Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

What DVD / Video did you watch last night? (pt3)

The Kingdom series 2. Why have I never watched this before now?...it's amazing! The storylines are really getting going and there's such great characters. Can't help thinking Moesgaard is inspired by Leslie Nielsen and the humour reminds me very much of Naked Gun, Airplane etc. Love how LVT does his little chat at the end of each episode, devil horns and all. 🤘

Bodies Bodies Bodies. A new whodunnit thriller about a bunch of rich young people, with varying degrees of history with each other, who decide to spend a weekend when a hurricane is forecast in an isolated country house getting high and playing games. Things go bad.

Whereas not a classic, it was actually a lot better than I’d expected, Far more multilayered and better written than many films of the subgenre. Good ending as well. Recommended if you can find it for free.

I caught the last 15 minutes of Titanic on C4. Now, I've never seen the film but I'd always sort of expected that it was at the very least Well Done. Even if it wasn't really my thing. But the bit where they're in the water, I mean.. . It's a fucking sound stage. It's very, very obviously a sound stage. It looks rubbish! Is the rest of it that bad?

The land that time forgot was on Ch5 today. I do a like a bit of McClure.

Tonight it was Athena. Not exactly uplifting but mad camera work.worth watching the making of the film short afterwards to see how it was done

Amsterdam (the 2022 film). A David O. Russell offbeat comedy-drama whodunnit mystery set in the early 20th century.

It has a great cast and production values, and starts off pretty well, but as the film progresses it starts to lose its fizz, and the climax feels like the writers suddenly decided to switch from a whodunnit film to a historical drama. Also 20 minutes too long.

Still, not terrible overall even if if feels like a waste of talent. 5.5/10 for me. Not worth paying money to watch for sure.

Reactions: Chz
Amsterdam (the 2022 film). A David O. Russell offbeat comedy-drama whodunnit mystery set in the early 20th century.

It has a great cast and production values, and starts off pretty well, but as the film progresses it starts to lose its fizz, and the climax feels like the writers suddenly decided to switch from a whodunnit film to a historical drama. Also 20 minutes too long.

Still, not terrible overall even if if feels like a waste of talent. 5.5/10 for me. Not worth paying money to watch for sure.
What's the difference between a 5.5/10 and a 6/10 ?

Decision to Leave. Korean film alikened to Hitchcock. A beautiful and very well made film but I couldn't follow it. Think I wasn't in the mood for something so complex.

Couple of Peter Bogdanovich films

Targets - One plot strand as Byron Orlock (Boris Karloff) a tired aging horror actor on the brink of retirement, the other a young kid who's display an interesting in guns and using them against people, with the two coming together in the last act. A really interesting film, with some good performances, both parts are done well and if the connection between the two does not completely work the conceit is smart enough and done well enough that you can forgive it some of the mistakes that crop up.

They All Laughed - Three private eye's get caught in romantic entanglements while following two women. One of the romantic comedies that Bogdanovich liked to make. It is not in the same class as the brilliant What's Up Doc?, the comedy here is more more whimsical than the screwball nature of WUD. The film is also too long and the female characters are pretty weekly drawn but it is not without its charms. The soundtrack is great and there are some funny scenes and Colleen Camp is great.

Last edited:
A Matter of Life and Death. A bonkers but brilliant 1946 fantasy comedy about an RAF pilot going down with his damaged plane during a WWII mission, who against all odds survives bailing out without a chute, causing a discrepancy on the log books of the people above who keep count of the souls meant to cross over on each day.

I am almost ashamed not to have been aware of the existence of this film, especially as it turns out to be a critically acclaimed film. Though in my defence I have never ever seen this film shown on TV before. In any event, wonderfully odd, and surprisingly high budget (the staircase- wow) and incorporating political and psychological themes I wouldn’t have never expected.

A Matter of Life and Death. A bonkers but brilliant 1946 fantasy comedy about an RAF pilot going down with his damaged plane during a WWII mission, who against all odds survives bailing out without a chute, causing a discrepancy on the log books of the people above who keep count of the souls meant to cross over on each day.

I am almost ashamed not to have been aware of the existence of this film, especially as it turns out to be a critically acclaimed film. Though in my defence I have never ever seen this film shown on TV before. In any event, wonderfully odd, and surprisingly high budget (the staircase- wow) and incorporating political and psychological themes I wouldn’t have never expected.
I am curious. I think I 'might' have seen it as a nipper. Is it streaming?

It's a great film. Also worth checking out other Powell and Pressburger films if you get the chance (they made a lot of great films).

Filmography here:

It’s fantastic

It's a great film. Also worth checking out other Powell and Pressburger films if you get the chance (they made a lot of great films).

Filmography here:

The life and death of Colonel Blimp is on iplayer at the moment too

I watched After Love last night (also on iplayer). This got a lot of award nominations for Joanna Scanlan, she plays a Muslim convert who after her husband dies discovers he has a completely separate life. A quietly impressive film.

Reactions: Sue
Cage of Gold
Lesser Ealing film from 1950. Jean Simmons thinks ex-airforce racketeering cad David Farrar is out of her life but he returns again and again to haunt her and her new fiance. In theory a decent cast with Simmons and Farrar starring and directed by Basil Dearden, this has the odd good moment with a few vaguely noirish notes, but overall is far too by the numbers. Farrar is too old and lacking in charm to convince very much and Simmons doesn't have a great deal to work with until near the end, at which point Bernard Lee pops up and lifts things a little playing a detective and made me think a better film might have focused on that more - maybe ending up a bit like Clouzot's Quai des Orfèvres. Not terrible, not a lot to recommend it though!

An odd bunch of three:
Undercover - 1943 - now this is proper austerity filmmaking: a bare-bones propaganda effort exhorting Britain to back the brave uprising of the noble Yugoslavs (as they then were) and assure everyone that it's well worth fighting Nazis to the death. Not a sentiment I disagree with tbh but you do get a sense of just how narrow the margins were getting and how desperate UK film-board bods must have been to do their bit - and be seen to be doing their bit. Technically, dramatically, not at all a classic. I guess the Highlands are standing in for the Balkans but Michael Wilding - a very charming and debonair pre war leading man - is not up to the task of embodying a Serbian partisan. Does that contemporary thing of folding in some real-life newsreel footage (of whole fields full of horse-drawn carts which civilians had been trying to escape in ... before they got bombed :() and has some striking/odd/sobering moments, given today's perspective, where characters yarn on about the brave + noble Yugoslavs all being willing to die for freedom and never forgetting or forgiving a grudge...

Last Black Man in San Francisco 2019 - thought I'd find this irritating, twee, self-involved, and yeah it's a bit arty for comfort (slightly too much Wes Anderson-style arch-faux-art-directed, and some "ooh look aren't we daring" fourth-wall-breaking theatre of unease antics). But this is a lovely and elegaic and visually very, very striking movie about race, class, gentrification, family dysfunction, friendship and the future of the city, absolutely gorgeous to look at, full of sly wit and great performances. Whimsy done right - with a big dash of dark and acid sarcasm.

Les Miserables (2019) not the musical, not the classic - this is the fast, furious, BRILLIANT banlieue-update movie directed by Ladj Ly. In one sense not original - 25 years on from La Haine France has learned nothing, and that's its point - and if you've seen any of the recent crop of neo-cop-panorama thrillers like BAC Nord a lot of the turf is familiar. The difference is that this one comes from inside the neighbourhoods, and paints a properly in-the-round picture of whole communities, rather than just painting them as a backdrop for some dirty cops' voyages of self-discovery. (BAC Nord was slated by some critics as effectively "Vote Le Pen!" propaganda. ) Ladj Ly apparently first got started in film-making when he'd follow and record cops misbehaving in his own neighbourhood .... and that sense of scrappy, risky, put-yourself-on-the line commitment really comes through. It's a bit schematic in places (a team of clueless new cop, jaded medium cop and real bad-guy veteran cop clash with each other; youth and police fight with each other; local crims and ex-crims and "community leaders" vie for control ; things go horribly wrong...) but all done with extreme energy and creativity. Fantastic performances and the best crash course in contemporary criminal French you are likely to hear/see. This was on Film 4 in the middle of the night - not sure if it's available elsewhere but can't recommend it highly enough. SEE IT. (And that goes double if France win the World Cup this year.)

Been catching up to Rick & Morty on All4. It's not what it once was, but I absolutely did guffaw when, after being faced with a succession of steadily weirder novelty supervillians Rick exclaims "I'm not the fucking Tick!" :)

Fire of Love (2022) is about a French volcanologist couple, Katia and Maurice Krafft. The film gives you a snapshot into their lives, their relationship and their love of volcanoes using material they had put together. They come across as a very interesting and eccentric couple, but you get the feeling they were always sailing very close to the wind in their pursuits. The narration has a slightly whimsical poetic style that didn't always work for me, but the subject matter and visuals are very good.

Into the Inferno (2016) A Werner Herzog volcano documentary effort. Mainly about Indonesian, Icelandic and Vanuatu volcanoes and the importance of local folk legends in interpreting their activity. A researcher from Cambridge appears in it, as well as an archaeologist based in Ethiopia (I think) and they have enough of a personae and love for their subject to carry the film. One or two scenes seemed forced and staged therefore grated a little. Visually superb.

Back
Top Bottom