Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

What DVD / Video did you watch last night? (pt3)

Make Up - Ruth joins her boyfriend working on a Cornish caravan site in winter, and interacts with some of the inhabitants. There are horror vibes, psychological thriller vibes and drama vibes. It's well acted and put together, I have to give everyone involved an A for ambition and effort. But for me the different themes/styles did not quite gel. Still interesting, worth watching (available on MUBI) and I'll keep an eye for the director.

The Amazing Maurice. A new family animation film based on the Terry Pratchett book of the same name. In cinemas now but also available on Sky Cinema.

Very good, actually. Certainly recommended to those seeking for enjoyable kiddies/ family films, as well as Terry Pratchett fans. Very good voice casting- David Thewlis alone is worth the admission ticket :D

Both Sides of the Blade - Claire Denis latest, mush stronger than her previous, Let the Sunshine In, which I felt was something of a disappointment. Vincent Lindon and Juliette Binoche play a couple whose relationship is threatened my the reemergence in their lives of his former friend and her former lover. It works well there are lots of deliberately ambiguities - he went to prison but we are not told what, we do not get much of an impression of the former friend/lover. Not Denis best but I liked it. Also has a top score by Tindersticks

The Amazing Maurice
Very good as a family film, and loads of references to make any Pratchett fan happy, too. Only disappointment is that whoever subtitled it didn't all-caps Death's lines.

Kaamelott: The First Chapter
Apparently one of the most popular films in France last year, released on 1000 screens and the third largest earner. Full of Big Names. So good, right?
Utter crap. Maybe it's got some sort of value if you watched the Kaamelott TV series back in the noughties, but I honestly couldn't recommend it to anyone. Sometimes something is just too French to travel well.

Where the Crawdads Sing (2022) Murder mystery film about a recluse young female living (I think) in the Everglade swamps. I really liked the first third to half of the film. However, after this, I kept questioning myself why her hair and clothes were always so immaculate; and why she had more friends than the initial part of the film let on. (Maybe, I could have been more engaged). By the time the twist at the end came about—interesting, though it was—the film had partly outstayed its welcome. Overall, good, but not a great film.

Unbroken (2014) True story of olympian runner, Louis Zamperini, as he survives 47 days at sea and then numerous stints inside a Japanese POW prison. Decent enough film, but been done better before.

Batman (2022) Rebooted as a film noir with batman reconceived as a sleuth. Its a slow atmospheric effort that tries to convince you of the diabolical nature of the Riddlers paint-by-numbers plan. I was utterly unconvinced and my wife lost interest after 30-40 minutes. I will say, in its defence, the last 30 minutes are decent enough, but the rest is fairly uninspiring.

American Psycho (2000) A rollicking satire on the vacuity of American corporate life. Totally loved it.

Knives Out. Purely to decide if I wanted to revisit the style tonight watching the sequel on putlocker aka tramps Netflix

Knives Out. Purely to decide if I wanted to revisit the style tonight watching the sequel on putlocker aka tramps Netflix
And what is your verdict? I really enjoyed it myself.

As it happens I just finished watching Glass Onion. I liked it but the first one is better imo. But the bottom line is that if you’re already subscribed so it won’t cost you anything extra to watch it, and you enjoyed the first one, you should definitely watch the second.

And what is your verdict? I really enjoyed it myself.

As it happens I just finished watching Glass Onion. I liked it but the first one is better imo. But the bottom line is that if you’re already subscribed so it won’t cost you anything extra to watch it, and you enjoyed the first one, you should definitely watch the second.
I saw the first one at the cinema and enjoyed it more on a second viewing (recorded it from one of the channel 4 digital channels the other night).

If I can find a stream for glass onion I’ll watch that now as it will bookend the day well. Mate says the sequel is better.

I saw the first one at the cinema and enjoyed it more on a second viewing (recorded it from one of the channel 4 digital channels the other night).

If I can find a stream for glass onion I’ll watch that now as it will bookend the day well. Mate says the sequel is better.
It’s free on Netflix.

Don’t have an account!
Oh. I guess you’ll have to wait a good few months before it reaches the free platforms. I’d say certainly not worth paying to see it at the cinema, and unless you’re desperate for stuff to watch, probably not worth renting it. But then again you could get a month’s subscription to Netflix and watch this and plenty other stuff you’re very likely to like, and then cancel it.

'71 (2014) A squaddie gets lost in a reconnaissance mission on the streets of Northern Ireland. Decent enough effort, but the film tries to do literally everything in it's running time.

The Conformist (1970) a weak-willed man wants to ingratiate himself to his fascist paymasters by killing a former anti-fascist teacher based in Paris. Very visual and with subtle psychological undertones. I liked it very much.

The Place Beyond the Pines (2012) weaves together three interrelated stories: a bank-robber trying to support his child, a cop dealing with corruption in his precinct and a prospective politicians son hanging out and getting high. Interesting film, but its 140 minute run-time was a little patience testing.

Hell or High Water (2016) Two Texan brothers turn to bank robbing to resolve their finances. They are in hot pursuit by a geriatric Jeff Bridges and his partner. Lots of beautiful landscape shots, subtle discussions about debt and socio-economics and interesting relationship dynamics. Probably the best film I have watched in some time.

Sightseers (2012) Imagine if the duo in 'Natural Born Killers' were British caravaners. A hapless couple tour British tourist sites knocking-off people who irk them along the way. One or two memorable moments, but otherwise I thought the humour of film was odd.

White Noise.

Its divided critics. Im on the side of the loved it camp. Baumbach is one of my fave directors and Driver one of my fave actors so its got a boost up already. Crackling dialogue. Funny, Acerbic. Crackin cinematography, costume design....but its Don Cheadle with his dead pan delivery of what will be some of the most quotable lines you'll see in a movie thats rounds this film off lovely. This film deffo made my 2022 films of the year,.....just! And a great closing sequence with LCD Soundsystem track that stays with you LONG after the movie finishes

I love Sightseers.
It's not a terrible film. There are quite a few laugh out loud funny bits, which is from about 5-10 minutes of good material. However, the couple at the centre of the film are too odd for me to have much sympathy with; cue discussions on 'bin juice', a woman trying to write a letter with a nine-foot pencil and arguments over whether a stolen dog is called 'banjo' or 'poppy'.

Catch Me If You Can. Has aged well and still very enjoyable. More so during today’s viewing- my mother-in-law was an air stewardess during the golden era of commercial aviation in the 1960s, but had never watched this film before, so she enjoyed it enormously and furnished us with loads of real-life anecdotes :)

Triangle of Sadness. The 2022 Palm d’Or winning absurdist dark comedy about the detestable set of entitled and super rich passengers aboard an ultra-luxury private yacht cruise, where things soon start to unravel.

It won’t be for everyone, but I thought it was fucking brilliant. Think White Lotus meets Below Deck. Not perfect, but a solid 8/10 for me. Very funny, and a savage and well deserved critique of influencers and the very wealthy.

Reactions: Chz
Best movie I've seen in a long time. Just beautiful. I think it's still on at the actual cinemas but is also out there on the torrents.

Back
Top Bottom