Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

What was the last piece of music to totally blow your mind?

Nine Inch Nails, Ghosts I
reminds me the first time i heard Japans Ghosts on the radio (about 5 years back) was pretty mindblowing

The last time i really got lost in a whole new world of music was when i got quarantined for 2 weeks with swine flu (3 years ago?) and spent pretty much all day every day listening to several gigs of Bollywood music...really fell in love with it...put together two fat mixes of it here if anyone fancies a go....having a high fever helps!!

This is just pure silly fun

Check out the groove on this though

Last one...1954...the 50s stuff is the classiest

I've got two things running around in my head, quite different and not necessarily recently heard but for some reason it's my morning wake up call.
One:

Or the other:

I absolutely loved the Arvo Pärt in the OP and I can see how it can come on you if played loud.

There's probably been something since, and I already knew and loved the song, but this at the Olympics opening ceremony was simply stunning. I presume Seb Coe and/or the Queen are big fans.

As in, the last piece of music that felt utterly different and hit a spot in your head no other music had ever reached, that made you think 'Fuck me, this is good, in a way I didn't know I could feel.'

Mine was probably some Arvo Part stuff, which I'd really liked but one night I played it loud and it was a physically incredible thing. Not this track per se, but the whole CD as an experience.

Always here with up to the minute pop tips.

The Naxos edition of Fratres is beautiful too. I topped up on my Arvo Part addiction in Berlin last year, and bought the original release of "Spiegel im Spiegel".

BTW, last time I was mindblown was last week, listening to Scott Walker's "Scott 2" for the first time in years, and hearing "Plastic Palace People" again.

This thread is going to keep me sane! some interesting stuff to dig through here. One more from me, last thing before Arvo was probably this track by Wooden Veil. I was on a bus and had to mutter, 'fuck me' to myself repeatedly as surreptitiously as I could as I was experiencing some kind of epiphany via headphone...

The Mercury Award gave a couple of great albums this time:

Plan B - ill manors soundtrack - great changes of tempo between hip hop rap and d&b, while alt-j - Awesome Wave album is beautiful.

Can't get youtube here, but both blew my mind :)

Not so much the "latest" piece of music to blow me away,
but it never fails to have me frightened and awestruck.
Going to see them live for the first time very soon, after
having loved them since i was 13-14.

There's probably been something since, and I already knew and loved the song, but this at the Olympics opening ceremony was simply stunning. I presume Seb Coe and/or the Queen are big fans.

Funny, Sweet Love for Planet Earth was the first thing that came to my mind in response to this thread. Don't know if it's quite of 'mind-blowing' proportions though. This on the other hand (I've posted it many times before and no doubt will post it again....):

Was listening to a US NFP station about the upcoming elections and this came on. Didn't blow my mind so much musically as much as it was sad that a record like this had to be made in America in 2012.

Meanwhile Macklemore has probably made my fave video of the year

Annoyingly, I'm not sure what it actually was, but I heard a bit of a piano concerto on the radio that was so bloody good it made me a bit tearful - it wasn't elegiac or sentimental at all, it was a fast, whizzy movement, but it was amazing. Almost certainly Beethoven by the sound of it, but I don't know which one.

The last thing that really made me rethink the whole of music a bit was A.R. & Machines. But that's pretty old.

I love the way my focus keeps getting drawn to different things.

I've been rethinking it all with Oshiri Penpenz a bit too.

It's like the Magic Band but as to the Magic Band as the Magic Band were to Howlin' Wolf if that makes sense. Further on down a certain road.

A few months ago I was in the bath listening to Classic FM and they played Elin Manahan Thomas singing Dido's Lament "When I am laid in earth" from the opera Dido & Aeneas. Fantastic.

I can't find her version on YouTube.

Messiaen's piano works really struck me. I only really "discovered" Messiaen a few years ago. There's a certain quality that you don't get from anything else. He could be strangely romantic.

Speaking of mind blowing and classical music, here's Ruins covering the whole of classical music in just over a minute.

Back
Top Bottom