Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

WTF! Look what they've done to the Coach & Horses/Living Bar

The Albert is a bit of a shithole....and it smells.

It's always been a bit of a shithole....and it's always been a bit smelly.

The bog is especially shitty and horrible.....and smelly.

The clientele can be a bit grubby at times too.....and smelly.

It's not a bad shithole, and not the worst shithole, it's not the beehive.....and it aint the Hoot, which is a shithole of super grubby standards (had a mouse in a bag of crisps once)

It's not a bad shithole, and not the worst shithole, it's not the beehive.....and it aint the Hoot, which is a shithole of super grubby standards (had a mouse in a bag of crisps once)

teafinger.jpg

Compared to some of the pubs I grew up with, the Albert is a palace.

A mouse crawled into your bag of crisps or it was already there when you opened it? :eek::hmm:

I'm intrigued to know which pub Tarranau's 'local' is - the one whose clientel considers to be rougher, blacker and more down-to-earth than the Albert.

Compared to some of the pubs I grew up with, the Albert is a palace.

Do you think the pubs you grew up with were rougher than Tarannau's local though?

I wonder how Onket's real-life opinion sources would have evaluated them.

A mouse crawled into your bag of crisps or it was already there when you opened it? :eek::hmm:

It had eaten it's way in and when they put in on the counter they saw this big hole in the bag and then empty the whole box which the mice had been living in....

...they offered me a free bag....I declined.

I'm not really following the Albert-is-a-shithole thing. It's not a gastro-pub but it sure ain't a dive. The clientele are a real mix too, pretty normal after-office people in there sometimes which you don't get in proper shitholes.

The last time I took someone to hooters their comment was that it was "studenty".

Not sure if I entirely agree but there you go.

It's got the best layout for live music in brixton, it's got a fantastic front yard that catches the sunset, it's got more pool tables than all the other pubs in brixton combined (probably) and it's got el panzon mexican food. Hootananny is a great pub, but with crappy expensive beer.

The last time I took someone to hooters their comment was that it was "studenty".

Not sure if I entirely agree but there you go.

At times - it fluctuates like all pubs here - but you can also almost guarantee a good, near representative smattering of locals that at all times and a reggae circuit that takes in one of the biggest local promoters, large dedicated crowds and a good reputation. Same goes for other aspects of the musical policy, with a decent latin crew and a bit of World stuff.

The Albert has a (computerised) jukebox and entertainment selection that's perhaps stronger on rock/indie, punk and classics than the average Brixton payload. Other places more discernably cater for different tastes and attract different crowds at times. As I say, it's not a huge factor or meant to imply there's some policy to discourage anyone. This is Brixton after all and I'm happy for the variety. It's a matter of degrees and occasionally perceptions. It's not as though many of the pubs don't share the same clientele at times, or that people don't move between them on a regular basis

I've rarely seen serious violence in either, but there seem to be more regular sporadic outbursts in the Hob despite the occasional massed bouncer crew. From my view, they're rarely more than handbags, but it does seem to have a bit of a reputation to some. Who cares really? Personally I feel utterly safe in both.

The beer, as Crispy suggests, manages to be amongst the most expensive and worst in town.

I actually don't mind if the beer is a bit more expensive in the Hootenanny seeing as most of the time the live music is free and usually fairly good. It's preferable to cheap beer and a cover charge.

Heh. I did actually see them throwing away the crisps and looking quizically at that corner a fair old while back. I think I might have caught the aftermath of your mouse incident Nanker.

Heh. I did actually see them throwing away the crisps and looking quizically at that corner a fair old while back. I think I might have caught the aftermath of your mouse incident Nanker.

T'was I. Was a time ago.

The mouse shit falling out the crisp box was enough to make me give the free pack a miss.

I remember when the hobgoblin first became the hootananny and tarannau predicted it would result in the fall of civilisation as we know it.

I agree with the old tarannau. At least as the hob the beer was cheap and there weren't batallions of bouncers. The new owners are proper cunts too.

The whole good thing was that it changed. The bagpipes and fiddles live every night policy failed miserably, sending moaning droves out of the door. The management claims that reggae, electronic music and djs would not be played, that the pool tables would be removed have now passed into history. There's now a drum barbecue, hefty numbers of high profile reggae acts and 3 pool tables. They flexed and bent under the pressure and it's a much better and happier mix now. It's a pub that's resisted change to a large extent, remaining a key football and sunny beer garden fixture. It's a much better balance and fit with the neighbourhood imo

It's got the best layout for live music in brixton, it's got a fantastic front yard that catches the sunset, it's got more pool tables than all the other pubs in brixton combined (probably) and it's got el panzon mexican food. Hootananny is a great pub, but with crappy expensive beer.

George IV used to have most of that :(

Back
Top Bottom