Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

What was the last piece of music to totally blow your mind?

An unreleased piece of music called Opera For Syd that went out live some years ago on German radio with all the vocals by Kevin Coyne and it's wonderful. It was played to me in a house in Nuremberg by the composer and I absolutely loved it.

Anyone else noticed the way this thread leans heavily towards either repetition or rhythmic deconstruction? We've got Part and Messiaen in the classical corner, electronic music with seven (!) beats in the bar, a fair bit of so-called drone-rock and post-rock (stupid names both, but you know what I mean...).

Any theories on why, or are we all just trying to be clever?

Anyone else noticed the way this thread leans heavily towards either repetition or rhythmic deconstruction? We've got Part and Messiaen in the classical corner, electronic music with seven (!) beats in the bar, a fair bit of so-called drone-rock and post-rock (stupid names both, but you know what I mean...).

How about (a very Freudian) "An inclination toward droning/rhythmic music could be indicative of a yearning for a return to the womb and "womb music", and the inner comfort/sense of security gained from sounds approaching it" ?

I wasn't trying to be clever, but it reads like I may have been (it was a simple thought that got "airs and graces" as it transformed into words ) :confused:

Too much analysis, time for a bifter methinks ;)

Thanks, should have qualified my post a bit in that I was well aware of the copies for sale on Discogs, just that I wanted it to come back into stock at either Phonica or Juno and perhaps bundle it up with a couple of other bits before collecting (from Phonica) or having it delivered (from Juno). In the end, I found out that Kristina Records in Dalston have some copies for sale and as I have criminally not even visited their store yet, have just ordered one from there for collection. I was almost tempted into buying one of the copies currently for sale on Discogs from Vinyl Exchange in Manchester but, have saved the cost of postage and given myself an excuse to pay a first visit and support a local record store, hooray!

Because of all the other threads like 'what are you listening to right now?" & "Edie loves pop!" etc etc. This is about stuff that you give your full, undivided, amazed attention to.

Because of all the other threads like 'what are you listening to right now?" & "Edie loves pop!" etc etc. This is about stuff that you give your full, undivided, amazed attention to.

I guess that makes sense - the stuff that tends to make the cut here is stuff that effectively subverts the expectations of our often jaded musical palates...

There's something else there about repetition for me though - I tend to listen to things like Swans or Fuck Buttons for almost meditational purposes. I'm not paying undivided attention to the music itself, so much as I'm allowing it to clear my mind of all other concerns.

Bluesman - How's that for an explanation that's got ideas above its station? :)

I guess that makes sense - the stuff that tends to make the cut here is stuff that effectively subverts the expectations of our often jaded musical palates...

There's something else there about repetition for me though - I tend to listen to things like Swans or Fuck Buttons for almost meditational purposes. I'm not paying undivided attention to the music itself, so much as I'm allowing it to clear my mind of all other concerns.

Bluesman - How's that for an explanation that's got ideas above its station? :)

We should be able to develop a "Universal Theory that has ideas above it's station" given sufficient time to find all the good stuff on YouTube, and a big enough stash ;)

That's the hypothesis I'm going to run with for now anyway :D

This pretty much did me in the first time I heard it, just .. what .. the .. fuck....

try not to stop listening in the first two minutes and you'll see what I mean.

As to the OP - I finally sat down and listened to the last PJ Harvey album Let England Shake. Fairly blew my mind. She's done that before, but it's been a while. :)

I'm really old school, but this is cover that is just beautiful to watch as to listen to.

I love the blond, she adds something special.

not sure if this has been mentioned, threads with too many youtube embeds mess up my browser

Spem in Alium - Thomas Tallis

as with other pieces here, the sound from youtube doesn't even come close to doing it justice. well worth getting a decent copy and taking 11 minutes out of your day for. beautiful

As in, the last piece of music that felt utterly different and hit a spot in your head no other music had ever reached, that made you think 'Fuck me, this is good, in a way I didn't know I could feel.'

Mine was probably some Arvo Part stuff, which I'd really liked but one night I played it loud and it was a physically incredible thing. Not this track per se, but the whole CD as an experience.

Always here with up to the minute pop tips.

Love that. Thanks tangerinedream.

Bumped for Soap&Skin's Sugarbread:

An older one:

She's totally setting the hairs on the back of my neck on end at the moment. Nico fans won't be surprised to learn she's covered Janitor of Lunacy....

Back
Top Bottom