Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

what the bible says about money

No church and 8 years?

That's a bit of a rarity these days. Still, could never be doing with church, either.

Just haven't encountered one I could sign up to. Catholic nah (nonce priests), CoE no way (they barely believe). Methodist, (no Methodist relations).

Just haven't encountered one I could sign up to. Catholic nah (nonce priests), CoE no way (they barely believe). Methodist, (no Methodist relations).
Unitarians? Quakers? URC? Baptists? Pentacostal? Seventh Day Adventist? Wee Frees?

Unitarians? Quakers? URC? Baptists? Pentacostal? Seventh Day Adventist? Wee Frees?

What are plymouth brethren? either my great grandad or my grandad on my mum's side went to a plymouth brethren school I think. they're very strict aren't they?

Some Unitarians don't believe in God any more (not in a wooly CoE kind of way, in an actual kind of way), can't see Humberto going for that.

I was dying for the toilet a few weeks ago and went into a unitarian church to go to their toilet and picked up a few of their leaflets, it looked quite interesting tbh. But yeah :D

What are plymouth brethren? either my great grandad or my grandad on my mum's side went to a plymouth brethren school I think. they're very strict aren't they?
Plymouth Brethren are AFAIK similar to JWs - very strict indeed.
Some Unitarians don't believe in God any more (not in a wooly CoE kind of way, in an actual kind of way), can't see Humberto going for that.
FWIW about 10 years ago I was at a talk which covered "the legal bit" (ie the marriage registration) of handfastings. One chap spoke up and said that as a vicar at the Unitarian church, he'd be fine with letting Pagans (as an umbrella term) get the legal bit and the ceremony done in the garden at the back of the church; he implied that officials would be told that the ceremony was done in the building.

Did I take him up on this? No - too much of a fudge. It'd be sending mixed messages to relatives who knew (but preferred to ignore it) that I was out. After all, if I were willing to get married in one church why not swallow my conscience enough for a "real church" wedding instead?

There is a cult where I live called the Exclusive Brethren. They don't like technology, especially anything that involves radio communications. The men wear open-necked shirts and all the women wear headscarfs and they have their own little school (which almost no one knows about - a found out by a heathen who was a teacher there) tucked behind a warehouse on a local industrial estate.

Maybe they're similar to the Plymouth lot...?

There is a cult where I live called the Exclusive Brethren. They don't like technology, especially anything that involves radio communications. The men wear open-necked shirts and all the women wear headscarfs and they have their own little school (which almost no one knows about - a found out by a heathen who was a teacher there) tucked behind a warehouse on a local industrial estate.

Maybe they're similar to the Plymouth lot...?

Yes I think that sounds like them. I'll ask my mum about it when I next speak to her :D

Same lot really.

Yeah, on reading wiki it seems the original Plymouth lot split into the Open Brethren and exclusive Brethren.
The kids are extremely well-mannered and practically teach themselves according to my teacher friend - she was thinking of leaving because if she spent there too long she would forget how to cope with 'normal' children, though was conflicted by the fact that they pay very well.

When they decided that a person has the right to follow their conscience instead of strictly following official doctrine, they opened a huge can of worms. :D

Aleister Crowley's parents were members of the Plymouth Brethren.
Doesn't say a lot for the sect's emphasis on parenting skills, does it? :D
george%2Bformby.jpg

turned out nice again

Many don't, especially in the States where they are the Unitarian-Universalists. The Unitarians who do believe in god tend to see themselves as coming to god through the Christian tradition, rather than Christianity having a monopoly on god iyswim. Historically they are rooted in the rejection of the concept of the trinity and strived to follow 'the religion of Christ rather than a religion about Christ'.

I vaguely remember a Victorian quote along the lines of Unitarianism being a 'feather bed for atheists to fall in'.

Listen you lot, or rather read. You have all gone off the subject in the OP. The topic is that an American called Sean Hyman has set up a scam where he makes lots of money from selling books on a scheme to make money using "The Bible Code". If you clip on the video in the OP you get to see a long slow build-up by someone who is only talking about Sean Hyman. Later you get Sean Hyman himself in a video repeating what was said in the introduction. The video goes very slowly with no real content.

However if you put the name Sean Hyman into YouTube, you will get the following 7 minute video which you can skip through to discover the seamy truth. Hyman wants your money. His target audience is gullible religiously inclined American investors.

The whole thing reminds me of the famous Horace Batchelor adverts on Radio Luxembourg. "Horace Batchelor FROM Keysham Bristol spelt K-E-Y-N-S--H-A-M" He say in the frequent advert breaks. He publicised his 'Infra-Draw System' for winning the football pools. He made his money not by betting on the pools but on the punters wanting a method of winning. He was the winner because he got money from selling his system. The similarities with this scheme jump out at me. (To be fair to Horace Batchelor his punters only had to pay if they won so not so much a scam as that Hyman racket).

So shut up about religion. The topic is money, and a scam at that.

Last edited:
Listen you lot, or rather read. You have all gone off the subject in the OP. The topic is that an American called Sean Hyman has set up a scam where he makes lots of money from selling books on a scheme to make money using "The Bible Code". If you clip on the video in the OP you get to see a long slow build-up by someone who is only talking about Sean Hyman. Later you get Sean Hyman himself in a video repeating what was said in the introduction. The video goes very slowly with no real content.

However if you put the name Sean Hyman into YouTube, you will get the following 7 minute video which you can skip through to discover the seamy truth. Hyman wants your money. His target audience is gullible religiously inclined American investors.

The whole thing reminds me of the famous Horace Batchelor adverts on Radio Luxembourg. "Horace Batchelor FROM Keysham Bristol spelt K-E-Y-N-S--H-A-M" He say in the frequent advert breaks. He publicised his 'Infra-Draw System' for winning the football pools. He made his money not by betting on the pools but on the punters wanting a method of winning. He was the winner because he got money from selling his system. The similarities with this scheme jump out at me. (To be fair to Horace Batchelor his punters only had to pay if they won so not so much a scam as that Hyman racket).

So shut up about religion. The topic is money, and a scam at that.

Fair nuff.

Have to say it's quite gentlemanly of him if he's restricting his scammery to godnob speculaters. A kind of Robin Hood figure, robbing the rich to give to the poor- people who serve at the expensive restaurants he probably enjoys.

Back
Top Bottom