Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Why are India so rubbish at the Olympics?

At a guess I'd say a total lack of investment in sport beyond Cricket, which is pretty mujch the only game in town. India produces some good Hockey teams I think.

It reflects the Western framework of the whole Olympic movement coupled with India never being one of the Communist bloc states who tried to compete within it, so only recently begun getting on board. At a guess.

Most olympic sports require state investment of some kind to get good enough to compete. There are exceptions, like long distance running, but not many.

It reflects the Western framework of the whole Olympic movement coupled with India never being one of the Communist bloc states who tried to compete within it, so only recently begun getting on board. At a guess.
Yeah. It takes a conscious decision to get good at the Olympics. It doesn't happen by accident.

Yep, as I recall China didn't bother too much either even when the Soviet camp was keen, probably not until the 1980s or after that they really began investing.

I understand that there are political reasons that they don't take it as seriously and don't do as well as the top countries but still, just on the basis of having so many people you'd think they'd get more than 3 medals a time...

Is it because its hard to train after work when you have no electric for lighting?

[obligatory power cuts joke]

I understand that there are political reasons that they don't take it as seriously and don't do as well as the top countries but still, just on the basis of having so many people you'd think they'd get more than 3 medals a time...
Indonesia's the same, thinking about it. Massive population but hardly any competitors (but fair share of world class athletes at what they do bother with like badminton); pretty much is what lbj said I reckon.

Strange omission, squash. I'd have thought it would be an ideal candidate for the olympics. If badminton's there...

Pakistan's strong at squash too, isn't it?

Actually, its the Pakistanis who are really good at it. I could have sworn Jahangir Khan was Indian but apparently not.

Yes, definitely a state funding issue. Britain won one gold medal in 1996 on the back of bugger all investment compared to 22 gold medals here on the back of 260m+ investment. Mostly lottery money, of course.

Which makes me wonder if the extra weight of head-scarves and turbans puts religious competitors at a self imposed disadvantage. Of merely thousandths of seconds maybe but that counts in some sports.

And what about the russians? Syllables out their arse.
Exactly. And only silvers and bronzes now those punchy two-letter Chinese are taking it seriously. The difference between first and second?

South Korea are zooming up the medal table now too. :hmm:

Exactly. And only silvers and bronzes now those punchy two-letter Chinese are taking it seriously. The difference between first and second?

South Korea are zooming up the medal table now too. :hmm:

Was always going to happen once the Taekwondo started. 8 categories for them to kick ass at.

Perhaps they don't have a national lottery.

And just who decided that UK lottery money could be redirected to sports instead of the other worthy causes that it had been funding!?

Perhaps they don't have a national lottery.

And just who decided that UK lottery money could be redirected to sports instead of the other worthy causes that it had been funding!?

Sports, arts, history, culture, they're all causes the Lottery supports - and, as far as I understand, has done since inception.

As far as I gather, Camelot make the cash but don''t decide where it goes, and neither (directly) does government - there are a set of distributors (e.g. Sport England, Heritage Lottery Fund etc) who do the work of deciding what to support, and these get a set percentage from Camelot to divvy up as they see fit. I gather anyone is free to apply for these funds.

Back
Top Bottom