Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

What is the greatest service station?

Anyway, anywhere that Isn’t accessed via a slip road or a turn off a main motorway/A-road access roundabout has no right to call itself a services. There’s some particularly egregious modern examples on the A1(M) that require a mystery tour round some fucking industrial estate to find them. Pretty sure it was New Labour that allowed shit petrol stations with a coffee machine and a dingy toilet out the back start call themselves ‘Services’. Fuck off.

My late grandfather always liked Little Chef. He’d often go out for dinner to one. He liked the food and the service, he was odd.

This is Ireland's best service station...

1619591167157.png

"The Barack Obama Plaza is a purpose built motorway service station located at Junction 23 on the M7 Dublin to Limerick motorway.
We opened our doors in 2014 and have a vast variety of food offerings which include a Supermac’s, Papa John’s Pizza, SuperSubs, Mac’s Place Deli and a Bewley’s Coffee Barista station.
The Obama Plaza also has a state of the art conference facility as well as The Barack Obama visitors centre which is hugely popular with visiting tourists."

The service station operating under the Circle K brand has 26 petrol pumps across two fourcourts offering unleaded petrol, diesel, MGO (marine gas oil), Adblue (diesel exhaust fluid) and LPG (liquefied petroleum gas), as well as a fast-charge ESB electric car charge point.

In addition to fuel supplies there is a variety of food outlets including Supermac's, Papa John's Pizza, Mac's Place Bakery and Carvery, Bewleys coffee and a Spar shop. The Plaza also includes a visitor centre that provides information on Obama's family connections to Moneygall where his great-great-great-grandfather lived,[8] as well as five meeting rooms and a large function room.

A bus service, No. 854 between Roscrea and Nenagh, calls at Barack Obama Plaza seven days a week. The service connects with the local communities of Toomevara, Cloughjordan and Shinrone

meeting rooms

Meeting Room Catering Options

We have several catering options available for parties booking Meetings, Events & Conference Rooms;

• Breakfast Options
  • Tea/Coffee & Biscuits
  • Tea/ Coffee & Scones
  • Tea/ Coffee & Sandwiches
  • Daily Lunch Menu from our Carvery ‘Mac’s Place’
  • Evening Meals
  • Gluten Free & Vegetarian options

Function room too...

1619590897510.png

Visitors Centre
1619591064489.png

Eta..

Beat that 😁

My late grandfather always liked Little Chef. He’d often go out for dinner to one. He liked the food and the service, he was odd.
There was a period between the crapness of the eighties and its demise where Little Chef was good. I went out for an early-thirties birthday meal to the one on the edge of Grimsby for a Seventh Heaven burger. And I got a lollipop for finishing my food.

There was a period between the crapness of the eighties and its demise where Little Chef was good. I went out for an early-thirties birthday meal to the one on the edge of Grimsby for a Seventh Heaven burger. And I got a lollipop for finishing my food.
The one in Laceby? That was my grandfather’s favourite.

Quite like Beaconsfield services. Gloucester is nice, only been a couple of times. On the A1 though, it’s got to be any of the OK diner truck stops

I stopped at Gloucester services a few weeks back and it was entirely un memorable I’m not sure why it gets all the mentions

Markham Moor because it's the perfect distance for us between home and visiting family.
Other than that, I'm very fond of Baldock services. We used to visit there just for a coffee.

I like Blythe Moto, if only because it’s the first place I allow myself to stop for a piss after leaving Yorkshire.

I think Tibshelf is good for birdwatching - you get pied wagtails around the bins, which feels unusual.

Got limited fondness for Birchanger but have stayed there to break up the journey a few times. The Waitrose has decent chocolate covered peanuts and Birchanger is a cool word.

Pease Pottage is another treat venue after entering Sussex as I will stop there for a piss even if I don’t need one!

I'm a big fan of Forton for the building (I have an enamel badge the Modernist Society made to commemorate it), but its pretty run down and has poor amenities.
I love the tower too. I’ve used pictures of it on stuff before. It’s also the only service station with a coding language named after it.

It really needs to be looked after.

I love the tower too. I’ve used pictures of it on stuff before. It’s also the only service station with a coding language named after it.

It really needs to be looked after.
I like the big food hall too - there's these huge windows with panoramic views of the motorway and the light is fantastic. Just a shame it's occupied by a costa and some of those horrible canteen type dinner places that only exist in downmarket services these days.

Some urbex lads got into the tower a few years ago, I dunno if you've seen this video?

I like the big food hall too - there's these huge windows with panoramic views of the motorway and the light is fantastic. Just a shame it's occupied by a costa and some of those horrible canteen type dinner places that only exist in downmarket services these days.

Some urbex lads got into the tower a few years ago, I dunno if you've seen this video?

Have you seen these? Seem up your street...

Have you seen these? Seem up your street...

there are few brutalism-related nicknacks I've not seen tbh. I quite like these, but I'm not sure what I'd do with them - I'm not really an ornaments kind of guy

Back
Top Bottom