Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Yorkshire, third best region in the world!

I always thought it was grown on the Pennines and fertilised by sheep droppings. The bastards have been lying to me - Yorkshire tea my arse! :mad:
Someone once swore to me that she'd seen them growing tea in Harrogate. She always was full of shit though.

I understand the only commercially grown tea in Britain is in Cornwall. Get a mug of Smuggler's Brew down ya :cool:

Texas? Diverse? Seriously?

Yes. You've not been, I take it?

Defining something as a 'region' usually means that the area in question has various shared features - like a dialect, topography, whatever. Essentially all that the areas of Texas have in common, is the shared name.

Well yes, and that's fortunate for you, but clearly people would rather live elsewhere, was my point. The cities of Yorkshire are less popular with businesses and people than quite a few other cities in the uk. If yorkshire is so great, why is that? That lack of density might be nice, but unless those cities are turning businesses and house-builders away, saying "sorry, we're full", it doesn't explain why Yorkshire urban areas haven't become so densely populated.
The 'award' in the OP was voted for by a travel magazine. I imagine the criteria for "best place to live" are somewhat different.

So, it has English and Spanish speakers. Big deal - diversity-wise - compared with the dozens of languages you can hear in Bradford, Leeds or Sheffield.

There'll be other languages in Texas too! I'd wager more than in Yorkshire. You've been watching too many Dallas repeats.

I'm pretty sure Texas has plenty of diverse culture as well as geography

Texas? Diverse? Seriously?
I had the same initial reaction, but according to this research, it is actually a diverse state.
5KfNvRT.jpg

Houston has the 5th highest diversity 'score' for cities, too.

I had the same initial reaction, but according to this research, it is actually a diverse state.
5KfNvRT.jpg

Houston has the 5th highest diversity 'score' for cities, too.

Must be coz it's sooooooooo big.

ETA: "Diversity" in this study means "likelihood of encountering someone of a different race". So, not exactly scintillating in its scope. If that's what one takes for "diverse", I'd be willing to bet that too-small-even-to-warrant-consideration Yorkshire is a lot more "diverse" than really-big-and-thus-very-important Texas.

ETA: "Diversity" in this study means "likelihood of encountering someone of a different race". So, not exactly scintillating in its scope. If that's what one takes for "diverse", I'd be willing to bet that too-small-even-to-warrant-consideration Yorkshire is a lot more "diverse" than really-big-and-thus-very-important Texas.
You're not really qualifying what you consider to be diverse here. I'm pretty sure Dallas and Houston are diverse enough

too-small-even-to-warrant-consideration Yorkshire is a lot more "diverse" than really-big-and-thus-very-important Texas.

You're adding new things, ie this big is important, small is not business.

Austin is very very different from Waco.

My original point was that Yorkshire is an actual region; whereas Texas is not. Nothing to get defensive about in there.

Is it fuck. Texas is diverse by any measure. You've just got a daft stereotype in your head.

Well yes, and that's fortunate for you, but clearly people would rather live elsewhere, was my point. The cities of Yorkshire are less popular with businesses and people than quite a few other cities in the uk. If yorkshire is so great, why is that? That lack of density might be nice, but unless those cities are turning businesses and house-builders away, saying "sorry, we're full", it doesn't explain why Yorkshire urban areas haven't become so densely populated.
Well I think those cities don't do well because all the infrastructure for big business success is around London and the south east.
To be honest though, I wouldn't live in a city, any city, for anything. I'm a rural person and Yorkshire suits me.

The 'award' in the OP was voted for by a travel magazine. I imagine the criteria for "best place to live" are somewhat different.
I don't know how much it's changed over the years but for a long time Clitheroe in Lancashire ( but only about 5 miles from Yorkshire) was said to be the best place to live in Britain.

I don't know how much it's changed over the years but for a long time Clitheroe in Lancashire ( but only about 5 miles from Yorkshire) was said to be the best place to live in Britain.
Christ, next it will be said Blackpool is the best place to live for high culture!

Clitheroe is also the geographic centre of either England, irr

Don't let Johnny fool you - it's got Austin and Houston in it, the rest is just fucking backwards.

Back
Top Bottom