Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

WTF! Look what they've done to the Coach & Horses/Living Bar

whoops. Maybe this will work. (I meant before the sign was put up in the first place.)

I9w6i.png

yeah teuchter was suggesting they may have removed some of the window sill (which presumbly is listed) to get the sign on there. But it's impossible to tell with the sign still in place.

Is that a scan?

It looks like the bay window sill is trashed, I think *squints* :hmm: On the right edge...

I don't think it's unreasonable to suggest that if you choose to live above Coldharbour lane or the High street, you do so in the knowledge that it is not going to be very quiet on weekend nights (or at any time for that matter). Whereas if you choose to live on one of the streets off Brixton Hill, your expectations are slightly different.

The activity related to South Beach late at night is a new thing (as in, the last few months or so). I have noticed it because I regularly walk past (and up Arodene Rd/Helix Gardens etc) after midnight on the weekend. I don't really know how much disturbance it actually causes because I don't live in one of the houses just there. All I know is that there are cars driving up and down / turning around in the street/ sitting with engines running/headlights on, and a fair number of people coming and going too. It may be that really the level of disturbance is fairly mild but you can't necessarily write off any complaints as NIMBYism or equate it with objecting to toilets being flushed after 10pm.

I haven't really followed this debate, but once a month I get a cab past South Beach around 4am, and there's always loads of people on the pavement outside. Maybe it coincides with their chucking out time, but I'm always surprised at just how many people are there at quite a late hour.

Pretty sure the building's not listed, you know.
for some reason i thought it was listed - because the old owner was ordered to replace the windows he removed - but you might be right.

It looks fcuking shabby in that pic with all the roadworks!

(might well be a scan - it's off an estate agent's website)

for some reason i thought it was listed - because the old owner was ordered to replace the windows he removed - but you might be right.

It looks fcuking shabby in that pic with all the roadworks!

(might well be a scan - it's off an estate agent's website)

Even if it's not listed, there are conditions on what you can and can't do in a conservation area. And it is in a conservation area.

It's coming back! Here's an application by Living Bars Ltd in the window, open from 9-4am...

Attachments

• living.jpg
    living.jpg
    76.5 KB · Views: 14
Oh, and Living Bars are registered to:

12 NORTHFIELDS PROSPECT
PUTNEY BRIDGE ROAD
LONDON
SW18 1PE

Could be wrong but I think the same chap who runs Mass, Stan Chicksand, is behind it. Looking forward to seeing the back of those Lobo signs.

It is not strictly a change of use - from one meat market to another...

Its not Larry. I think Rushy is correct about who is behind it.

The building needs a lot of work on it. So it will be interesting to see what they do.

So the Living Room never actually got sold then?! I'm confused.

Seems a bit weird to lease it out to some fishmongers, who then totally transform the downstairs into fishmongers, and then decide to totally transform it back into a bar again. I mean, presumably it got changed into a fishmongers cos it was going nowhere as a bar...

By the way, can anyone tell me if, where it says "Other regulated entertainment..." after the sentence about "Recorded music" that can mean live music?

Whatever it is it'll no doubt be over priced compared to the Albert, which means we'll be able to entice folks across the road to a better, cheaper night. But there again, if it's a load of Cla'am rugger shirt oafs on the pull, they can stay where they are. :D

I imagine the local dealers will be delighted by the news too. The Living Bah used to be the #1 drug rip off location in Brixton. The sights I saw!

Some people prefer to pay a little more to drink in surroundings that aran't normally described as 'a shithole' though.

Some people prefer to pay a little more to drink in surroundings that aran't normally described as 'a shithole' though.
If they feel they're a cut about the rest in the Living Bah, long may they stay across the road.

I imagine the local dealers will be delighted by the news too. The Living Bah used to be the #1 drug rip off location in Brixton. The sights I saw!

I forgot about that.

Its not Larry but I think some people who used to work with him at one point.

Im concerned it will be turned into another noisy night club. It never was a bar when Larry had it as it was always empty except late night Fri,Sat .

Also with the recession some big clubs are going to the wall. Turnmills for example. This really isnt the time to try and run a club. There already enough in Brixton.

People who club on weekends would rather go to Berlin for a couple of nights. No need for hotel as they wont be sleeping.

Where about on Coldharbour Lane is it?

I lived there for years and don't recognise it.

Unless it's after where the 35 and the 345 turn off on to Graham Road - then I wouldn't.

Back
Top Bottom