Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Help Wifi wont connect to internet on laptop

Elpenor

Dancing as fast as I can
It works fine on my phone but not on my laptop. Connection just says “no internet, secured”

I have tried:

Restarting WiFi router

Restarting WiFi adaptor on laptop

Forgetting wifi connection on laptop and reinputting password

This happened last night

Other things which use the internet connection like my phone, smart tv etc are working fine so it’s a laptop problem I assume.

There are various settings in the laptop I don’t understand. I could take a picture of these I suppose

I don’t have an Ethernet port on my laptop so I can’t try a cabled connection - I have an hdmi, two usb ports and something that looks like a small usb port. This wouldn’t be ideal if it did worked as my router / wall socket is upstairs in the office and I always use the laptop downstairs

To test: Can you set up a4/5g hotspot with your phone and then see what happens when you try to tether your laptop to that?

When it happens to me I reinstall the antenna driver but that's with an external antenna, on a desktop, with Linux.

On the positive side if it's connecting it's probably not a hardware issue but somthing in the settings. On the negative side I have no idea what. Reset or Trip to a computer doctor?

I found the wifi dialog boxes and controls on Win11 a little less intuitive compared to Win10 .. luckily for me my connection worked directly so I didn't have to play around with it too much.

It’s worked fine for several years until today
Oh ok. And as far as you know nothing else has changed?

My last computer had wifi problems, it would be fine for weeks and then suddenly wouldn't recognise that it had a wifi adaptor. When that happened I would get access to the rear of the PC and would wiggle the cable and plug a bit. That seemed to work more often than not.

Then I would have weeks of no issues, followed by it again!! :(

My new PC no issues so far (touch wood)

Actual laptop off and on, just in case you're one of those weird people that just put them to sleep
That's normal usage - I haven't shut down the current PC since I bought it and it goes to sleep after five minutes of inactivity. I do reboot from time to time for updates and stuff. The current uptime is about 5 days - usually its a few weeks between reboots.

It is turned off after every use and is used 3/4 times a week so not one of those

according to my work's IT people (when I was having problems with work laptop) with W10 onwards, turning off and on again isn't good enough - you need to do a 'restart' every now and then as well. microsoft thought they were being helpful and changing things so that off and on again doesn't re-set things as much (so it starts quicker) but that means some updates don't happen.

If it's really playing up, holding the on/off button down for about 30 seconds then turning on again does a re-start only more so.

another laptop thing - some laptops have a discreet wi-fi on/off switch, in some cases it's not obvious until after you've switched it off by accident and wonder why it's not connecting...

according to my work's IT people (when I was having problems with work laptop) with W10 onwards, turning off and on again isn't good enough - you need to do a 'restart' every now and then as well. microsoft thought they were being helpful and changing things so that off and on again doesn't re-set things as much (so it starts quicker) but that means some updates don't happen.

If it's really playing up, holding the on/off button down for about 30 seconds then turning on again does a re-start only more so.

another laptop thing - some laptops have a discreet wi-fi on/off switch, in some cases it's not obvious until after you've switched it off by accident and wonder why it's not connecting...

Yes it's called fast boot, but can be turned off. It's basically extended sleep mode. As you say a restart is the real deal.

Might have had a windows update that installed a shit driver. If you can find the latest drivers on the manufacturers website, get them installed.

This.

My Dell they like to periodically kill the WiFi to the point it no longer thinks it has an adaptor.

So how would I have found the correct drivers with no internet access on laptop? Use a different device and put them on a usb drive or something?

So how would I have found the correct drivers with no internet access on laptop? Use a different device and put them on a usb drive or something?

Sadly so. It's really shit they've dropped the ethernet port from so many laptops. Before you do that, it's worth checking device manager (windows key, type device manager).

1720980853113.png

Right click on you WiFi card (under network adapters), properties, driver and then delete the device. Restart and Windows will reinstall it. However as you've done a fresh install recently, this probably won't work. :(

1720980921473.png

Sadly so. It's really shit they've dropped the ethernet port from so many laptops. Before you do that, it's worth checking device manager (windows key, type device manager).

View attachment 433379

Right click on you WiFi card (under network adapters), properties, driver and then delete the device. Restart and Windows will reinstall it. However as you've done a fresh install recently, this probably won't work. :(

View attachment 433380
That would have been very difficult for me. Cant use my work laptop for anything like that. Would have had to go round a friends place I suppose.

Thanks for the tip re drivers, hopefully I don’t have to refer to it again

Back
Top Bottom