Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Yorkshire, third best region in the world!

Your just saying that because you don't have an answer.

Where exactly is the boundary between Salford and Manchester anyway, if get of the train and Salford central and walk into Manchester, at what point do a cross into a different city?

The Irwell forms the boundary around the station I think.

Why do think I stared looking up city postcodes on Wikipedia? :D

Also Gateshead has a Newcastle postcode, so if that ever becomes a city it would be the most similar to Manchester/Salford

Gateshead is very similar to Salford in many ways, being overshadowed by Newcastle. Although, it has far better shopping facilities than Salford. :)

Ripon has a Harrogate postcode and Wells has a Bath one

It's a slow afternoon :D
There not real cities either, a combined population of about 25,000, there are villages bigger than either of them.

The only reason they still carry the name 'city' is that stupid thing about cathedrals.

Probably not even that - I think it would take all off about 2 minutes to walk from Manchester to it.
3, according to Google, but I have found I am usually faster than their prediction, and I am not a fast walker.

You could tel people you ran from one city to the next in under 2 minutes. :D

I miss my family at the moment. I could live in Salford and just be down the road from home no problem.

If you want to see the stark comparison - compare the Metrocentre with Salford Shopping City. :D
metrocentre has little to do with gateshead though - you have to travel to newcastle in order to get a train to it, even the metro doesn't go there from Gateshead.

Gateshead's actual city centre is about as shit as they go.

an in terms of regional identity... at football grounds all over Yorkshire you'll hear the fans chanting 'Yorkshire'.

You couldn't say the same thing about the North East, or the Manc region West of the Pennines.

an in terms of regional identity... at football grounds all over Yorkshire you'll hear the fans chanting 'Yorkshire'.

You couldn't say the same thing about the North East, or the Manc region West of the Pennines.

They chant 'yorkshire' because they're all a bit weird over the hills. ;)

metrocentre has little to do with gateshead though - you have to travel to newcastle in order to get a train to it, even the metro doesn't go there from Gateshead.

Gateshead's actual city centre is about as shit as they go.
You'd only get the train if you were coming from Newcastle city centre or further afield. I reckon most people arrive by bus (if they're not in a car).

When were you last in Gateshead? It's improved a lot in recent years, admittedly there are still plenty of shit bits though :D

Reminds me of this effort on Churchill Way in Cardiff.

Churchill_Way,_public_sculpture,_Family_by_Robert_Thomas._-_geograph.org.uk_-_1637146.jpg

I'm not sure if it's the all-pervading stench of 1980's municipality that it exudes (despite being erected this century), or the fact the mum looks like she's about to drop her daughter off a cliff.

Which reminds me of this violently bland waste of bronze - outside Bexleyheath shopping centre (and frequently adorned with fags in mouths, traffic cones on heads etc). At least this one was actually created in the eighties.

6384951199_dd0a904dfa_z.jpg

WTF? :D

What exactly is that supposed to be then? A whippet, a collar, a Mohican sort of hairdo and an ear ring. I'm puzzled by what is represents. :confused:
http://www.pmsa.org.uk/pmsa-database/9468/
A large sculpture of a man with a Mohiccan-style haircut, carrying a sack on his back. A fox, a hare and a tortoise are entwined around him. The work is covered all over with matt black paint.
At the time of its unveiling Sports Day was thought to be one of the largest outdoor sculptures in Britain, and its bulk still dominates Gateshead's main street.(1) The artist's stated ambition was to show the more playful aspects of Gateshead's association with sporting prowess. The work was carved on site from a polystyrene block, then covered in concrete and originally painted red, green, orange and yellow. However, it attracted criticism from the outset, being set alight three times even before it had been cast, which left Winstone 'heartbroken'.(2) The finished work was eventually unveiled by children's presenter Bernard Cribbins, though too late for the official opening of Gateshead's 'Art in Public Places' programme. 'Sports Day' was painted black in 1991 'to see it through the winter'(3) and has remained like that since.(4) - See more at: http://www.pmsa.org.uk/pmsa-database/9468/#sthash.NltPmvQi.dpuf

:hmm: :D

At least it was cheap I supposed - polystyrene and concrete. Sadly not bronze.

Makes me wonder how much public art there is the city centre here. I know there are tons of plinth statues of various historical worthies, but I'm not sure of what else apart from some murals near the station. Will have to have a wander with my camera...

Edit:

Excellent, I don't need to bother. Here you go...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_public_art_in_Greater_Manchester

Back
Top Bottom