Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

World Cup 2024

much as I dislike FIFA... sounds OK. glad they've kept 4-team matches. and why not have more teams in there. more football!

So many issues with this, but chief among them is this simply can't be good for the players.

I know, I know, "oooh, they get paid lots"; sure, but at some point it's still just golden plated exploitation.

"Play all these games and run the risk of seriously damaging your body, or don't play all of them and run the risk of seriously damaging your career" shouldn't be a choice they're forcing on people.

So many issues with this, but chief among them is this simply can't be good for the players.

I know, I know, "oooh, they get paid lots"; sure, but at some point it's still just golden plated exploitation.

"Play all these games and run the risk of seriously damaging your body, or don't play all of them and run the risk of seriously damaging your career" shouldn't be a choice they're forcing on people.
The team that wins the tournament will play 8 matches instead of 7. Not exactly a massive change.

It's a crap idea. There aren't 48 strong countries in the world and there won't be enough jeopardy just eliminating a third of the teams in the first phase. The Euros suffered the same problem when they went from 16 to 24 teams. 16 was the right number. And for the WC, 32 is the right number. This will be a bloated tournament with a lot more low-stakes matches and will only really come to life after the group stages. Compare and contrast the excitement and jeopardy right from the off in last year's WC.

This is actually what FIFA/Infantino wanted if you ask me - the suggestion for a three-team group stage was ridiculous and never going to work. The whole idea was to expand the tournament - this way looks 'better' in comparison.

Will ultimately mean a lot of one-sided/meaningless matches

Back
Top Bottom