Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Work starts on the eagerly awaited new Foxtons office on Brixton Road

Chatting to a Black guy I know recently. ( born in Brixton of Carribbean heritage). He did not have your confidence in the "positives". His view was that by the time the Black Cultural Archives building is finished there will not be any Black people left in Brixton with the way things are going.

I'm moving into Brixton Square soon with my girlfriend (who is black). She wants to know if she will be the only black person in the village?

Chatting to a Black guy I know recently. ( born in Brixton of Carribbean heritage). He did not have your confidence in the "positives". His view was that by the time the Black Cultural Archives building is finished there will not be any Black people left in Brixton with the way things are going.
Wouldn't surprise me. :(
Of course, perhaps for some new arrivals, a working-class Brixton of blacks, whites, Poles, Portugeuse, Brazilians, Estonians and every other nationality is a little too "authentic"?

You think this is a joke? I have people I know pushed out of Brixton. I am next on list. So my time here is limited.

Perhaps people like me might do more than green eyed resentment.

You talk of younger generation. Which one is that? Young generation are not just you and people u know.

I have friends who are younger than me and they do not go on like you.

come to West Norwood

people who cant afford to keep up? well yes. what can the government do? London has gained over a million people in recent years and stands to gain millions more. Its a global city that attracts the super rich, to the destitiute and everybody in between...opportunities and jobs are rife here.

if they raise interest rates it will crush people (though reward savers I guess) and lose them votes.

One thing they could/should do...is tax second, third + home owners. Renting out property gives 5%+ returns in a low return environment. Or we could become like Germany where renting is (a) not looked down upon and (b) closely controlled to be affordable for all. Infact thinking about it we need to be more like Germany.

West Norwood is a more extreme example because of the new school/cinema/leisure centre/proximity to brix/dulwich etc

so what are people expected to do, move outwards further and further out of London every 12 months, until the cost of commuting means they can't afford to get to their jobs?

or they downsize? or make compromises? not have a smart phone? or sky?

jesus poverty in this country is an arbitrary relative target set by the government.

trust me, things are only going to get worse over the next 5 years....the fact stock markets are at an all time high means nothing, its all engineered by the governments around the world and cannot be sustained. it will all come crashing down, a great leveller for our generation.

Oh do fuck right off. :rolleyes: There's plenty that have neither a smart phone or Sky

What should they cut down on?

Plus a smart phone won't make a dent in the rent anyway, even on the cheapest places. It's like the flat screen TV thing (or 'TV's as they're known now), people try and make out it's like owning a Porsche or something.

Can't pay the rent? Get rid of the TV and phone. What about next month?

Oh do fuck right off. :rolleyes: There's plenty that have neither a smart phone or Sky

What should they cut down on?
I don't have any mobile, nor indeed a telly. Or benefits. I do however know someone who has wrongly been cut off ESA with no warning and been told they'll have to put in a new claim which will take two months and they aren't entitled to a crisis loan. Should they eat their cat?

I don't have any mobile, nor indeed a telly. Or benefits. I do however know someone who has wrongly been cut off ESA with no warning and been told they'll have to put in a new claim which will take two months and they aren't entitled to a crisis loan. Should they eat their cat?

I reckon secateurz would save it's a good idea as it would save on pet food and vet bills

Plus a smart phone won't make a dent in the rent anyway, even on the cheapest places. It's like the flat screen TV thing (or 'TV's as they're known now), people try and make out it's like owning a Porsche or something.

Can't pay the rent? Get rid of the TV and phone. What about next month?

Yes, don't think people realise how much you'd get for a secondhand tv, or how cheap some of them are to buy in the first place, or that it may have been a present and you didn't spend your benefits on it or that you may have bought it when you were working :rolleyes:

crime? street corner? job? second job? busking? further education? volunteering? mentoring?

or they downsize? or make compromises? not have a smart phone? or sky?

That's right, roll out those tabloid tropes. :facepalm:

jesus poverty in this country is an arbitrary relative target set by the government.

Nope, the actual poverty figure (40% of the average wage or less per household) isn't an arbitrary target set by the government, although promises to lift X number of people out of poverty are.

trust me, things are only going to get worse over the next 5 years....the fact stock markets are at an all time high means nothing...

You don't say!!! :eek: :facepalm:

In fact, stock markets riding high usually do signify something generally an over-confident buyers' market.

...its all engineered by the governments around the world and cannot be sustained.

You twat! :rolleyes:
One thing it isn't is "engineered by the governments". All the governments do is ride the coat-tails of finance and business. Anything they "engineer" is only with the permission of their paymasters. They direct nothing.

it will all come crashing down, a great leveller for our generation.

Wrong again.
Study some history, specifically the history of market failures in the last 150 years. There's one consistent thread.
I'll even tell you what it is - it's that the wealthy mostly keep what they should by rights lose, and that the responsibility for rebuilding the economy falls mostly on those that aren't wealthy. Nothing will "level". All that will happen is that the poor will become poorer, and the wealthy will scrabble harder than ever to escape taxation.

I love this use of bold! if you are dependent on the state, like you clearly are, then what happened to being grateful for what you are given? when is it enough? if you have to be moved to a less expensive area wouldnt you be glad for the roof over your head?

Central bank intervention across the world has got the stock markets to these levels, I dont care what you say. You are not always right.

My leveller comment wasnt aimed at the super wealthy, it was aimed at everybody else. house prices will fall when it all pops. it is your belief that I am wrong, but that necessarily make it so. and your use of bold just makes you like a try hard forum warrior, well versed with too much time on your hands. which is apt.

I love this use of bold! if you are dependent on the state, like you clearly are, then what happened to being grateful for what you are given?
It's not being "given" if you've worked and put money in to the system. It's what you're entitled to.

In fact, you're entitled to it, full stop.

also fair enough. Is that right? sustainable? does it matter given the mahoosive miss allocation of spending across the gvmnt anyway ?

Bloody Hell. Just found another sodding letter from fucking Foxtons lurking by the mat. Must have missed it yesterday. I think this year's 26% rise in Amazon deforestation must be down to them the rate of wasted paper they cause. :mad:

I love this use of bold! if you are dependent on the state, like you clearly are, then what happened to being grateful for what you are given? when is it enough? if you have to be moved to a less expensive area wouldnt you be glad for the roof over your head?

Central bank intervention across the world has got the stock markets to these levels, I dont care what you say. You are not always right.

My leveller comment wasnt aimed at the super wealthy, it was aimed at everybody else. house prices will fall when it all pops. it is your belief that I am wrong, but that necessarily make it so. and your use of bold just makes you like a try hard forum warrior, well versed with too much time on your hands. which is apt.

You speak as if all these people on benefits have never paid into the system

Back
Top Bottom