Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

What DVD / Video did you watch last night? (pt3)

It's more of a... How would you describe it in a way to "sell" it someone who doesn't already want to watch it based on cast/director/writer/etc?
It’s a comedy about two friends who live on a tiny island off the coast of Ireland. One of them suddenly decides that he doesn’t want to be friends anymore and the film is about this and the ensuing fallout.
Plus, it’s got a tiny donkey in it.

The Menu - another cooking film that's also another class film along with being a 'strangers' brought to a place for something to happen film.

A bunch of people I didn't really care much for go to an exclusive restaurant on an island where chef Ralph Fiennes will cook a special menu for them for the price of $1250. Contains all the stereoptypical things 'foodies' say that you could find watching Masterchef, which is much more entertaining. It's very weak.

Creepshow (1982) Five or six short horror vignetes by George Romero. The better one had Leslie Nielsen and Ted Danson in it; the worst, had Stephen King, who based on this performance should never be on screen again. Very trashy and not really worth the effort.

Wrath of Silence (2017) In Northern China, the disappearance of a child converges with a story about perjury and corruption. The boy's mute father is tasked with finding the child, which adds a very interesting plot device to the proceedings. Really excellent film, spoiled by...having what feels like three different endings.

Ash is the Purest White (2018) I love Zhangke Jia's films, and its all here: terrible dancing at nightclubs, weird public spectacles, long drawn out natural conversations, relationships paralleling China's development.
A minor criminal boss and his girl are sent down, and spend the bulk of the film adjusting to life after prison and reconciling their relationship. The pacing is challenging, but somewhere in its two hour plus run-time is located a really excellent film.

Boss Level (2020) Time loop sci-fi flick. Not terrible, but not great either.

The Menu - another cooking film that's also another class film along with being a 'strangers' brought to a place for something to happen film.

A bunch of people I didn't really care much for go to an exclusive restaurant on an island where chef Ralph Fiennes will cook a special menu for them for the price of $1250. Contains all the stereoptypical things 'foodies' say that you could find watching Masterchef, which is much more entertaining. It's very weak.
Damnit, that's the DVD rental sitting on my desk for tonight.

his was on Film 4 in the middle of the night - not sure if it's available elsewhere but can't recommend it highly enough. SEE IT. (And that goes double if France win the World Cup this year.)
ah it was ye who recommended Les Miz 2019. I found it on torrents.

Last edited:
White Noise.

Its divided critics. Im on the side of the loved it camp. Baumbach is one of my fave directors and Driver one of my fave actors so its got a boost up already. Crackling dialogue. Funny, Acerbic. Crackin cinematography, costume design....but its Don Cheadle with his dead pan delivery of what will be some of the most quotable lines you'll see in a movie thats rounds this film off lovely. This film deffo made my 2022 films of the year,.....just! And a great closing sequence with LCD Soundsystem track that stays with you LONG after the movie finishes

This is now on Netflix..looking forward to watching it this week

A very nice looking low-budget sci-fi called Vesper. A teen girl living, or eking out a precarious existence, in a grim post-apocalyptic future (is there any other kind?) where past bioengineering efforts to save the world from ecological collapse went wrong, rendering the natural environment near-incapable of supporting life.

The London Nobody Knows was on Talking Pictures TV. It's fascinating. I mean, it's flat out strange in places but also a great record of mid-60s London. James Mason hosts the bits that are hosted, too. The cameraman has a bit of a thing for eels and girls' legs.
is that the one with the egg factory and all those grotesque East End drunks?

I thought it was brilliant, myself. Or at least, brilliantly entertaining and amusing :)

Escape from Pretoria (2020) Based on a true story, Daniel Radcliffe's character is sent to a whites-only political prison for activities supporting the ANC in 1970's South Africa. What follows is a standard prison escape vehicle. There is very little in terms of plot, character development, and even politics is fairly low in the mix, but I found it gripping and decent all the same.

Pulp Fiction, watched with my teen. Interesting to see it again after quite a long time; still lots to enjoy with plenty about it that is exciting, well executed and fun, but definitely parts that have not aged well (Tarantino's cringeworthy cameo, clearly written to give himself both the ego wank of having supercool Jules be all deferential and forelock-tugging towards him, and the opportunity to say the n word without fear of reproach) alongside those that sucked to begin with (the pointlessly rapey middle subplot, the misogyny).

Flux Gourmet
Well, that was a thing. And I don't mean it in a bad way. It's definitely being Art as Entertainment by being about Art as Entertainment. It was loads of fun to watch, even if it is a load of nonsense. AIUI, shot on a super tight budget over a couple of weeks at some pile up in Yorkshire. If absurdist potshots at artistic wankery aren't your thing, best steer clear.

MV5BMDM0ZWRjZDgtZWI0MS00ZTIzLTg4MWYtZjU5MDEyMDU0ODBjXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTQxNzMzNDI@._V1_.jpg

Watched Apollo 10 1⁄2: A Space Age Childhood (on Netflix), Richard Linklater's latest rotoscoped/animated thing. Really liked it, made me smile a few times at the perfectly captured family dynamics. The actual plot was the weakest element, but still well worth watching, especially if you're into the 60s space race.

Back
Top Bottom