Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Why is 'browning up' acceptable in Hollywood?

Being italian/macedonian, do you think she was nubian?
As Rutita has pointed out, a broad range of phenotypes is possible within different nationalities [and that's what 'Italian' 'Macedonian' and 'Nubian' are, although 'Nubian' is best described as a tribe]. It isn't either/or..... white/black.

... or to descientize the post: it's possible for people of the same nationality to look quite different from one another, and to have varying gradations of skin color.

As Rutita has pointed out, a broad range of phenotypes is possible within different nationalities [and that's what 'Italian' 'Macedonian' and 'Nubian' are, although 'Nubian' is best described as a tribe]. It isn't either/or..... white/black.
You reckon, given the nubian history, there might be a single word of comment on her not looking like the white ruling class did - anywhere? At home? Abroad? From her schooldays? Nope, not a word.

You reckon, given the nubian history, there might be a single word of comment on her not looking like the white ruling class did - anywhere? At home? Abroad? From her schooldays? Nope, not a word.

The Ptolemys were Greek. Once again, a broad range in skin tone gradation - as with most nationalities. There is no 'black skin/white skin' borderline drawn somewhere in the Mediterranean.

The Ptolemys were Greek. Once again, a broad range in skin tone gradation - as with most nationalities. There is no 'black skin/white skin' borderline drawn somewhere in the Mediterranean.
As i said, they were macedonians (whether you count that as greek is irrelevant) - and no, a pretty strict skin tone gradation, as befits a ruling elite and as recognised at the time. There are quite clear lines drawn about historical evidence and logical inference though.

Obviously what he is saying is that a subset of people are broadly similar enough in their overall appearance to get away with playing them in a film. You could probably finesse that statement by adding "...in the eyes of the US cinema-going public".

Johnny Canuck is right, though - there's as much sense in saying "that white guy shouldn't be playing an Egyptian" as there is in saying "that Pakistani guy can play an Egyptian". Either anyone can play any role, or everyone should only play roles suitable for their birthplace/ethnicity/gender/hair color/etc.
I don't think that's too much to ask for. I was watching the first Harry Potter film and the noticed the Weasley twins were non-gingers in wigs or with dye jobs. That also pissed me off.

I looked up 'Caucasian':

Caucasian
  1. of or relating to one of the traditional divisions of humankind, covering a broad group of peoples from Europe, western Asia, and parts of India and North Africa.

Europe, western Asia, parts of India and North Africa..... all with the same skin color?

What is a 'Caucasian', and do they all have the same skin color?

Walking down the street, seems like almost everyone is just a little bit different from each other.

Like I said, already asked this question back on page one.

Good to see you back Johnny but do try and read the threads before wading in this time.

What is a 'Caucasian', and do they all have the same skin color?

Walking down the street, seems like almost everyone is just a little bit different from each other.
In fact, the past didn't happen either. Because some people look the same. Nothing happened. No one did anything either. Certainly not people who looked different.

Whilst my johnny gently googles. And googles and googles.

It's a little bit heartwarming - well, at least it's familiar - to see that I have the same effect on you as always. Like grass pollen to an allergic person - from normal; to sneezing, sputtering and drooling, all in a matter of minutes. ;)

It's a little bit heartwarming - well, at least it's familiar - to see that I have the same effect on you as always. Like grass pollen to an allergic person - from normal; to sneezing, sputtering and drooling, all in a matter of minutes. ;)
Frauds/dissemblers/liars/twisters/bullshitters - all get the same consistent reaction from me. Good company you're keeping.

To sum up my position, apart from the semantic wrangling: I think it's a safe bet to say that many people of colour would prefer a society where typical societal decisions were made without reference to skin color as a factor with any weight, other things being equal. Decisions like, rental or sale of property, use of public transportation, job hiring and advancement, amongst others.

Back
Top Bottom