Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Will Gary Lineker be presenting Motd on Saturday?

Didn't David Mellor present 606 whilst a sitting MP? Presumably the latter meant he occasionally passed comment on government policy.

Also famous for shitting himself in the World Cup Semi Final :eek:
I was reading the news with my daughter and she noticed the name Lineker and asked who it was and wanted to read about it. I told her it was Gary Lineker and she said 'that's the man you showed me pooing himself during a football game'. I don't even remember showing her (though it's the sort of thing I would do) so it must have been ages ago.

Didn't David Mellor present 606 whilst a sitting MP? Presumably the latter meant he occasionally passed comment on government policy.
He did, I recall him not presenting it during the run up to the election period though.

Half of his problem is that he is ridiculously overpaid, so of course people are going to have a go at him. The BBC Singers choir is to be abolished. Their entire salary bill is less than half Mr. Lineker's BBC pay. Surely they can find someone to talk about football for a lot less cash. The BBC is a public service broadcaster; they can develop talent and allow it to go elsewhere when it gets too expensive.

Half of his problem is that he is ridiculously overpaid, so of course people are going to have a go at him. The BBC Singers choir is to be abolished. Their entire salary bill is less than half Mr. Lineker's BBC pay. Surely they can find someone to talk about football for a lot less cash. The BBC is a public service broadcaster; they can develop talent and allow it to go elsewhere when it gets too expensive.
Yeh there's no end of people who can talk about football. But if they're going to kick someone off it should be alan shearer, who kicked neil lennon in the head and threatened to quit the england team if he received any punishment, rather than someone like lineker who was not booked once in his career

On R4 last night, there was some Tory MP saying Lineker had been made famous by the BBC.

Now I know little about sport but even I know he was famous for being a footballer (Leicester and England and Spain somewhere I think?) and for never getting booked and that's presumably how he got into the Match of the Day thing. :confused:

He also soiled himself mid-match and left his wife for a younger woman

On R4 last night, there was some Tory MP saying Lineker had been made famous by the BBC.

Now I know little about sport but even I know he was famous for being a footballer (Leicester and England and Spain somewhere I think?) and for never getting booked and that's presumably how he got into the Match of the Day thing. :confused:
Lineker is also the only player to have been the top scorer in England with three clubs: Leicester City, Everton and Tottenham Hotspur.

I suspect just like you Sue, he'd like to forget he played for Everton.

Yeh there's no end of people who can talk about football. But if they're going to kick someone off it should be alan shearer, who kicked neil lennon in the head and threatened to quit the england team if he received any punishment, rather than someone like lineker who was not booked once in his career
He may be a nice chap, and have an exemplary record as a player, but TV presenters don't need to be paid north of a million quid, certainly not for a public service broadcaster....ratings are not the most important thing...it's not like he's there to sell potato crisps.

There are many esteemed popsters here who would probably be happy to pontificate on the google box on a Sunday afternoon for a modest contribution to the server fund and a couple of pints.

Tonight with words you've spoken
You say that they're nazi scum
But will your tweet be deleted
When the bun fight (When the bun fight)
Headlines tomorrow morning's (tomorrow morning's) Sun?

I'd like to know that your posts
Are posts I can be sure of
So tell me now, and I won't ask again
Are you still presenting on suuuunday?

Back
Top Bottom