Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Windrush Square, Brixton - news and discussion

yes I accept that, but did you know when umpteen millions of public money was being ploughed into this project that one- and only one- cafe would be able to colonise a great chunk of the square for a few quid a year? I didn't.
Indeed!

So this public space is apparently up for rent to commercial enterprises? Can the entire space be rented out? What on earth is the council's policy on it?

tbh I'm slightly unsure what I think. On the one hand I don't want commerce intruding on public space, but on the other sitting out there with a drink and a nibble is clearly a popular thing to do and I'm actually not against people enjoying themselves.

I am, though, sure that a grand a year is far, far too little money for what they're getting. Plus, of course, that fifteen quid an hour, all in, after 7pm.

tbh I'm slightly unsure what I think. On the one hand I don't want commerce intruding on public space, but on the other sitting out there with a drink and a nibble is clearly a popular thing to do and I'm actually not against people enjoying themselves.

I am, though, sure that a grand a year is far, far too little money for what they're getting. Plus, of course, that fifteen quid an hour, all in, after 7pm.
I wonder if they'll be putting braziers out in the cold weather to make the most of their grand.

Wonder what Brixton's other commercial enterprises think about it.

I would agree that the council should be getting as much revenue out of it as possible. I don't think the current arrangement (as depicted in that photo) looks like something of detriment to others' use of the public space though.

I think a first step is to find out what they are *actually* paying though.

It would be interesting to compare with how much the farmers' market stands pay for their pitches.

I think a first step is to find out what they are *actually* paying though..

yes I agree, the 'tables and chairs' document* may not be the only charge.

* I've just reread it, and realised it's actually £20 per hour after 7pm, not £15 as I said previously.

We can't have benches around that just anyone can sit on - they might stay there all day or sleep there or something and look untidy.

That's my main objection to the way they've redeveloped the outside space in front of the RFH. It's all closed off and watched over by security people and generally sanitised now. It's horrible and soulless. I much preferred it as it was.

I would agree that the council should be getting as much revenue out of it as possible.
This is what is all wrong about the management of public spaces. No they should not be seeking to maximise revenue! They should be seeking to maximise the goodness of the place pure and simple.

This is what is all wrong about the management of public spaces. No they should not be seeking to maximise revenue! They should be seeking to maximise the goodness of the place pure and simple.

Yeah I thought about qualifying that statement in case someone came and said something like this.

Having decided to allow a section of the square to be used by the Ritzy, the council should be getting as much revenue out of it as possible.

Obviously the revenue potential should not be the only or main factor taken into consideration when deciding whether or not to allow it in the first place.

Hello

I've lurked on Urban 75 for a while but haven't posted. I'm studying part time and working part time. I have to write an essay about whether we should feel positive or negative about public space in the 21st Century with reference to a case study. Most urban public space debate is fairly negative, and that was my kneejerk reaction as well, but my impression of the Windrush Square redevelopment and the responses on here are relatively positive.

I live in Peckham but have been working in Brixton a lot over the last year so have spent quite a bit of time here but before that didn't come too often. Would anyone be able to give me their impressions of what the space was like before? When it was called Trinity Gardens. Was it as widely used as it is now or less widely used? Google image search doesn't throw up too many photos, does anyone have any photos of the space then? Does anyone know when it was redesigned before that? Questions questions...

If anyone would be willing to have a chat about the space in person then there'd be a few free pints in it for you.

Hello

I've lurked on Urban 75 for a while but haven't posted. I'm studying part time and working part time. I have to write an essay about whether we should feel positive or negative about public space in the 21st Century with reference to a case study. Most urban public space debate is fairly negative, and that was my kneejerk reaction as well, but my impression of the Windrush Square redevelopment and the responses on here are relatively positive.

I live in Peckham but have been working in Brixton a lot over the last year so have spent quite a bit of time here but before that didn't come too often. Would anyone be able to give me their impressions of what the space was like before? When it was called Trinity Gardens. Was it as widely used as it is now or less widely used? Google image search doesn't throw up too many photos, does anyone have any photos of the space then? Does anyone know when it was redesigned before that? Questions questions...

If anyone would be willing to have a chat about the space in person then there'd be a few free pints in it for you.

Trinity Gardens is another square altogether. It was recently redeveloped after winning a grant on a TV show.

You're right. I know Trinity Gardens well, I have no idea why I put that. What was it called before Windrush Square?

Am I right in thinking the current Windrush Square created by the joining together of Tate Library Gardens and an older, smaller Windrush Square?

Don't know what the bits were called. They took over the end of a road to join the bit in front of the library to a walled/iron fenced off small grassy square that was very rarely used.

Hello

There's loads of archive material about Tate Gardens/Windrush Square on urban75:

http://www.urban75.org/brixton/history/tate1.html
http://www.urban75.org/brixton/history/tate2.html
http://www.urban75.org/brixton/history/tate-library-garden.html
http://www.urban75.org/brixton/history/tate.html

Hello

You should read this thread too:

http://www.urban75.net/forums/threa...quare-represents-good-value-for-money.255193/

that will tell you a bit about people's feelings about public space and what it is "worth".

I used to use Windrush square a lot, I rarely do now. I liked to sit on the raised grassy bit with my kids. It just looks a bit sterile now. Easier to cut through than it was though. I quite like the rushes sculpture.

It does actually make me sad that the older boozers got gentrified out of their old pubs and now have been controlled drinking zoned out of Windrush Square, yet posher, louder, younger, better dressed (and largely white) drinkers never seem to get fined and moved on.

I know the following song isn't anything to do with Windrush Square or Brixton, but I find a line in the chorus goes through my head when I observe stuff like that happening.

They're tryin' to wash us away
They're tryin' to wash us away

It does actually make me sad that the older boozers got gentrified out of their old pubs and now have been controlled drinking zoned out of Windrush Square, yet posher, louder, younger, better dressed (and largely white) drinkers never seem to get fined and moved on.
The irony is that the younger, richer replacements often cause far more of a nuisance too, as a stroll down Coldharbour Lane at kicking out time will testify.

Hello

Hi Pat - you should pick up a book called Ground Control by Anna Minton. It's a superb look at public Vs private space, very readable, fascinating and often quite shocking (in terms of policy and selling off public space). There was an updated edition published this year with a chapter on the Olympics. It's a great book. The added bonus being that the author Anna Minton lives in Brixton (iirc)..

Thanks (belatedly) for all your responses. They've been really helpful. Simon SW2 I got Ground Control for Christmas and it is a great book. I tweeted (my first tweet) Anna Minton for her opinion on Windrush Square hoping for a quote. She said 'it's very good', so that's that.

Can anyone tell me whether people used to skate at the square before it was redeveloped? I know the use of the space after the redevelopment for skateboarding has been covered earlier in the thread but wasn't sure if it used to be used in this way? Based on my very limited memories of it/photos it seems it wouldn't have really worked as there was too much grass/brick but I could be wrong.

Back
Top Bottom