Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Women (etc): do you wear blouses?

Do you wear blouses?

• Total voters

RubyToogood

RubyTwobikes
These seem to be big in the sewing community at the moment but I do tend to associate them with people like my mother for whom a nice blouse and skirt is the epitome of style.

Is this one of those weird crafting things (like knitters and shawls) or do normal people wear them? Well, normal urbanites anyway... :hmm:

Does the etc include peasants?

I've sometimes wondered what is a blouse. I tried googling. Got contradictory answers ("down to the waist/hip/knee"). Something something folds. And peasants feature a lot.

Wikipedia : A blouse is a loose-fitting upper garment that may be worn by workmen, peasants, artists, women, and children.

So, posters, what is a blouse? Do you all agree on a definition?

Unfortunately, I'm serious. What is a blouse? Why is it different to 'a top'?

Edit. Above 3 posts happened while I was writing.

I've sometimes wondered what is a blouse. I tried googling. Got contradictory answers ("down to the waist/hip/knee"). Something something folds. And peasants feature a lot.

Wikipedia : A blouse is a loose-fitting upper garment that may be worn by workmen, peasants, artists, women, and children.

I thought I knew but now I don't. Any criterion I can think of has exceptions.

I do a bit but wear shirts more often.

I like blouses and would wear them more if they suited me. Having a long body and being biggest at my middle means they often don’t look great. They need to be longline to work on me.

Maybe I should make my own.

I wear shirts but would wear blouses more often if there were more cotton ones out there. I used to like a smock type blouse with loose jeans with rips in kind of thing so there was some contrast.

Yes but made more feminine in some way. And there are blouses that aren't very like shirts at all.

I'm so sorry, this is a deeply boring thread :(
Yeah blouses to me have more shape, maybe a pattern or interestingly shaped collar.

Shirts tend to be plainer and a bit more up and down.

I have no idea what the official definition might be.

I wear shirts but would wear blouses more often if there were more cotton ones out there. I used to like a smock type blouse with loose jeans with rips in kind of thing so there was some contrast.
Yeah this is true, there’s so many synthetic fabrics and I hate it. I think that’s why I ended up with so much denim.

I have got a couple of Seasalt tunic/smock tops so officially in middle age. 😄

I like cotton long sleeves blouses / shirts.
But I also like blouses.. blouses to me are a bit fussier. Maybe with a rounded collar and some more shape to them.
I dont go in for overly fussy ones though. No frills or flouncy bits. They tend not to look that well on my matronly bosom.

I think buttons up the front, with a (rounded?) collar, pale (pastel?) colour, Marks and Spencer or Littlewoods. (I'm probably wrong/biased though as I'm not a fan.)

I think buttons up the front, with a (rounded?) collar, pale (pastel?) colour, Marks and Spencer or Littlewoods. (I'm probably wrong/biased though as I'm not a fan.)

Yeah buttons. I was wondering that. Are they essential? Is that one everyone would agree on?

Sorry I must be as bored as Ruby.

• Haha
Reactions: Sue
So I think we need some clarification. If we're talking sewing community kind of blouse that could be worn with a skirt. I think this might be what RubyToogood means?

1712953006158.png

I might wear something similar to this, a bit less fussy (there's too many tucks), and if it was in cotton or silk, and with this kind of high wasted jeans.

If I could be arsed putting effort into clothes, which I can't at the moment.

Yeah I wear them for work but only with trousers. It's all oversized at the moment, I can wear oversized blouses but not the trousers as well. All mono chrome, some animal patterns (stripes) and some silk-like fabrics which look good on other people but for me just feels like I'm wearing pajamas.

So I think we need some clarification. If we're talking sewing community kind of blouse that could be worn with a skirt. I think this might be what RubyToogood means?

View attachment 419704

I might wear something similar to this, a bit less fussy (there's too many tucks), and if it was in cotton or silk, and with this kind of high wasted jeans.

If I could be arsed putting effort into clothes, which I can't at the moment.
That's very nice. But what's around at the moment is lots of loose, billowy things with big sleeves.

A loose, smock like white blouse with a mustard floral print. It is gathered into a high yoke, has a high neckline and puffed 3/4 length sleeves

A loose white cotton blouse with buttons up the front and very billowy sleeves with two horizontal tucks in them.

A loose grey linen blouse with buttons up the front and very puffy 3/4 length sleeves

Back
Top Bottom