain? UK? Do you include the islands or just the mainland? Do you include the seabed that is within our territorial waters, etc?

And then you've got the problem of all the oddities - while you couldn't include the British overseas territories like the Falkland Islands, but would Rockall count as a direct part of Britain as it is solely ours (leaving aside the claims of other countries)?

This reminds me of a conversation I overheard between two aussie nurses on a bus to St. Helier hospital. One said she was going to Malta. When the other enquired as to its location, she was told, "Between Sicily and somewhere else."

But surely EVERYWHERE (except Sicily) is between Sicily and somewhere else! :(

Australia: between Sicily and New Zealand.

Venezuela: between Sicily and Japan.

Now I appreciate it is difficult to tell, but my felling is always that the women is about to drag the poor child away and leave the teddy bear behind. After giving this some reflection I eventually decided that the stature was in fact perfect for Blackburn, as frankly it is horrible, depressing and pointless.

Reminds me of this effort on Churchill Way in Cardiff.

Churchill_Way,_public_sculpture,_Family_by_Robert_Thomas._-_geograph.org.uk_-_1637146.jpg

I'm not sure if it's the all-pervading stench of 1980's municipality that it exudes (despite being erected this century), or the fact the mum looks like she's about to drop her daughter off a cliff.

Reminds me of this effort on Churchill Way in Cardiff.

Churchill_Way,_public_sculpture,_Family_by_Robert_Thomas._-_geograph.org.uk_-_1637146.jpg

I'm not sure if it's the all-pervading stench of 1980's municipality that it exudes (despite being erected this century), or the fact the mum looks like she's about to drop her daughter off a cliff.

It recalls - probably unintentionally - Hogarth's Gin Alley tableau. (Can't c&p on phone).

The centre point is that point at which a cardboard cut-out of the area could be perfectly balanced on the tip of a pencil. Islands are assumed fixed to the mainland in their precise position by invisible rigid weightless wires.

Back
Top Bottom