Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Windrush Square, Brixton - news and discussion

It must be pretty old, the conversation started by me only just noticing how massive it was despite passing it everyday for years

London plane trees grow quickly - so it's probably not that old - 100 plus? The old Brixton trees are on Josephine Avenue and Brockwell Park

nothing on Josephine comes close to that size, Brockwell maybe

Josephine Avenue has an old oak tree - probably a few hundred years old. It's little but oaks grow slowly.
The oak at Brockwell Park is considered to be around 500 years old and is probably as big as the plane tree.

Josephine Avenue has an old oak tree - probably a few hundred years old. It's little but oaks grow slowly.
The oak at Brockwell Park is considered to be around 500 years old and is probably as big as the plane tree.

The discussion was on size over age! I will seek out the oaks you mention though

The discussion was on size over age! I will seek out the oaks you mention though

There is a great story around the Josephine Avenue oak - that Queen Elizabeth 1 went on a boat down the Effra to meet Raleigh who lived down that way and they hung out under the oak tree. :D (The Effra wasn't navigational in that manner, there is no evidence that Raleigh lived in Brixton and I think Elizabeth did come to Brixton once but (a) I'm not sure Brixton even existed then except maybe in the name the Brixton hundred and the Brixton Causeway (b) it was to the Stockwell Manor house (when it was on the site of the skateboard park)).

There is a great story around the Josephine Avenue oak - that Queen Elizabeth 1 went on a boat down the Effra to meet Raleigh who lived down that way and they hung out under the oak tree. :D (The Effra wasn't navigational in that manner, there is no evidence that Raleigh lived in Brixton and I think Elizabeth did come to Brixton once but (a) I'm not sure Brixton even existed then except maybe in the name the Brixton hundred and the Brixton Causeway (b) it was to the Stockwell Manor house (when it was on the site of the skateboard park)).
Maybe the Brixton Hill water main had burst again? That's almost navigable.

Maybe the Brixton Hill water main had burst again? That's almost navigable.

oh yes - use of wrong word...

Someone did try to pass an Act so that they could make some part of it navigable however it didn't amount to anything - The path of the river is very easy to see around Central Hill and on Gypsy Road. When you get a big downpour or burst water main (like the one on Brixton road a few years ago), the contours of the landscape can reveal the path of the river - someone I met who lives at the bottom of Central Hill is on the path of the river and when they have heavy rain, the basement gets flooded.

oh yes - use of wrong word...

Someone did try to pass an Act so that they could make some part of it navigable however it didn't amount to anything - The path of the river is very easy to see around Central Hill and on Gypsy Road. When you get a big downpour or burst water main (like the one on Brixton road a few years ago), the contours of the landscape can reveal the path of the river - someone I met who lives at the bottom of Central Hill is on the path of the river and when they have heavy rain, the basement gets flooded.
Wasn't Brixton Water Lane a tributary to the Effra? I read somewhere that it was a stream bed often used as a road (there are still examples of this kind of 'right of way' in the Cotswolds).

Wasn't Brixton Water Lane a tributary to the Effra? I read somewhere that it was a stream bed often used as a road (there are still examples of this kind of 'right of way' in the Cotswolds).
If it was that would be the bit between the Hoot and Dulwich Road.

According to Effra: Lambeth's Underground River published by The Brixton Society in the 1980s, reprinted in 1993 and still available AFAIK the last two tributaries were one from the ponds in Brockwell Park and a stream down Tulse Hill roughly through Tulse Hill Estate.

This map is in the booklet - a hand drawn map illustrating the text.

I don't know if this helps.
Course of River Effra-m.jpg

According to Effra: Lambeth's Underground River published by The Brixton Society in the 1980s, reprinted in 1993 and still available AFAIK the last two tributaries were one from the ponds in Brockwell Park and a stream down Tulse Hill roughly through Tulse Hill Estate.

View attachment 71480
Interesting! That would explain the vented manhole near the Leander Road entrance to the Estate that I can always hear rushing water from.

Interesting! That would explain the vented manhole near the Leander Road entrance to the Estate that I can always hear rushing water from.

There is some story that water springs up behind Leander Road house and that there is a willow tree in the back gardens that is in damper soil (could be complete bullshit!)

It was Henry Hastings, 1st Baron Loughborough in 1664 who obtained an act of Parliament to make the river navigable from Brixton causeway to the Thames.

View attachment 71480
Not sure that's right tbh. There are springs all along Rush Common which have occasionally bubbled to the surface down near the Town Hall, and have now been further channeled in the recent flood relief works. Surely there was a stream (possibly seasonal) running down the hill to meet the Effra somewhere in the centre?

This image, of Brixton Causeway c1845 appears to show water.
brixton-causeway-00052-350.jpg

Not sure that's right tbh. There are springs all along Rush Common which have occasionally bubbled to the surface down near the Town Hall, and have now been further channeled in the recent flood relief works. Surely there was a stream (possibly seasonal) running down the hill to meet the Effra somewhere in the centre?

This image, of Brixton Causeway c1845 appears to show water.
brixton-causeway-00052-350.jpg

I think the water in the picture is actually the road surface. :)

I think the water in the picture is actually the road surface. :)

I wondered that, it might be, it's very hard to tell. But there are definitely springs towards the top of the hill, they're very visible most winters, and the water has to go somewhere. There's also some sort of implication in the name Causeway.

I wondered that, it might be, it's very hard to tell. But there are definitely springs towards the top of the hill, they're very visible most winters, and the water has to go somewhere. There's also some sort of implication in the name Causeway.

Maybe. The paths of rivers is dependent on the geology of the area? A book I've got suggests the Causeway area is made of River Terrace Gravel (made up of stratified gravels and sands) caused by the paths of the Thames and its tributaries.

Just to update this thread:

I wonder who decided they ought to be specified with 'cannon-style heritage shrouds', when all of the rest of the Windrush Square street furniture is polished stainless steel.

It's as though someone decided that they needed to be a) more expensive and b) uglier than necessary.

Plus there doesn't seem to have been any attempt to coordinate the spacing with the paving pattern.

No photo mock ups of the proposal to show what it would look like. Very poor application.

Nearest I could find is this picture.

Large Cannon Bollard - Heritage Street Furniture

Looks llke Council are going to use off the peg run of the mill bollards.

No imagination went into this. Its not in keeping with the rest of the square as Jimbeau points out.

If the Council insist this is necessary the should get proper design work done.

The meagre amount of docs associated with the application shows no design input..

They probably asked the police. Which would explain why its such shit design.

From the letter this was put together by an officer.

The Council letter goes on about importance of Windrush square yet this permanent alteration of square has not been thought out. It shows no respect for the existing layor/ design.

IMO it undermines the square.

Its also going to be visually intrusive as the black bollards are very different element added to the square.

Whole point of design was its openness.

Last edited:
No photo mock ups of the proposal to show what it would look like. Very poor application.

Nearest I could find is this picture.

Large Cannon Bollard - Heritage Street Furniture

Looks llke Council are going to use off the peg run of the mill bollards.

No imagination went into this. Its not in keeping with the rest of the square as Jimbeau points out.

If the Council insist this is necessary the should get proper design work done.

The meagre amount of docs associated with the application shows no design input..

They probably asked the police. Which would explain why its such shit design.

From the letter this was put together by an officer.

The Council letter goes on about importance of Windrush square yet this permanent alteration of square has not been thought out. It shows no respect for the existing layor/ design.

IMO it undermines the square.

Its also going to be visually intrusive as the black bollards are very different element added to the square.

Whole point of design was its openness.
Well I agree with most of that.
I'm not sure what they have submitted to themselves should really have been validated, although perhaps different minimum requirements apply to this compared to a normal planning application.
For the benefit of those who can't be bothered to look in the planning database:

Screen Shot 2020-08-24 at 23.24.20.jpgScreen Shot 2020-08-24 at 23.24.40.jpg

Back
Top Bottom