Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

WTF! Look what they've done to the Coach & Horses/Living Bar

Pope's Road toilets?

Which I kept reading as the Pope's road toilets. As in the ones he uses when on tour.

A few weeks ago you thought the Albert was too expensive, you can't have it all ways.

A few weeks ago you thought the Albert was too expensive, you can't have it all ways.

No, I simply stated that describing it as having a cheap bar, was incorrect. It is a pub with pub prices, I never said it was expensive.

Since then, of course, they have lowered the price of Carling, so one of the drinks they sell is 'cheap', the others are still 'pub priced'.

Was the cost of Carling lowered in response to the bar prices analysis conducted and published here by you, Onket? If so you should be commended for your community-spirited work.

No, I simply stated that describing it as having a cheap bar, was incorrect. It is a pub with pub prices, I never said it was expensive.

Since then, of course, they have lowered the price of Carling, so one of the drinks they sell is 'cheap', the others are still 'pub priced'.

I am amazed you are so au fait with the bar prices of a "shithole" ;)

Exactly where is the Albert - where you can get drinks cheaper than any other comparable live venue in Brixton - "normally described as a shithole," please?

I've read loads of online reviews for the place and they're generally rather positive. A little rough around the edges perhaps, but certainly not a 'shithole' - unless you're some kind of middle class "style-bar" loving yuppy, of course.

Rah rah. Is it all a bit downmarket for Lord Onket?

Was the cost of Carling lowered in response to the bar prices analysis conducted and published here by you, Onket? If so you should be commended for your community-spirited work.
The drinks prices were already cheaper than any other live venue in the area, and Lord Onket has got the Carling bit wrong as well.

It's actually Carlsberg, which retails for - IIRC - a measly £2.30.

So, a cheap bar it is then! :D

Exactly where is the Albert - where you can get drinks cheaper than any other comparable live venue in Brixton - "normally described as a shithole," please?

I've read loads of online reviews for the place and there's generally rather positive. A little rough around the edges perhaps, but certainly not a 'shithole' - unless you're some kid of middle class "style-bar" loving yuppy, of course.

Why are you getting in a tizz about this? The Albert certainly has it's place, there are some good nights on there. One of the beers they sell can now even be described as 'cheap' in price.

This doesn't-

a) Mean that the pub can't also be a shithole.

b) Mean that it can't be described as such by people in Brixton and the surrounding area.

c) Mean that those same people don't also sometimes go there.

It's no slight on you, or the nights you put on there, if that's what you're worried about.

Blimey, listen to the crew in my local and the Albert's often referred to as 'posh,' 'white' or '(f)arty.' There's been a little bit of banter as the summer occasionals venture from there to the bigger beer gardens
:D

It's not a bad balance for a town centre pub ime, although I find it better as a quick meeting point than somewhere I'll linger. Decent prices really - it's not going to match Wetherspoons, but it's one of the cheaper pubs in the area ime.

The drinks prices were already cheaper than any other live venue in the area, and Lord Onket has got the Carling bit wrong as well.

It's actually Carlsberg, which retails for - IIRC - a measly £2.30.

So, a cheap bar it is then! :D

Apologies for getting the brand name of the piss they sell wrong.

Carlsberg it is, then. You'll pop before you get pissed off that stuff. :D

And to clarify, it doesn't make it a cheap bar if one of the drinks they sell is cheap. Obviously.

Why are you getting in a tizz about this? The Albert certainly has it's place, there are some good nights on there. One of the beers they sell can now even be described as 'cheap' in price.

This doesn't-

a) Mean that the pub can't also be a shithole.

b) Mean that it can't be described as such by people in Brixton and the surrounding area.

c) Mean that those same people don't also sometimes go there.

It's no slight on you, or the nights you put on there, if that's what you're worried about.
Don't get your monocle in a twist.

You said it was "normally described as a shithole."

Can you back that up with some examples please?

Thanks.

Blimey, listen to the crew in my local and the Albert's often referred to as 'posh,' 'white' or '(f)arty.' There's been a little bit of banter as the summer occasionals venture from there to the bigger beer gardens
:D

Well exactly. People in different opinion shocker. Some people on this thread seem to be taking this to heart a bit too much.

And to clarify, it doesn't make it a cheap bar if one of the drinks they sell is cheap. Obviously.
It makes it a cheap bar if it's cheaper than any other comparable bar in the area though.

Doh! :facepalm:

Well exactly. People in different opinion shocker. Some people on this thread seem to be taking this to heart a bit too much.
LOL. I can almost feel your self-pwnage from here.

Don't get your monocle in a twist.

You said it was "normally described as a shithole."

Can you back that up with some examples please?

Thanks.

Sadly, conversations I have had with people in the past can't (yet) be linked to on the internet. I'm sure you don't need me to point out that that doesn't mean they didn't happen.

Sadly, conversations I have had with people in the past can't (yet) be linked to on the internet. I'm sure you don't need me to point out that that doesn't mean they didn't happen.
No doubt you've had lots of PMs of support too.

Lol.

:facepalm: :D

It makes it a cheap bar if it's cheaper than any other comparable bar in the area though.

Doh! :facepalm:

LOL. I can almost feel your self-pwnage from here.

You really are confused, aren't you. :(

The place is described as a shithole.

One cheap drink does not a cheap bar make.

No doubt you've had lots of PMs of support too.

Lol.

:facepalm: :D

You'll have to explain this further. Conversations describing a pub as a shithole are invalid somehow, are they? Everything has to be saved to the internet in some way to make it fact, does it?

Poor you if you you're that baffled by real life. :D

Didn't think you had anything of substance to say. You really should stop getting so wound up about stuff that doesn't matter, ed. Here's to the future.

So many times you make yourself look odd by making allusions that you then take ages to or never back up.

Hold on, do we really need to call comments about a pub supposedly being a shithole an 'allusion', with a need to back up what people may have said IRL? This is hardly a literary discussion

It's a personal anecdote, no more or less. It's hardly that implausible or worthy of further comment if you ask me.

Christ, some people still comment on the whole of Brixton as if it's some kind of roulette zone of stabbing, mugging and gang warfare.

Hold on, do we really need to call comments about a pub supposedly being a shithole an 'allusion', with a need to back up what people may have said IRL? This is hardly a literary discussion

It's a personal anecdote, no more or less. It's hardly that implausible or worthy of further comment if you ask me.

Yep. And as I said earlier-

Some people on this thread seem to be taking this to heart a bit too much.

:)

Hold on, do we really need to call comments about a pub supposedly being a shithole an 'allusion', with a need to back up what people may have said IRL?
I meant 'back up' in the sense of provide some supporting argument. Like if you think somewhere's a shithole, say where you mean and say why you think so instead of pussyfooting around. I know you wouldn't

Perhaps. But I don't see why folks should care to a large degree. My local's been described to me negatively many times over the years, from a 'pikey pub,' to 'a den of inequity for ne'er do wells, scumbags and drug dealers,' 'stabville,' and other charming epithets that make it sound like a more violent version of the Mos Eisley cantina. I'd be hard pressed to remember exactly said what, nor does it really bother me.

Frankly if they're that wrong and quick to judge I don't really give a fuck what they think. All the more bar stools for me.

I've heard my local described as a shithole by some, others love it.

All depends on what you like.

Maybe Onket likes yuppy pubs, most of which I would consider shitholes

Back
Top Bottom