Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Yes/No to AV - Urban Votes

You will vote.....

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Yes but this is a scientific Urbanz poll which will settle things.

My friend informed me last week that she is standing as a Lib Dem for a seat in Manchester, fortunately she could not see me :facepalm: over the phone.

How does voting for AV = being mugged off by the lib-dems? It's a fairer voting system.

This.

I would prefer PR but AV is better than FPTP. Who cares if the LIb Dems are campaigning for it, thats not the point is it.

Anyone voting for FPTP just because they dont like the Lib Dems are doing it for all the wrong reasons.

This.

I would prefer PR but AV is better than FPTP. Who cares if the LIb Dems are campaigning for it, thats not the point is it.

Anyone voting for FPTP just because they dont like the Lib Dems are doing it for all the wrong reasons.

No, they are doing it for exactly the right reasons. AV would be a minor constitutional change that won't amount to a great deal. The priority is cracking this government and beating the cuts. Voting against the Lib Dems is precisely the right thing to do.

What makes me smile the most about this whole thing is the Lib Dems acting all hurt about negative tactics. Those bastards, at a local level, are the most coniving, cheating, back-stabbing slags going who will happily tell people what ever they want to hear and have no compunction about negative campaigning in the slightest.

Fuck'em. I would rather have a Labour Government in power with the current system than anything that allows those Lib Dem shitbags a chance to be involved in more Government.
it may surprise you, but this is almost exactly what most Labour and tory activists of my acquaintance say about them - in fact, it's just about the only thing the two groups are generally agreed on

No, they are doing it for exactly the right reasons. AV would be a minor constitutional change that won't amount to a great deal. The priority is cracking this government and beating the cuts. Voting against the Lib Dems is precisely the right thing to do.

So you don't want the Tories or Lib Dem's in Westminster. So who do you want? Labour? Well they are campaigning for AV as well :rolleyes:.

If you think any other party has a chance then more fool you. However if AV was implemented they would have a better chance than now.

I agree its only a minor change. But who knows, in another 5 years there could be another vote to have PR, however, if FPTP wins now PR is not going to happen for at least 10-15 years, probably much longer.

So you don't want the Tories or Lib Dem's in Westminster. So who do you want? Labour? Well they are campaigning for AV as well :rolleyes:.

If you think any other party has a chance then more fool you. However if AV was implemented they would have a better chance than now.

I agree its only a minor change. But who knows, in another 5 years there could be another vote to have PR, however, if FPTP wins now PR is not going to happen for at least 10-15 years, probably much longer.

Labour aren't campaigning for Av you moron.

Any chance of any argument aside from that rather large mistake?

Not really. I want to stop the cuts, stop dole queues getting longer and rents rising and the NHS getting flogged off. I don't have any illusions in Labour, but should a government be brought down under pressure over cuts then it would likely force the next government to at least make concessions.

If you think any other party has a chance then more fool you.

More chance of what?

However if AV was implemented they would have a better chance than now.

No they wouldn't.

What do you base this on? Why do you and all the other purple preachers think a yes vote would lead to a referendum on PR in the near future but a no vote would close it off for a generation? Either way, the cunts in power are going to say that this referendum settled the debate. Don't be such a mug.

Scoring on the Eurovision Song contest would not be so fun to watch and so democratic if it were to be done on a First Past the Post basis rather than a single point-scored preference system of AV.

What do you base this on? Why do you and all the other purple preachers think a yes vote would lead to a referendum on PR in the near future but a no vote would close it off for a generation? .

Because, if FPTP stays then we are going to be stuck with the Tories for a long time (hence no referendum on PR for a long, long time). Reminiscent of Maggie Thatchers tory government ruling for 17 years without ever once getting more than 50% of the total votes: which would simply not happen under AV.

Yes, I know that does not mean that we will necessarily get a referendum on PR if AV does go through, BUT, it will be A LOT more likely than if it doesn't go through.

AV ends tactical voting, ends the "wasted vote for minority parties". It just makes sense.

AV is a more literal voting system of the term "first past the post" as the first party to get past the 50% "post" wins. However with FPTP there is no fucking post.

Scoring on the Eurovision Song contest would not be so fun to watch and so democratic if it were to be done on a First Past the Post basis rather than a single point-scored preference system of AV.
<points and laughs>
"toblerone3 watches eurovision! NYAAH!"

Because, if FPTP stays then we are going to be stuck with the Tories for a long time (hence no referendum on PR for a long, long time). Reminiscent of Maggie Thatchers tory government ruling for 17 years without ever once getting more than 50% of the total votes: which would simply not happen under AV.

What exactly are you basing all these claims on?

Why would it lead to this? Look at the polls you fool.

Yes, I know that does not mean that we will necessarily get a referendum on PR if AV does go through, BUT, it will be A LOT more likely than if it doesn't go through.

No it won't be.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-12754592

:rolleyes:

Maybe I should of said. Ed Milliband, the Labour Leader is campaigning for AV and not the party. Same thing in my eyes. Follow the leader and all that.

Yeah, maybe you should be right.

That's why over 50% of labour MPs are voting NO. You're a fucking star.

Tell you what, it's an open one to you and other YES freaks, make an argument. It'll get dealt with in a serious manner. Go on.

We had a New Labour government under FPTP from 1997 to 2010 - 13 years. Thatcher ruled for 11 years, not 17. Labour lost 1992 due to blundering - Kinnock had an open goal and booted the ball way over the crossbar.

Ed Milliband was on Radio 4 this morning, and stated that he does NOT want PR in any shape at all. Nick Clegg on Radio 4 a couple of days ago completelyy dodged the question on PR. As things stand, there will not be a referendum on PR at all under any parliament under the parties we have now.

Remind me - what type of electoral system do we have now?

What type of electoral system was labour elected under?

What type of electoral system was the current coalition elected under?

Any party can win under fptp and in fact have a greater chance of winning than in av - although it's certainly not perfect and id rather have pr. it is a fairer system than av - a system where in australia they are trying to have reformed.

Yeah, maybe you should be right.

That's why over 50% of labour MPs are voting NO. You're a fucking star.

Tell you what, it's an open one to you and other YES freaks, make an argument. It'll get dealt with in a serious manner. Go on.

My argument is a long one. Its pretty much summed up here http://gowers.wordpress.com/2011/04/20/is-av-better-than-fptp/ .

Those more than 50% of labour MP's voting for FPTP are just scared of losing their seats. Thats all. They want to keep their job, can you blame them? They are voting in their own interests, not the parties and certainly not the countries. Ed Milliband see's this and why he is campaigning for yes.

All the arguments by the NO campaign are stupid, invalid or very very unlikely to happen. Whilst all the arguments against FPTP are true, hit home and make sense.

Oh yeah and opinion polls mean fuck all, when have they ever meant anything? Just look at the opinion polls over the past 100 years compared to the actual results.

Back
Top Bottom