Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Yorkshire, third best region in the world!

There's a lot of jealous non-Yorkshire people on this thread. :rolleyes:

You're right. Seeing as Yorkshire beat Texas then maybe Texas should be allowed to include California or something as well.

Lancashire: beaten by a place which doesn't exist, and its virtues being extolled by an ex-pat on the internet :thumbs: :cool:

Only on Urban75: Wars of the Roses, the rematch.

To be fair, the county includes a large amount of rural land. On top of that you've got extensive moorland and parts of the uplands of the Pennines, along with the North York Moors. So it'll never be as densely populated as London or the south east.

Quite simply, large areas of the North aren't suitable for habitation due the nature of the land and the weather. For example, when they built the trans-Pennine section of the M62 it took something like a year to construct each mile of motorway as the peat moorland is so difficult to build on.

But you can stand at a point somewhere in the south Pennines I think and in a radius of so many miles there are more people than if you did the same measurement stood in Trafalgar Square.
Huh? Where?

Let's look at the urban areas, then. No problem building there, right?

Greater London "built up area" has 9.8 million people in 1737.9 sq km. 5630 ppl per sq km.

West Yorkshire "built up area" (comprising Leeds, Bradford, Wakefield, Huddersfield, dewsbury, keighley and Halifax) has 1.8 million people in 487 sq km. 3645 ppl per sq km.

London didn't always have this density. Ppl want to live here so we've built denser accommodation. Why don't ppl want to live in Yorkshire? :)

It's like comparing these horses.

Awwwwwww.jpg

So here's what I don't understand: if Yorkshire's so great, why don't more people choose to live there and have businesses there?

Wikipedia tells me that only 5.2 million people live somewhere which is 2.9 million acres in size. That's 1.79 per acre.

Compared to greater London, where you have 8.2 million people in only 388,449acres, meaning 21 people per acre.

Popularity. Yorkshire does not have it.
But the whole point of Yorkshire is the size and the empty spaces. The massive dales, the moors and the stunning views. People in Yorkshire don't want to be squeezed up like people in London. We love and enjoy our countryside. :)

But the whole point of Yorkshire is the size and the empty spaces. The massive dales, the moors and the stunning views. People in Yorkshire don't want to be squeezed up like people in London. We love and enjoy our countryside. :)
That's just because it stops you having to deal with other people from Yorkshire. :D

Okay scenery, shame about the people.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Culture_of_Yorkshire

The most common stereotype of a Yorkshire person is as tight with money: there is a British saying that "a Yorkshireman is a Scotsman with all the generosity squeezed out of him", which references how Scots are also stereotyped as being tight but not as tight as Yorkshire folk. This stereotype can also be seen in the Yorkshireman's Motto:
'Ear all, see all, say nowt;
Eyt all, sup all, pay nowt;
And if ivver tha does owt fer nowt -
Allus do it fer thissen.
Translation: 'Hear all, see all, say nothing; Eat all, drink all, pay nothing; And if ever you do anything for nothing - always do it for yourself.

Run across the Pennines over to us and we'll buy you a pint no problem at all!

Ecky thump!
is from Lancashire

I quite like Yorkshire, its scenery, and many of its people. I like the food, I like Whitby, I like Sheffield and York. The Pennines are ace, so are the North Yorks Moors and the Dales.

I really dislike a lot of the self regarding nonsense we hear from Yorkies about the place and people but there you are, nowhere's perfect

I live in Yorkshire but right on the border, and as far as I'm concerned Leeds is about as culturally significant as Ipswich compared to the mighty Manchester. But there are pros and cons both ways. Yorkshire has better countryside, the Calder Valley, Sheffield, nicer seaside places. But Lancashire has Lancaster and Morecambe Bay. Most of the west Yorkshire conurbation is grim beyond compare - Wakefield, Castleford, Dewsbury... but then there are the miserable towns of East Lancs and the lack of any meaningful civilisation in Wigan.

Where's that town on the border where the locals kept changing the county sign? There was a brilliant book about the North that had a chapter about the Lancashire/Yorkshire antipathy.

Let me have a look for it. It came out about 2000.

e2a

It made me laugh 14 years ago anyway.
Barnoldswick?

Where's that town on the border where the locals kept changing the county sign? There was a brilliant book about the North that had a chapter about the Lancashire/Yorkshire antipathy.

ooh. That quote was meant to say 'Also, Batley.' :hmm:
To which i say HOME OF THE BISCUIT and desperately ignore the frontier.

e2a

It made me laugh 14 years ago anyway.

Pies and Prejudice?

Or pretty much anywhere on the border area - Yorkshire always seems to enjoy moaning about borders and claiming various areas belong in Yorkieland when they manifestly don't! :D

Barnoldswick?
aye, the fucking tories stole Liverpool, a third of the Lake District and Manchester from Lancashire, and what did they get in return? Fucking Barnoldswick (the longest place name in Britain where none of the letters are repeated!)

Or pretty much anywhere on the border area - Yorkshire always seems to enjoy moaning about borders and claiming various areas belong in Yorkieland when they manifestly don't! :D
People get quite worked up about historical allegiances - generally wise to leave things as they are, in my opinion, but they thought better in 1974. I don't blame the people of Saddleworth for not wanting to be part of Oldham, really.

Where I live is actually Lancashire on the old borders but no-one seems to give a toss either way. It's interesting though that the Scousers fully embraced the idea of Merseyside and don't have any yearnings for Lancashire.

It's interesting though that the Scousers fully embraced the idea of Merseyside and don't have any yearnings for Lancashire.
except for Blackpool. (merseyside had the great benefit of meaning they no longer had to be associated with the mancs)

aye, the fucking tories stole Liverpool, a third of the Lake District and Manchester from Lancashire, and what did they get in return? Fucking Barnoldswick (the longest place name in Britain where none of the letters are repeated!)
Almost! :p
Barnoldswick is one of the longest place names in the United Kingdom without repeating any letters. Buckfastleigh in Devon, Buslingthorpe in Leeds, West Yorkshire and Buslingthorpe in Lincolnshire are longer with 13 letters.

Back
Top Bottom