Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Will I die? Organic red quinoa, best before May 2021?

Will I die

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Oh that's so wrong. :D

Gimme a beanburger any day, but a quinoa burger?

There are so many other things that are just as good for you and actually taste nice. Lentils, for instance. The world doesn't need quinoa.
We certainly don't need it shipped from Africa because it sounds posh. Avocados can get fucked too.

We certainly don't need it shipped from Africa because it sounds posh. Avocados can get fucked too.
South America. A Peruvian ex-colleague used to bemoan the rise in prices of what is a staple food there due to demand over here. (She also gave me a load of recipes. Still didn't do it for me.)

South America. A Peruvian ex-colleague used to bemoan the rise in prices of what is a staple food there due to demand over here. (She also gave me a load of recipes. Still didn't do it for me.)
South America, I stand corrected.
Avocados create the same problems, where the locals can no longer afford them because 'we simply must have them.'

Reactions: Sue
The only thing that 'best before' means is that the quality will have deteriorated. Though how quinoa can get any worse escapes me.

"Best before dates are about quality​

It is more than just about quality with Quinoa - Which is amongst the foods most associated with fungal Aflatoxin contamination. Potentially pretty nasty in the short term and a recognised carcinogenic in the long term.

You don't want foods at high risk (incl Maize, Peanuts/Nut Butters) hanging around for any longer than they need to be as Aflatoxin levels increase over time and especially with exposure to atmospheric moisture.

Avocados are also imported from South Africa, and Israel.

Had quinoa a couple of times and found it gritty and unpleasant. It also felt wrong depriving S.American folks of their foodstuffs. After my experiences, they’re more than welcome to the damned stuff.

South America, I stand corrected.
Avocados create the same problems, where the locals can no longer afford them because 'we simply must have them.'
Surely the case with a lot of imported foods?

What's all this weirdness going on about the taste of quinoa here? It tastes of very little, but then so does couscous, or for that matter bulgar or even rice. At the very least you salt it, like you would with any foodstuff that doesn't taste much, and if you've any sense you boil it in stock of some sort. All good dietary advice suggests you eat a variety of wholegrains rather than relying heavily on one or two whitened carb sources as most people do, and quinoa provides another option. If you want to get all caught up in grain-choice-as-class-warfare then go right ahead but it's a bit weird and the taste stuff is just nonsense. I dream of a world where everyone can afford to and chooses to eat a variety of grains in order to improve their health. God the bar is so low for dreaming these days.

I was just gonna reply saying I thought quinoa was OK. But I've confused it with couscous.

Actually wait, I've got some quinoa in the cupboard from last year. Not got round to trying it. Presume it will be fine, it's dry and unopened.

Reactions: Sue
It is more than just about quality with Quinoa - Which is amongst the foods most associated with fungal Aflatoxin contamination. Potentially pretty nasty in the short term and a recognised carcinogenic in the long term.

You don't want foods at high risk (incl Maize, Peanuts/Nut Butters) hanging around for any longer than they need to be as Aflatoxin levels increase over time and especially with exposure to atmospheric moisture.

I have to throw out my peanut butter as well now?
:(
It's been in the fridge a month or 2 I think.

For climate change reasons or other reasons?
Mostly for the food miles, but other reasons too.
It's not shipped because it has a posh-sounding name, it's because it has a different nutrition profile to other grains Head-to-Head Comparison: Quinoa vs. Rice | UPMC HealthBeat

Do you object to shipping rice from Asia?
Yes, rice is a massive problem, not just the CO2 but the methane problem. There are alternatives to rice and bird seed.

Yes, rice is a massive problem, not just the CO2 but the methane problem. There are alternatives to rice and bird seed.
Well you’ll be eating potatoes mate cos there’s not many paddy fields in Ireland iirc

Does bulk-shipping of carb sources really account for that much compared to the movement of fresh fruit and veg thousands of miles? I have always assumed it is the latter that is the big issue.

Anyway, good luck getting British people off rice.

Does bulk-shipping of carb sources really account for that much compared to the movement of fresh fruit and veg thousands of miles? I have always assumed it is the latter that is the big issue.

Anyway, good luck getting British people off rice.
It all adds up, and there's plenty of rice in Italy.

I have self-sown ornamental amaranth in my garden at the moment though it never seems to set edible-sized seed ...
And a whole load of fat hen coincidentally sprang up in a pot - that's the traditional UK equivalent

Both are usually eaten as spinach in cooler places ...

It all adds up, and there's plenty of rice in Italy.
Dude, you gotta pick your battles. I doubt Italy produces enough to feed itself in rice. Reducing meat consumption and eating seasonal local veg would be a big enough change for most people, and difficult enough to achieve. They would also have more effect than giving up rice. You're never going to sell hair-shirt purity in food production to people, and I think trying to do it gets in the way of making the more significant changes.

I've never knowingly eaten quinoa, or maybe I did once and I've forgotten about it.

I would be wary about eating organic anything past its best-before date. Organic producers and processors already skimp on the more powerful pesticides, so there's a good chance that they might also skimp on the more effective preservatives as well. Medieval nonsense.

Back
Top Bottom