Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

What was the last piece of music to totally blow your mind?

Messiaen is awesome. His organ stuff is crazy.

It's true. Composers who were doing similar stuff like Stockhausen and Boulez seem very cold and calculating in comparison. I also like Messiaen's obsession with the ondes martenot an instrument that seems to be looked down upon and forgotten for reasons I find hard to fathom.

I recently downloaded a 100% Messaien podcast and went for a walk along the Thames and it felt like I was plotting the destruction of the Western world as I strolled
/pretentious twaddle

Is this proto-techno from the 70's? (Not really, but for a long while I just worshipped this band)

For me, it's still Bach's St Matthew Passion. I have a beautiful simple German version and I love listening to it in the car - it just doesn't stop moving me as though it was the first time - it's not mind blowing as much as very profound, getting at the core of things.

I'm also enjoying Reich's Electric Counterpoint atm

The fella played a Peter Blegvad track tother week that blew me away - 'Gold'. It felt like it was about me and him :)

It's true. Composers who were doing similar stuff like Stockhausen and Boulez seem very cold and calculating in comparison. I also like Messiaen's obsession with the ondes martenot an instrument that seems to be looked down upon and forgotten for reasons I find hard to fathom.

A "Theremin" that is actually playable. :)

View attachment 26109 This honestly blew my mind when I first heard it. I say 'honestly because I am involved (unpaid) with the label that put this out. I started a thread about how awesome and original they were just yesterday or the day before (and got no replies). So people might think I'm just being spammy and plugging this anywhere I can, but I'm not. When I asked myself what the last music to blow my mind was, it's this.

Have a listen, it's basically 'Persian jazz' but probably sounds like plain old school middle eastern music to most people. This is my favourite track from their debut album which has just come out.
Daramad
https://soundcloud.com/musicwa/daramad-isfahan
Daramad .jpg

Just discovered this myself and did a quick search to see if it was here already.

Luvvly stuff :D

Cool. I really like that Same Love track though; really tackles the bigotry in the US about gay marriage. Afaik, Macklemore releases his stuff independently and the Heist album made it to #2 on the Billboard charts and #1 on iTunes.
Nice to see conscious hiphop delivered with a slab of fun. That thrift Store video is so much fun.

Luc Arbogast singing counter tenor playing a Bouzouki, incredible voice and he's not bad on the old Greek Banjo either ;)

(I've subsequently bought three of his albums, as I find it incredibly relaxing (and have no understanding of how/why :confused: ))

Last track that blew my mind was the Underworld one for the pandemonium part of the Olympic opening ceremony. Combined with all the Victorian robotic dancers and the drummers and the white hot iron rings coming together at the climax, it was fucking amazing.

I would post a video but they keep taking it off youtube and vimeo.

The flip track from the new Tornado Wallace release - Thinking Allowed < slowmo house with a pinch of acid

I've had to listen to it about ten times today. Unfortunately sold out on vinyl from the usual places that I buy from, hopefully they will be getting re-stocked soon.

I love pretty much all ruby my dear tracks, but this one is something else. Some mental programming.

I couldnt work out why it felt like the tune was kind of falling over itself, and a mate explained to me he thinks its because its got 7 beats to a bar rather than 8 and then explained to me in simpleton terms that I wont repeat here what that actually means, im sure you lot know better than me :D

Back
Top Bottom