Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

What's up with Salmond, Leveson, and regulating the press?

Yes. He thinks regulation of the press (in Scotland) shouldn't be left to Westminster. The Courier article sums it up quite well:

Alex Salmond says any post-Leveson press regulation 'cannot just be left to Westminster'

Self-regulation of the press needs to be underpinned in Scots law, the First Minister said.

He claimed that because press regulation is devolved it is impossible to have a solution that would apply to the Scottish press without due consideration of the implications on the legal system in Scotland.

Quartz I am not having a go but you seem to be doing the 'english' thing of failing to understand that Scotland has it own legal system, which is, in some cases, rather different to the one down south. Therefore wee Eck is simply ensuring the press and their doings are covered, and probably unlike down south the regs WILL be enforced(well certainly while SNP are in charge)

Quartz I am not having a go but you seem to be doing the 'english' thing of failing to understand that Scotland has it own legal system, which is, in some cases, rather different to the one down south.

Umm... you do know that I live in Aberdeen? Anyway, I find myself profoundly suspicious of Salmond's ulterior motives, if any. Hence the question.

Umm... you do know that I live in Aberdeen? Anyway, I find myself profoundly suspicious of Salmond's ulterior motives, if any. Hence the question.

Why do you suspect he HAS ulterior motives? And you living in Aberdeen doesn't mean diddly, there's plenty of english people can't grasp the concept of Scots law despite living in Scotland :)
Wee Eck is following the recommendations from the inquiry which the Taxpayers PAID FOR. This isn't SNP only, he has called for all parties to be involved.

He's a skilled politician who wants - nay, lusts for - power, for starters.
Indeed. And what opaque message do you think could be lurking in his contention that "post-Leveson press regulation [in Scotland] 'cannot just be left to Westminster' [because] self-regulation of the press needs to be underpinned in Scots law [since] press regulation is devolved, [meaning] it is impossible to have a solution that would apply to the Scottish press without due consideration of the implications on the legal system in Scotland."?

Hae a stab.

Back
Top Bottom