Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

What DVD / Video did you watch last night? (pt3)

Babyteeth - 2019 Australian weepie about a teenager with cancer. It’s very formulaic in the way that tear jerkers usually operate, and yet it’s beautifully filmed and acted, by the young then-unknown teens and by Oz’s finest actors (Essie Davis and Ben Mendelsohn) as the parents.
4 blue wigs out of 5

Mary Poppins (1964) A classic. Interwoven into it's fantasy narrative, are themes against the deadening nature of work, the search for joy and fulfilment, supporting animal welfare, equality of women etc etc. The closing few scenes: the boy refusing to hand over money to the bank, the father enjoying the company of his children and Mary Poppins leaving a content family are a genuine spectacle. Even Dick Van Dyke's awful cockney accent can't sink this film.

Mediterraneo (1991) A small cohort of Italian troops are dispatched to a remote Aegean island during WW2. Their bumbling and incompetence, along with the hospitality of some of locals leaves them questioning their commitment to Italy's war effort. Decent lowkey anti-war effort.

Operation Mincemeat (2021) This film has probably not received the accolades it might should have. Several stories happen in parallel: the subterfuge, how the fantasy of the ruse is being developed by committee, a love triangle and a developing distrust between several protagonists. If you're solely interested in the history of the operation, this is going to be frustrating, but I still managed to love it.

Honeyland
Documentary about a woman in rural Macedonia who keeps bees and has her life disrupted by a new neighbour. The sort who'll try anything to make a buck and quickly decides that he should keep bees too.
I find it hard to describe this in a way that "sells" it. But it's wholly entrancing and did sweep the Sundance doc awards and get a few Oscar nominations, so don't just take my word for it that it's brilliant. I highly recommend.

Honeyland
Documentary about a woman in rural Macedonia who keeps bees and has her life disrupted by a new neighbour. The sort who'll try anything to make a buck and quickly decides that he should keep bees too.
I find it hard to describe this in a way that "sells" it. But it's wholly entrancing and did sweep the Sundance doc awards and get a few Oscar nominations, so don't just take my word for it that it's brilliant. I highly recommend.

Have you seen The Truffle Hunters?...similar style, feels like a documentary but with a bit of a story built in. It's on iPlayer.

Re-watched The Outsiders (1983) because I hadn't seen it in ages and was reminded how much I used to like SE Hinton's books when I was a teenager. Really showcased Ralph Macchio as an actor in a way that The Karate Kid wasn't able to.

Still keeping in touch with friends in Australia via Melbourne Cinematheque, this time via their Joan Micklin Silver in the 70s double bill

Hester Street - Plenty of immigrant stories done on film but this is a very good one, both in terms of competent film making (strong story, script, acting) but also via the focus on the relationship between husband and wife and their different experiences, the use of yiddish. I was reminded of Brooklyn in the change of a young, shy woman finding a new confidence through immigration - I'd be interested to know if the author and/or director was familiar with this film.

Between the Lines - I liked Hester Street, but really enjoyed this. I saw one review which said that it was kind of a Broadcast News for indie print journalism, I guess that is kind of correct. But it establishes a sort of chaotic, high energy, disappointment that makes it far more visceral than Broadcast News, loads of characters actor who's faces you'll recognise do a good job (as well as a young Jeff Goldblum). Funny, charming and with the right amount of cynicism and disappointed dreams.

Both films well worth your time (I think you'd like these Sue)

The Tender Bar - they actually made a biopic of the LA Times hack who wrote Harry’s penis adventure book. Kinda dull, because he wasn’t very interesting. Oh wait he liked books as a kid. Confusing casting too, and an annoyingly loud soundtrack interspersed with some barely audible mumbling dialogue.

Wakanda Forever. As I get increasingly fatigued of the superhero genre with every passing Marvel film, and found Black Panther one of the most boring and instantly forgettable films in the franchise, I was fully expecting to find this a bore, or mediocre at best.

But I thought that was pretty good, actually. Certainly within the franchise. More story and character-driven, and less reliant on green screen action showpieces than most Marvel efforts, even if there’s still a fair amount of it. Also not adhering to the black-and-white superheros vs supervillains formula.

Finished the 80s adaptation of Fortunes of War (just about watchable on well known platform). Having read the books recently, it was a different experience this time round. Story is so fast, with chunks of the book and character exploration left out. Ronald Pickup still nails it as Yakimov, the scrounger prince.

This could benefit from a remake. Would have to be 2 or 3 seasons to do justice to it.

Also, on same platform, a decent upload of Hannibal Brooks, which havent seen in decades. Michael J Pollard is exceptionally odd in it.

Three noirs and a classic comedy

Affair in Trinidad - Glen Ford and Rita Hayworth meet in Trinidad and sparks fly. Clearly an attempt to reproduce the magic of Gilda, which it does not manage to do. Still there is enough there to keep you entertained for 90 minutes, Fordis solid, Hayworth ok, and things happen at a good pace.

Escape in the Fog - Budd Boeticher directed this so had some hopes going in, unfortunately it is not in the same class as his later westerns. Wartime spy happenings in San Francisco is a decent start but the dream mucguffin is weak and despite only being 80 minutes it drags at places.

Experiment in Terror - Easily the best of the three, a really top notch noir from Blake Edwards (of all people). Lee Remick is a bank teller who someone is attempting to terrorise into stealing money, Glen Ford plays the FBI agent trying to track the man down. Looks very good, with some genuinely creepy scenes (mannequin scene is very effective), Remick is good and gets to do more than many noir women. Excellent.

Holiday - Cary Grant is marrying Katherine Hepburns sister, whose family are exceptionally rich. It is all going ok until Grant tells his prospective bride and her father that he wants to retire early and go out see the world. Plenty of silly scenes, Hepburn and Grant on good form. It's not in the very top class of comedies, bit too earnest at parts, but still very enjoyable.

Last edited:
A Man called Ove. The Swedish film that current Tom Hanks film, A Man called Otto is based on. I'm not a fan of Hanks and thought the remake might be too Hollywood.

It's very good, hits all the right notes in terms of trauma and grief and I found myself identifying with a lot. The end felt a bit rushed though.

Reactions: Chz
Finished the 80s adaptation of Fortunes of War (just about watchable on well known platform). Having read the books recently, it was a different experience this time round. Story is so fast, with chunks of the book and character exploration left out. Ronald Pickup still nails it as Yakimov, the scrounger prince.

This could benefit from a remake. Would have to be 2 or 3 seasons to do justice to it.

Also, on same platform, a decent upload of Hannibal Brooks, which havent seen in decades. Michael J Pollard is exceptionally odd in it.
Watched this at the time, watched it again recently.

It still holds up - Yakimoff is one of literature's great monsters.

Books two and three in n the trilogy aren't as good .

Watched this at the time, watched it again recently.

It still holds up - Yakimoff is one of literature's great monsters.

Books two and three in n the trilogy aren't as good .
Levant or Balkan?

Didn't realise the Harriet and Guy stuff is loosely based on Olivia Manning's own experiences.

For some stupid, criminal reason I had never got down to watching The IT Crowd. Even though we were aware of its cult status.

Started it today on the All4 app. Absolutely fucking brilliant- the funniest British sitcom I have watched in decades. Actual tears forming in the corner of my eye :D

For some stupid, criminal reason I had never got down to watching Peep Show. Even though we were aware of its cult status.

Just started season 7 on the All4 app. Absolutely fucking brilliant- the funniest British sitcom I have watched in decades. Actual tears forming in the corner of my eye :D

More noirs

Framed - Glenn Ford is a down on his luck engineer who gets mixed up with a femme fatale that means him no good. Pretty middling

The Garment Jungle - now this is top notch. A pro-union noir staffing Lee J Cobb. Cobb is the co-owner of a garment business who has got the edge by paying gangsters to keep the union out. His son, returning from Korea, enters the business and stats to sympathise with the union. Surprised that this is not better known, looks good, has some good performances, is tight but develops its characters.

Between Midnight and Dawn - The story of two uniformed officers and their relationship with a woman. Not in the same quality as the garment jungle but a good solid b-noir, packing plenty into 90 minutes of action.

Johnny O’Clock - title character is part of owner of a gambling joint, surrounding more on his wits than violence, he’s got problems with a crooked cop, his gangsters partners wife and that he’s fallen for sister of a murder victim. Lee J Cobb turns up in this one too.

Kiss the Blood of My Hands - set in England (with some cor’blimey guvenor’s for good measure). Burt Lancaster is a Canadian solider who’s wartime experiences have left him with a filthy temper that gets him into trouble. Can Joan Fontaine get him onto the straight and narrow? Good, but despite the a-list cast it is not as good as some b-noirs

Sirocco - Humphrey Bogart is making a living selling arms to the rebels in post WWI Syria. Lee J Cobb (again) is the French intelligence officer trying to track him down and hoping to avert a blood bath. There’s a woman who also comes between them (of course). At the start you could mistake this for a Casablanca in the middle east, but it Bogarts character here has as much Queeg as Rick. The film drags a little, it lacks that tight drive that the best noir’s have. Bogart and Cobb are the selling points.

The Harder they Fall - This time Bogart is a former boxing writer who down on his luck takes a job from Roy Steiger as a PR man promoting a pretty useless fighter, in a long game to make some money. Bogart does that conflicted self-disgust he does so well and while Steiger is Steiger he’s not as scene chewing as he sometimes can be. Not in first class but decent enough

Naked Alibi - Sterling Hayden is a police chief sacked for intimidating a suspect he believes he has killed his officers, but he is not going to let that stop him. Even for a noir this has a preposterous plot, I’m not sure if Gene Barry, as the antagonist, is a lunatic or they just could not really be bothered to develop his motives. Still Hayden and Gloria Grahame are both excellent and make it worthwhile

And three British "noirs"
The Dark Man - Natasha Parry is a witness to a murder and the murderer is determined to hunt her down and close down the leads (seeing as she saw virtually nothing, he’d be better off just leaving her be, but then there’d be now film). Some nice scenes of windswept beaches but the lead actor is band and despite being short it could lose 15 minutes easily.

The Clouded Yellow - Much better, Jean Simmons is a disturbed young girl living with her aunt and uncle who is accused of murder. Luckily she has Trevor Howard an ex-spy who has fallen in love with her to help her. Tighter than The Dark Man, it also benefits from two good leads and some nice shots of Newcastle and the Lake District.

Footsteps in the Fog - Not really a noir, more a period thriller, with Jean Simmons as a maid ,but with her eye on being more, who discovers and covers for her master’s killing of his wife. There is then a psychological game between the two. Passable.

Raoul Walsh mini-season

I've seen High Sierra and White Heat before, both absolute top notch classics of course, the other films were

Regeneration - Walsh's first full length feature, a silent thought out, its one of those films that you watch more as a historical object than anything else. The acting, story and script are, by modern standards, terrible stilted. But it is interesting in that it does contain some of the themes that Walsh's later films have, that social dimension, crude here but which would be better developed in later films (like the ex-farming family in High Sierra).

The Thief of Bagdad - in contrast to Regeneration I did enjoy this in its own right, it looks amazing considering its age and Fairbanks has genuine charisma and is directed with a real panache. It's so unreal that the orientalism is in some ways less of an issue than it is in something like Sirocco.

The Roaring Twenties - James Cagney returns from the WWI looking for a job and gets mixed up in bootlegging, accompanied by Bogart and some 'dames'. This builds on the themes of Regeneration but delivers them so much more style and punch. Cagney shows that he really can act and its interesting to see in this, They Drive By Night and High Sierra Bogarts development as actor and star.

They Drive by Night - George Raft and Humphrey Bogart are brothers who drive a truck and dream about making it big. Not in the class of High Sierra or White Heat, the film suffers from two problems. First, it feels like two films stuck together a social picture of the troubles of truckers and then a sort of noir with a femme fatale doing away with her husband. Both parts are good, the social part especially, but they do not really intertwine. The second problem is Raft, who is the main lead and does not have the heft needed, especially when Bogart (with the much smaller part) acts him off the screen when they are together. Still it's well worth watching, the first half is very good and Bogart, Ann Sheridan and Ida Lupino are all good.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom