Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Will I die? Organic red quinoa, best before May 2021?

Will I die

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

farmerbarleymow

I'm Petee's spirit animal
Somehow ended up with about 3kg of this (Suma - it was being sold cheap in the local Coop), but never got round to using it. I'm going to cook some tomorrow - and hopefully it won't have turned poisonous. :hmm:

The only thing that 'best before' means is that the quality will have deteriorated. Though how quinoa can get any worse escapes me.

"Best before dates are about quality​

The best before date, sometimes shown as BBE (best before end), is about quality and not safety. The food will be safe to eat after this date but may not be at its best. Its flavour and texture might not be as good. Best before dates appear on a wide range of foods including:

• frozen foods
  • dried foods
  • tinned foods
The best before date will only be accurate if the food is stored according to the instructions on the packaging"

I used to like Grape nuts. Probably still do but not eaten or seen them in years.

Quinoa is ok in that it works with sauce based meals. It's not the most delicious staple, but it's one of the most nutritious.

About as long as people have pretended to like it because it sounds posh when they pronounce it.
I don't think anyone actively likes it, they mostly just bought the superfood line it was marketed with, they eat it cause its supposed to be dead good for you. Maybe it is, can't say I've looked into it too hard.

They're careful not to patronise, that is to say talk down to, people then. :D

It is classed as a pseudo-cereal, ‘pseudo’ meaning ‘false’

yet they let the amazing fact of essential amino acids pass unexplained.

bowl of rice and beans will give you all those. Or any meat or fish. Or milk. Or an egg.

Stuff only entered my awareness a couple of years ago as I started seeing the word written down. Then I started seeing it in the supermarket. Then I tried some. Unlike the op, I didn't buy three kilos of the tasteless, texturally unpleasant shite.

EDITED: got the wrong person who was foolish enough to buy 3kg of quinoa. Soz.

Last edited:
3kg is a fuck lot of quinoa.

Im sure itll be fine for months or years longer. Quite nice boiled up with a stock cube btw. Ive also made burgers out of it.. you could make loads and then freeze some.

3kg is a fuck lot of quinoa.

Im sure itll be fine for months or years longer. Quite nice boiled up with a stock cube btw. Ive also made burgers out of it.. you could make loads and then freeze some.
Oh that's so wrong. :D

Gimme a beanburger any day, but a quinoa burger?

There are so many other things that are just as good for you and actually taste nice. Lentils, for instance. The world doesn't need quinoa.

Back
Top Bottom