Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Working from home Y/N

RubyBlue

faded and jaded
Been working from home for 3 months now due to Covid, I worked from home 2 days a week before then. Just found out that when our building lease expires in 2 years we will be working from home on a permanent basis. Meanwhile even when Covid is over we will only be going into the office in exceptional circumstances. Not everyone is happy about it but I am.

I much prefer WFH - or at least doing my tendering / admin at home. Less noise / dust and interruptions ...
I do need to visit / supervise the workshop fairly frequently, in normal circumstances.
Otherwise, there are these wonderful devices called the telephone, internet & e-mail !

There are not many things I miss about not being in the office, the occasional water cooler chats perhaps, otherwise, at home, I just get on with my work. And I am surprised at how much money I am saving.

I would like a flexible combination of work from home and going to the office. I've been freelance for the past two years and primarily been working from home. It gets lonely and in winter, heating bills can be expensive. I could go days and days without actually talking to anyone. Plus getting proper equipment like a comfortable chair, etc, can be pricey too.

Yes i am and loving the extra lie in, not having to drive to work and nobody looking over my shoulder. Almost no stress! :thumbs: :cool:

I know it'll end eventually though :(

I'd quite like to wfh 4 days a week with one day in the office to catch up with people - but I have an expensive commute and a reasonable home office set-up which are major influencing factors.

I quite like it as I can get my work done in half the time that it takes in the office ,then I can do shorter days ( as long as the boss doesnt realise this ) however I do miss the people I work with , so in an ideal world WFH 2 -3 days a week.

I was already doing two days at home, typically.

There are two versions of my job, as a senior software engineer. One is where I just get on and do the work. This is indefinitely sustainable from home.

The other is where I do less myself and spend my time empowering other people - teaching, mentoring, showing juniors how to do things better, talking about why we do things. This is now extremely difficult because WFH has no serendipitous opportunities and is usually a fairly formal, transactional arrangement.

I can get away with doing the first but the loss of the second is a really big negative and I hope we don't embrace permanent remote work.

Been working from home for 3 months now due to Covid, I worked from home 2 days a week before then. Just found out that when our building lease expires in 2 years we will be working from home on a permanent basis. Meanwhile even when Covid is over we will only be going into the office in exceptional circumstances. Not everyone is happy about it but I am.

Are they going to compensate you for using your home as part of their business infrastruture?

The largest part of my job is human interaction, which just isn't the same on the phone.

And every human interaction I've had has been either email or on the phone when I've rung a student. No surprise conversations.

Back in the swirling mists of time when I worked in a building other than my home I was having a particularly stressy and busy day and went storming off somewhere out of the department. A student was sat outside in the sun having a rollie and said something I didn't catch, so I went over.

"You what kidda?"
"It's alright."
"Eh?"
"It's alright. Everything's alright."

Changed my day, and I won't forget it, long after he does (likely forgot immediately).

Little things like that make the hardest parts of the job, the grind, the frustration, well...alright. That's what I miss.

I'm worried about what going back is going to be like but I can't wait. It'll be September.

What's your profession? killer b
I'm a transport consultant I suppose. Desk job most of the time, but I like being around people. I live alone when the kids aren't here (mrs b lives in manchester and I can't see her cause she's shielding) which probably makes the isolation of home working more acute. But I didn't like it before now, on the occasions I've done it.

It's worked for me, by and large. For it to be permanent I'm going to need a more reliable internet connection and a better chair but that's it.

My employers currently think I won't be going back to the office until at least September and that suits me. When I do, I'm going to be suggesting I do 60/40 home/office.

Really appreciate the lack of commute both for the extra hour and a half it gives me and the petrol savings.

Got an interesting test of it coming up next week though. I've got a new procedure to learn and I'm unsure whether that'll be easier or harder remotely. Gut instinct is possibly a bit trickier initially but I'll adapt. We'll see.

I was already doing two days at home, typically.

There are two versions of my job, as a senior software engineer. One is where I just get on and do the work. This is indefinitely sustainable from home.

The other is where I do less myself and spend my time empowering other people - teaching, mentoring, showing juniors how to do things better, talking about why we do things. This is now extremely difficult because WFH has no serendipitous opportunities and is usually a fairly formal, transactional arrangement.

I can get away with doing the first but the loss of the second is a really big negative and I hope we don't embrace permanent remote work.

Agree with all this.

I really worry that a lot of people are going to rush into home working and abandoning offices, hugely underestimating the negative impacts.

Because something works OK for 3 months, doesn't mean it will work in the long term. Everyone who's continued through this working with their colleagues remotely - a lot of that only works because of pre-existing relationships built up through months or years of real-world interaction.

Those serendipitous opportunities are crucial for passing on knowledge and identifying problems early.

For the past few years, I've worked from home, and for myself, so it might seem hypocritical to say that people shouldn't be rushing into doing this, but those years working by myself have taught me what you miss from being physically in a room with other people doing similar stuff. Also, I can only do what I do now because of years working in a company with other people, learning all the stuff that is not written in any textbook anywhere. And - a lot of things I do now, self-employed, spring from relationships formed when I wasn't.

Ironically enough, just before lockdown, I was doing some freelance stuff that involved me going and sitting in an office for a couple of days a week. It did remind me of the things that I don't like about that, but it really highlighted the value of those incidental conversations, the things you can ask people about if they are sat in the same room, but which you wouldn't do in an email, or by phone. Working by myself, I'll come across problems that I don't really know the solution to. It's easy to spend a whole day worrying about something - looking online, looking in books, whatever. Trying to work out what to do. In an office, with other people who do the same job as you, you can just say, um, have you got any idea what the normal way to do this is? And either, someone with different or more experience will say, yeah, just do this - or, everyone will say, oh, we don't know what the answer is to that either, and it doesn't seem like anyone really does. And then the issue that you would have spent all afternoon stressing about is dealt with in a matter of minutes. This is really valuable.

Also, it seems to me that working from home if you're self employed is different to working from home if you are an employee. If you're self employed you have more control over your time and delineation between work and non-work. And you benefit directly from the lack of overheads, and can make that choice yourself. For employees, it seems like a real intrusion into personal, private space, and also kind of parasitising on those overheads. And, it's just aother thing that reinforces inequality - the WFH experience for those with large comfortable homes will be completely different for the WFH experience for those in small flats, or shared houses, or living with extended family, and so on. At least having an office that everyone goes to has some kind of levelling effect, in terms of the environment that you have to do your work in.

So, yeah, it worries me somewhat the enthusiasm that many people seem to be showing for continuing to work from home in the long term.

Also, if you ask nearly anyone who's worked from home for more than a few months, they'll tell you there's a kind of honeymoon period that might wear off after 3 months or 6 months or a year, when the implications of the isolation and lack of imposed structure really start to sink in. Some people really start to struggle - it's not easy.

Agree with all this.

I really worry that a lot of people are going to rush into home working and abandoning offices, hugely underestimating the negative impacts.

Because something works OK for 3 months, doesn't mean it will work in the long term. Everyone who's continued through this working with their colleagues remotely - a lot of that only works because of pre-existing relationships built up through months or years of real-world interaction.

Those serendipitous opportunities are crucial for passing on knowledge and identifying problems early.

For the past few years, I've worked from home, and for myself, so it might seem hypocritical to say that people shouldn't be rushing into doing this, but those years working by myself have taught me what you miss from being physically in a room with other people doing similar stuff. Also, I can only do what I do now because of years working in a company with other people, learning all the stuff that is not written in any textbook anywhere. And - a lot of things I do now, self-employed, spring from relationships formed when I wasn't.

Ironically enough, just before lockdown, I was doing some freelance stuff that involved me going and sitting in an office for a couple of days a week. It did remind me of the things that I don't like about that, but it really highlighted the value of those incidental conversations, the things you can ask people about if they are sat in the same room, but which you wouldn't do in an email, or by phone. Working by myself, I'll come across problems that I don't really know the solution to. It's easy to spend a whole day worrying about something - looking online, looking in books, whatever. Trying to work out what to do. In an office, with other people who do the same job as you, you can just say, um, have you got any idea what the normal way to do this is? And either, someone with different or more experience will say, yeah, just do this - or, everyone will say, oh, we don't know what the answer is to that either, and it doesn't seem like anyone really does. And then the issue that you would have spent all afternoon stressing about is dealt with in a matter of minutes. This is really valuable.

Also, it seems to me that working from home if you're self employed is different to working from home if you are an employee. If you're self employed you have more control over your time and delineation between work and non-work. And you benefit directly from the lack of overheads, and can make that choice yourself. For employees, it seems like a real intrusion into personal, private space, and also kind of parasitising on those overheads. And, it's just aother thing that reinforces inequality - the WFH experience for those with large comfortable homes will be completely different for the WFH experience for those in small flats, or shared houses, or living with extended family, and so on. At least having an office that everyone goes to has some kind of levelling effect, in terms of the environment that you have to do your work in.

So, yeah, it worries me somewhat the enthusiasm that many people seem to be showing for continuing to work from home in the long term.

Also, if you ask nearly anyone who's worked from home for more than a few months, they'll tell you there's a kind of honeymoon period that might wear off after 3 months or 6 months or a year, when the implications of the isolation and lack of imposed structure really start to sink in. Some people really start to struggle - it's not easy.
This is a great post, and rings very true with my experiences during lockdown.

Been doing it for years and love it. Can listen to my choice of music, can help Mrs S with school runs, get to see all the kids plays and whatnot. I go into the office occasionally and enjoy it when I do but prefer being at home if possible. I also do a lot of travelling so it's not actually at home every day.

Getting a good setup helps. I built a garden office about 5 years ago so there is a clear delineation between work and home life.

Not a big fan , mrs21 loves it. I had the option to wfh one day a week before, rarely did it. My job is better with face to face contact , the alternatives aren't as good.

I started a new job in January, which offered me my first opportunity to work from home two or three days a week. I absolutely loved having the freedom to work to my own timetable, get out of bed later, spend more time with my wife etc.

Having had to then convert to full time home working, I'm now three months in and thoroughly depressed, lonely, and miserable. I've had a work project on the go for the last couple of months, which I've made zero headway with, and I had to own up to my boss yesterday that I'd gotten nowhere with it. Seriously considering handing my notice in and using my savings to take me through to the end of the year (when I can go back to the job I was seconded from).

The Bristol office is reopening for key staff next week who struggle to do their jobs from home, and I've asked if I can be one of them. We'll see what they say.

Back
Top Bottom