Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Windrush Square, Brixton - news and discussion

4630 sq.m.
£2.9m

£626/sq.m.

This is a good price, for town center urban landscaping

Without wanting to sound like the Taxpayer's Alliance - I think anyone involved with the urban design professions has to ask why are such projects so expensive in absolute terms, and not just relative to other publicly procured projects.

From memory it requires about 60 bricks per square metre and top quality pavers can be got for under £400 for a pallet of 400, so the raw materials amounted to less than 10% of overall costs per square metre.

So where exactly was the value added (or the money wasted on fruitless activities/poorly co-ordinated tasks) ? I know there was some more fundamental work to relay drains and create storm chambers etc [although it is not clear whether those were charged to the cost of the square or the street works], but otherwise this was not a major piece of civil engineering.

I wonder if they're ever going to fix the fountain or if the Windrush Puddle is set to become a permanent feature of Windswept Square.

Without wanting to sound like the Taxpayer's Alliance - I think anyone involved with the urban design professions has to ask why are such projects so expensive in absolute terms, and not just relative to other publicly procured projects.

It's a valid question to ask ... although if you are talking about "expensive" then it has to be in relation to something else.

It's a little simplistic to talk about raw materials just in terms of the cost of stone pavers though ... there are all the specially shaped ones to form steps and so forth, granite kerb edges which need to be made to the correct radius before they arrive on site, and so on. It's not like you just order 4000 square metres of paving slabs. Then there's all the other stuff - lighting and all the wiring for it, the partly matured trees, and other street furniture.

And then there are labour costs and machinery and all the overheads a contractor has to pay to keep a site running.

It would be interesting to see how it breaks down, like Crispy says. Someone else can do the FOI for that, though.

I think people are getting a bit too hung up on whether or not it's a "square". No design could eliminate the A23, or magically turn a residential street into an "active frontage". It would have been nice to redirect the traffic going up Effra road so that it formed a continuous space with the St Matthews Gardens; this hasn't happened due to residents' objections so you can't blame that on the designers.

It doesn't matter whether or not it's a "square". It's a public space. There are lots of public spaces in lots of cities and each is different and gets used differently. The brief here was to improve this bit of public space in such a way that it works in the way that is required in this location. Most people seem to agree it's a significant improvement on what was there before, and it appears to have been delivered on a reasonable budget. It's not perfect but it's pretty good considering the nature of the client(s) and the budget.

I wasn't really criticising it (the redesign) on the basis of not being a 'proper' square, I was saying that any redesign would have been screwed by the A23. There's something about having a thundering motorway next to a space that pretty much destroys it. Editor posted some photos comparing Windrush with the South Bank a while back on this thread and although you can argue it's an unfair comparison in some ways it did make me wonder why that bit of the southbank is so nice compared to WS - and one key reason for me is that it's on the river, not on an urban motorway.

FWIW - and some on here may not be surprised to hear this - I'd close the road and happily.

Bring back the Effra!

Maybe you could see if you could get something done about it beyond complaining on here.
With my critical article on Windrush Square being #1 in Google for "Windrush Square fountain" and the threads here coming in #2 and #3, I'm sure if anyone gives a fuck at the council they would have already read my comments.

I would have thought that a brief email to a local councillor or MP would have much more chance of actually resulting in some action than relying on someone at the council idly googling "Windrush Square Fountain", seeing some stuff on the internet and volunteering to do something about it.

The A23 isn't a motorway, thundering or otherwise. It's a 2.5-lane road with a 30mph limit. Not a motorway. But then you are a crazy person when it comes to cars.

As someone who has to try and cross it at least once a day I beg to differ. It's not literally a motorway of course but it is a multi-lane road which is very busy, carries a lot of heavy traffic and the 30mph limit isn't exactly universally observed.

But then again I'm another crazy person when it comes to cars.

I wonder if they're ever going to fix the fountain or if the Windrush Puddle is set to become a permanent feature of Windswept Square.

Maybe you could see if you could get something done about it beyond complaining on here.

With my critical article on Windrush Square being #1 in Google for "Windrush Square fountain" and the threads here coming in #2 and #3, I'm sure if anyone gives a fuck at the council they would have already read my comments.

Ed - you've done a great job setting up this website and it is a real asset to the community but I am surprised that you think it should stop you having to take the same consultation routes as anyone else. As well as all the great stuff this site is also mixed in with quite a lot of shit (petty arguments, abuse, etc..) I would be pretty disappointed to think that someone at the council was spending too much time filtering through all of that looking for some gems from anonymous posters. If you have taken the time to write a constructive article send it to key people: councillors, MPs, Town Centre Manager, Chief Executive and Planning. You can do it by email and it will take you five minutes. You could even add key quotes from posters on U75. And they have to respond. The only advice I would give you for any such correspondence is that you will be taken more seriously if you are seen to give some credit as well as constructive criticism - the council reps are often a sensitive bunch and your voice will easily get lost in amongst all the angry people who do nothing but complain all day (which I am sure you are not).

I would have thought that a brief email to a local councillor or MP would have much more chance of actually resulting in some action than relying on someone at the council idly googling "Windrush Square Fountain", seeing some stuff on the internet and volunteering to do something about it.

I actually went to the committee meeting at which the plans for the square were finally approved. There were no details for the fountain and I spoke for a minute or so on how the fountain would be the centrepiece and how there was an opportunity to do something special like Somerset House or the temporary one outside RFH, etc.. The committee seemed to be completely (dare I say enthusiastically) in agreement and added a specific condition that the design of the fountain would have to be separately approved. Not sure who eventually signed it off but unfortunately conditions do not have to be publically consulted and I presume it was just a box ticking exercise by a junior rather than a properly considered approval: "Have they submitted a design for a fountain? Yes. Has it been submitted on the correct size piece of paper? Yes. Is the scale correct and is there an arrow showing north? Yes. Is it time to go home? Almost. TICK!". I imagine that the council themselves aren't too impressed with the fountain and I'll certainly be asking the Town Centre Manager whether there is any likelihood that it could be changed - often these things are easier to get done if tied into another project.

That said, I have been looking forward to the new square since it was proposed in about 2000 and I am really pleased with the final result. Given a blank canvass and autocratic free reign it is not entirely what I would have built but it is a vast improvement and I love walking across it (just not too close to the fountain when the wind is blowing!). Yes you can pick holes in it but you can pick holes in anything.

I should also add that nothing is likely to come of a single letter. If you think it is important you have to keep working at it until you get the attention of a sympathetic ear and then help maintain its momentum.

As someone who has to try and cross it at least once a day I beg to differ. It's not literally a motorway of course but it is a multi-lane road which is very busy, carries a lot of heavy traffic and the 30mph limit isn't exactly universally observed.

But then again I'm another crazy person when it comes to cars.

I ride down it every day, busier than some roads in London, not as busy as others - personally I find it easier and safer to ride down than many other roads I have to take on my commute, but horses for courses...

The A23 isn't a motorway, thundering or otherwise. It's a 2.5-lane road with a 30mph limit. Not a motorway. I am unable to understand the concept of simile. Especially when it comes to the A23 in Brixton which is a whispering glade of sylvan delight, casting mellow vibes where so e'er it goes. But then I am a crazy person when it comes to cars.

Fixed it for you.

A23 doesn't bother me at all when I'm sitting in windrush square but it's right outside my living room window too so I'm used to chilling out to its mellow vibes.

Well the nice thing is that the A23 northbound no longer has to go up Effra road, making the grassy bit much more pleasant. A damn shame it wasn't closed altogether.

As a council tax payer, I'm happy enough with the remodelled area. It looks better, seems to have more than just the collection of characters getting pissed in front of the Ritzy around it when I go past, and it's not been horrendously expensive, plus there's been a really useful traffic flow remodelling thing happen which benefits me as a pedestrian, cyclist, bus user and car driver.

As far as I can make out from the responses I got, the funding all came from TfL and the LDA, with the exception of c. £55,000 from Lambeth which paid for the "clienting" of the design.

So what percentage of this anecdotal figure of £10M was consultants or internal fees? Do you know the breakdown?

If I knew the breakdown I would post it.

Feel free to do an FOI to find out.

Which are the consultants that you generally feel should be dispensed with?

It would have been informative to have known the scope of works and how the costings were apportioned. For example whether the intrinsically linked road works to remove the one way system (you referred to this work previously as "stuff") is included in the £3M figure. In addition I have suggested that professional (internal) fees probably far outweigh the cost of actual work undertaken. It appears you've asked a simplistic question to which youve received a simplistic answer and so noone is any the wiser.

Back
Top Bottom