Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Will I die #2685 (out of date Harvey's Bristol Cream Sherry)

When you say close to 20% do you mean 15% close or 25% close?

Don't try to deflect me from my Goodman order so you can slip in before me :mad:

I checked and it's 21%, called Prohibition - they do sloe gin, a couple of flavours of rum and other things. I also checked and it says best before 2017 :( I'll swear I bought it after that,

my post was intended as a gentle leg pull, not a serious comment.

apologies if it was ill conceived or came across as having a dig.

Oh not at all! I was expecting a bit of friendly ribbing when I posted I was drinking shit sherry tbf :D

Yeah, I'd draw the line at drinking Harvey's but martini - that'd take me straight back to my teens when we used to buy that or vodka or special brew and get pissed in the park. I'd be curious to see how it tastes after all these years - we used to drink it neat so probably not very nice. :(

It has a bit of a unique taste tbf, I tried some neat - it reminds me heavily of when I was in Romania and tried a locally produced sweet red wine, it is not something I would buy in other words.

I think I am going to have to look at what I can do with it in terms of cocktails or with mixers. It was ok with some lemonade.

Anything that involves cooking with red wine can be adapted for red vermouth. It's already got herbs and spices in it! But if its thoroughly nasty Id throw it away

Fantastic, I don't know why I hadn't thought of that. I'll give it a go (and drink the Shiraz that I was going to use for cooking).

And it's not "gone off" nasty, it's "I don't particularly like it" if that makes sense

I like a cup of Bovril with a sherry in it.

Which sounds better when Noel Coward says it in ‘In Which We Serve’. Good use for shit sherry though.

A mate and I also had port and lemon ( port and lemonade) for a joke in the pub about a month ago. It’s was actually really nice and if any one gives me a bottle of not very good port again I’ll drink it like that....

I actually got a kit that supposedly brews (not distills) close to 20% alcohol sloe gin. I've been meaning to try it for ages but it looks a bit complicated with temperature controls and things for a rayburn :( .

Not sure that makes sense... you don’t brew sloe gin. It’s gin with sloes in. Now sloe wine, sure, that’s probably a thing, but flavour profile would be very different.

Port is vile. Unless tawny, in which case it tastes pleasantly like sherry.
I’ve said it before but it bears repeating, when I lived in Porto there were at least eight different basic styles of port, from light dry to dark sweet, much the same as with sherry. Within the basic styles were many different variations. I thought I didn’t like it, but when locals started introducing me to the types, and ways of drinking it I completely changed my mind. Having said that, the port in the U.K. is often not a good reflection of the drink.

I’ve said it before but it bears repeating, when I lived in Porto there were at least eight different basic styles of port, from light dry to dark sweet, much the same as with sherry. Within the basic styles were many different variations. I thought I didn’t like it, but when locals started introducing me to the types, and ways of drinking it I completely changed my mind. Having said that, the port in the U.K. is often not a good reflection of the drink.

Yeah, I’m sure there must be... I’ve not had a great selection. Mostly just seems like not very good sickly sweet wine here. Same goes for sherry of course, but you can get a fairly wide variety at reasonable price points here. m&s have a good 350ml bottle range.

Not sure that makes sense... you don’t brew sloe gin. It’s gin with sloes in. Now sloe wine, sure, that’s probably a thing, but flavour profile would be very different.

I know, it sounds like magic which is why I got it. There's a small bottle of sloe essence which you add to the basic mix - I presume there's similar for the rum and other ones. I'd imagine the yeast is a bit like the champagne yeasts - white wine sort of thing with neutral flavour.

I could have spoken with authority if I'd brewed it instead of leaving it in my 'things to do' pile :(

Yeah, I’m sure there must be... I’ve not had a great selection. Mostly just seems like not very good sickly sweet wine here. Same goes for sherry of course, but you can get a fairly wide variety at reasonable price points here. m&s have a good 350ml bottle range.
That is the problem with both sherry and port. The stuff that is really good is not usually available in the supermarkets. You need a good vintner, or to have some idea of what you are looking at.

Opened sherry or port can go off. Even badly stored (eg in full sunlight on a windowsill) unopened sherry or port can go off. It won’t kill you, mainly because you won’t drink it after the first sip.

But if it’s sealed and the seal is intact and it’s been stored somewhere cool and dark, it should last long beyond any best before. (Though not eternally).

Martini is nice. It's a toned down vermouth but if you like bitter, dry drinks, Martini is just that. It was considered extremely exotic in the 70s.

I've got some in my cupboard right now for making risotto and honestly, if I ran out of booze, I'd drink it.

But then I am the sort of person who goes "yeah that weird Spanish liqueur that's been lurking for 20 years - let's drink that!"

• Wow
Reactions: Sue
Martini is just like Aperol which very much seems to be the drink du jour. In 10 years time, everyone will be wondering why they drank that. If they are idiots. Because Aperol is lovely but, ya know, fashion.

Taylors, Warres, Dows & Grahams lbv all veh nice all generally available
Try Williams & Humbert. Much better than any other readily available sherry. In my opinion of course. I must also say that I’m biased because I taught some of the owners.

Try Williams & Humbert. Much better than any other readily available sherry. In my opinion of course. I must also say that I’m biased because I taught some of the owners.
Have never really liked sherry but haven't tried many so will look out for it, ta :) .

Back
Top Bottom