Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Would you tell your senior management that you were applying for a job?

polly

I've just got a new job in a different team at the organisation where I work. I told my line manager that I was going for it and then when I got an interview. She kept it to herself.

Yesterday I handed in my notice and all hell has broken loose. The SMT are all kicking off that I didn't inform them as soon as I applied. Outraged and 'disappointed'. Line manager and I are a bit baffled. Is this generally an expectation??

For context, it's a low rung part time job with a pretty basic skillset that I was overqualified for but have been doing because it fit my family situation. It won't be hard to fill. It genuinely didn't occur to me to tell them but even if it had, I wouldn't have because there is a very toxic environment and had I been unsuccessful, I imagine the fact that I'd tried to escape would have gone against me.

I think you've answered your own question. It's really toxic so they're acting in a toxic way. No one tells their current job they're applying for new jobs usually.

Thank you! You are right but as I suppose is often the way in these places, you start to second guess yourself.

Line manager, who is normally extremely conflict averse, has been a total badass about it, I must say. Told them it was none of their business.

You told your line manager. Your personal arse is covered IMO.

Yeah but I don't want to cause her grief either. Plus new job has a lot of relationship management, so I don't want new line manager to find out I burned the current place down :D

It depends which I know is unhelpful. 😄
You told your line manager so if there was a requirement for senior management to know then that’s up to them.

I’ve had a couple of jobs where I’d need permission to apply for another role and had transfers blocked for ‘business need’ but if that’s not the case then fuck ‘em.

It depends which I know is unhelpful. 😄
You told your line manager so if there was a requirement for senior management to know then that’s up to them.

I’ve had a couple of jobs where I’d need permission to apply for another role and had transfers blocked for ‘business need’ but if that’s not the case then fuck ‘em.

What?! But what if you'd applied for something external? Surely they can't actually stop you from leaving? And the effect on them is exactly the same

What?! But what if you'd applied for something external? Surely they can't actually stop you from leaving? And the effect on them is exactly the same
External is different obviously so yeah it’s stupid. This was civil service. I can’t remember but think it only applied to level transfers.

No requirement to tell your managers you've applied for another job even if it's within the same company.
probably not legally but there are lots of reasons why you might need to for an internal move, in a big enough org there will undoubtedly be “a policy” to abide by

In my place you can’t apply for an internal move if not passed probation for example

probably not legally but there are lots of reasons why you might need to for an internal move, in a big enough org there will undoubtedly be “a policy” to abide by

In my place you can’t apply for an internal move if not passed probation for example

That's a bit different - I don't think I can either within probation period.

Also perhaps if subject to a personal improvement plan.

Sure. But what I'm asking really is if there's an expectation rather than a requirement - I know I'm allowed not to say anything but I guess I'm a bit worried I've made a massive blunder of manners :D Because of what I said above about the new job but also because unfortunately I will probably need to deal with these people again.

Sure. But what I'm asking really is if there's an expectation rather than a requirement - I know I'm allowed not to say anything but I guess I'm a bit worried I've made a massive blunder of manners :D Because of what I said above about the new job but also because unfortunately I will probably need to deal with these people again.
This is the one good use case I've ever seen for the "I'm sorry if you feel..." style pseudo-apology.

I think you've answered your own question. It's really toxic so they're acting in a toxic way. No one tells their current job they're applying for new jobs usually.
I think it's usual to tell your line manager if you're applying internally for a different role. Or at least that's the score where I've worked before.

:hmm:

with external jobs, you can usually keep it to yourself until such time as you get and accept an offer and want to give notice, but you can't keep it quiet the same way if it's an internal job - it's probably better to tell current line manager before they hear from (potential) new manager or HR or whatever.

the 'rules' (written and unwritten) about going for internal jobs / promotions / transfers does tend to vary from one workplace to another, but seems odd that senior management have made a fuss and current line manager is ok about it.

i've known places where it's seen as perfectly normal to look for other jobs in the organisation, others where they almost wonder what's wrong with you if you don't, and others where it's seen as wrong.

do you know how other people have handled it / been treated in similar circumstances?

Back
Top Bottom