Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Windrush Square, Brixton - news and discussion

@Pat_b - ah, I'm really pleased you've read the book - shame the author only gave you such a vague quote though!!

also: I don't recall Windrush Square being used by skaters, not in the period just before the redevelopment anyway, maybe earlier on.. probably not that attractive when Stockwell Skate Park is so near.

Can anyone tell me whether people used to skate at the square before it was redeveloped? I know the use of the space after the redevelopment for skateboarding has been covered earlier in the thread but wasn't sure if it used to be used in this way? Based on my very limited memories of it/photos it seems it wouldn't have really worked as there was too much grass/brick but I could be wrong.
When I first moved to Brixton in early 81 a lot of young people skated everywhere but that area wasn't particularly used more than anywhere else I don't think. Gramsci has lived in Brixton longer than me, and can be relied upon for good info about that sort of thing.

I have a few different postcards of the old town centre which I'll try to scan in at some point. The thing which really stands out on all of them (including yours above) is just how little those Victorian senders had to say to each other.

isn't that because they sent them two or three times a day? 3 daily deliveries back then, and (just imagine it) no phones. So p/cs were the common way to communicate quickly.

I have a few different postcards of the old town centre which I'll try to scan in at some point. The thing which really stands out on all of them (including yours above) is just how little those Victorian senders had to say to each other.
Don't forget that some folks would knock out a vast amount of letters every day, and with up to ten deliveries per day, some fired off postcards like we use text messaging.

Here's an interesting shot of how the square looked in 1960. I'm liking the grass, trees and gardens.

tate-library-01747-750.jpg

http://www.ideal-homes.org.uk/lambeth/lambeth-assets/galleries/brixton/tate-library-1960

It's pretty, but it's atrocious urban design. Pedestrians coralled with fences and major desire lines blocked off.

So much better now that The Oval and Rushcroft Road have been closed to traffic and you can walk straight through the square from the CHL crossing. The large pedestrian area around the tree is totally closed off from three sides.

Is there a technical difference between "No real improvement" and "Not really any better or worse"?
The real question should have been:
"Do you think the new square represents value for money given the £x millions spent on it?"
or...
"Do you think a better job could have been done for the £x million investment"?

The real question should have been:
"Do you think the new square represents value for money given the £x millions spent on it?"
or...
"Do you think a better job could have been done for the £x million investment"?
I'm surpised you've forgotten the giant thread on which exactly that question was examined.

Back
Top Bottom