Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Working from home Y/N

I've been working from home for the past 13 weeks (in fact it is 3 months today since I was last in the office) and it has worked very well, I mostly work alone and unsupervised so I am very nearly as productive wfh as I am in the office plus there are extra benefits like I don't waste 90mins of my life each day sat in the car. I've also lost the best part of a stone now that I have cut out the frequent lattes, kitkats and bacon butties that the smell from the canteen encouraged me to buy.
Personal home circumstances play a big part in it though, my kids are adults and since two of them have moved out I can even use the smallest bedroom as dedicated office space with
a full sized monitor so it's pretty good. When they were small it would have been a frigging nightmare, I just can't imagine myself sat at the kitchen table hunched over a laptop with them charging around being noisy (and mine were a boisterous lot)
WFH from home is definitely the way to go but it needs to be to mutual benefits, there are downsides to it and we don't want to see companies pressuring people to WFH (no matter how well they can do it) just to save on office space costs and I think it is only a matter of time before the bean counters catch onto this in a big way.

Yeah - I think it's fair to say I have an easy commute now, and the tubes are still empty... getting into a rammed tube to get across London is not something I miss particularly.

I've been WFH since the start of lockdown. I switch everything else off, and just get on with my work. I may get more done than I do at the office, there is no one to have chats with by the coffee machine for example.

At some point I expect to go back, but I am not sure what will decide when, and I might push to continue WFH a few days a week and think that would probably be ok.

I am not out of work, but I am trying to find some kind of legit work from home companies and thought someone out there might have some ideas? Considering a move to Spain and since I speak nada word of Spanish this work from home thing sounds like it could be useful in this situation, but there are ten million work from home jobs online and who knows if even half of them are legit.
Thanks in advance!

Has anyone's view changed in the couple of months since this question was originally asked?

nope. I’d say my opinion is the same.

Needs a poll, but it's a YES from me.

Work have said even when we can go back it'll be on a "only if you want to or need to" basis. Reactions have differed, but I'm a happy bunny.
We have a departmental meeting end of the month which is to discuss this, I expect. I'm hoping we'll be having a similar conversation.

I'd be a bit concerned if wfh was mandatory. My contract of employment says I have an office that it names. It's quite specific about where it is and I'm expected to travel to/from it and any other reasonable place. Not sure about the legality of saying 'you work from home now' without consulting on this.

Not something that affects me - they'll drag me kicking and screaming back into an office - but will undoubtedly be a concern for others.

I put round an anonymous survey at work to see how people were finding the present situation and to see what working patterns they wanted from a post-Covid world (this is a London office of 20 people).

Most people are doing OK with the wfh. There have of course been a few IT issues. People are mainly glad not to be commuting. Informal communication is harder. Post-Covid most want to have a hybrid model of wfh/coming into office.

Has anyone's view changed in the couple of months since this question was originally asked?
Still working from home , financially it is great , not spending about £130 a month on travel, I was saving by not buying lunch everyday but since kickdown has been relaxed, that's no longer the case. I am enjoying my morning,lunchtime, evening walks , but I am missing interaction with work mates. Still no news about going back , I'd like at least 2 days a week in the office, hopefully that will happen in the next month or so.

I put round an anonymous survey at work to see how people were finding the present situation and to see what working patterns they wanted from a post-Covid world (this is a London office of 20 people).

Most people are doing OK with the wfh. There have of course been a few IT issues. People are mainly glad not to be commuting. Informal communication is harder. Post-Covid most want to have a hybrid model of wfh/coming into office.

We got a clearly not anonymous one which seemed to conflate wfh and global pandemic as bad things and return to office as good solution. They didnt even show it to the safety committee first and no one answered it.

It has good and bad ponts - overwhelmingly the bad points are around informal chat and interaction with colleagues that has both personal and professional benefits - overwhelmingly however it's been a good experience, and a good 'forcer' of change within an organisation/mentality that can be resistant to change.

For me personally it's a 2.5 hour round trip I'm not doing each day, it's £80 I'm not putting in my car every week - I'm fortunate in that i have very capable and helpful IT support, I have the space for a workspace in the house and outside, and that the kids have been able to play in the garden for 4/5 hours every day so I can crack on with work when we're not doing homeschool.

Broadly, within my organisation, the answer would be similar - we're talking about how we want to work when Covid-19 is no longer a problem and a hybrid model of a 2/3 split is the overwhelming concensus. Interestingly, no one is using the term 'going back', it's about going forward....

I love WFH and asked to WFH permanently before Covid anyway, so this has all been good for me.

The only downside is I've moved to a new area and there are loads of dogs and the owners don't give a shit about them so they bark all day and night. The noise is really getting to me.

We have a departmental meeting end of the month which is to discuss this, I expect. I'm hoping we'll be having a similar conversation.
My office opened last week, on a "you can go in if you absolutely need to" basis, with a booking system etc. Take up has been so low, that from next week, the office is going to be open only on Tuesdays and Thursdays. I didn't expect many people to go in, but I'm a little surprised that the numbers are so low that they've cut it to twice a week.

How's WFH going for those where there's more than one member of the household doing it? Are you enjoying spending every hour of both your work and leisure time in the vicinity the same person /people?

How's WFH going for those where there's more than one member of the household doing it? Are you enjoying spending every hour of both your work and leisure time in the vicinity the same person /people?
Mrs mx has turned the spare room into an office, and worked up there before she started going in to work again. I work at the kitchen table, so we've kept out of each other's way most of the time. She doesn't work on Fridays, which used to be "her day", and it's pretty clear she'd rather I wasn't around then.
I've seen colleagues on calls with their OH in the same room working and even on calls at the same time, which can't be easy.
Overall - lockdown has not been good for our relationship. There would have been a lot more rows if our daughter wasn't here.

Mrs21 works in the spare room at a desk, I work in the living room ,on the sofa. We both work for the same organisation in the same-ish department, so it's actually quite useful being able to ask her stuff ,and her ask me stuff.

The work time is not a problem because we are both busy and in different parts of a house. Spending all our leisure time together (at the start of lockdown) was a real problem.

We did a magic mix of alternating so that one worked while the other didn't, and that might be mornings/afternoons, or X day and Y day, as well as deliberately timetabling some together time.

Looks like the gf will be going back to the office at some point - she was sent an artists plan of the mega office revamp that they’re currently working on.

Looks amaze but like a lot of people have mentioned on here - she’s saving quite a bit of fuel and 2hrs a day travelling and she just prefers wfh in general.

Current thinking at my place is that most of us will be working just 2 or 3 days a week in the office from 1st September.

No forcing it on anyone though; if your home circumstances don't allow for whatever reason you can work in the office all the time. Seems fair, the figures are based on there being less than half in the office so there's enough room. Sounds like they're taking individual circumstances into account - a one size fits all approach would be bad news here I think.

Be interesting to see if they're happy for me to keep working at home as much. I'd gladly keep doing it but I expect they'll want me in for a day or two a week.

Back
Top Bottom