Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

What DVD / Video did you watch last night? (pt3)

Bedazzled​

Perfect filum and perfect length of time for a filum.

Outland (1981)

Sean Connery tackles corruption and bad company on a mining station off Jupiter. Good support from Frances Sternhagen, Peter Boyle, Clarke Peters plus small roles for Steven Berkoff, Cliff from Cheers and Razors from The Long Good Friday.

The look of the film is very Alien/Blade Runner and even has the great Jerry Goldsmith on the score.

Trying to watch all the Oscar Best Picture nominees.
Last night I saw Top Gun Maverick and it's even more mediocre than the first.
Felt sorry for Jennifer Connolly as she hasn't much to do but simper at Tom Cruise.
Maverick is brought back to Top Gun Academy to teach a new batch of fighters to start World War 3 by bombing the shit out of a country they manage to avoid naming whenever 'the enemy' is mentioned. You never see any enemy's faces as the pilots are masked. It's snowy though, so I reckon it's Canada, like South Park prophecied.

Also, Cruise never wears a helmet on his motorbike and both Cruise and Connolly don’t wear life jackets while yachting. Tsk.

Trying to watch all the Oscar Best Picture nominees.
Last night I saw Top Gun Maverick and it's even more mediocre than the first.
Felt sorry for Jennifer Connolly as she hasn't much to do but simper at Tom Cruise.
Maverick is brought back to Top Gun Academy to teach a new batch of fighters to start World War 3 by bombing the shit out of a country they manage to avoid naming whenever 'the enemy' is mentioned. You never see any enemy's faces as the pilots are masked. It's snowy though, so I reckon it's Canada, like South Park prophecied.
It's a massive improvement on the first but still a bit of a disappointment.

It's a massive improvement on the first but still a bit of a disappointment.
Nah, t'other way round. At least in the first one, Kelly McGillis has something to do - her character is at least in a position of power and not just sidelined like Connolly's.
The second film also lacks the sexual tension of the first.

Nah, t'other way round. At least in the first one, Kelly McGillis has something to do - her character is at least in a position of power and not just sidelined like Connolly's.
The first film's sexual tension where predator maverick follows her into the loo. Ugh.

The first film's only black character is the only fellow pilot than maverick lays a hand on.

Vile film.

FWIW, I saw both films in a double bill. I'd seen the first one on the TV but never in the cinema -- the flight scenes looked about a million times better on the big screen. Maverick was obviously pretty predictable but a bit better than I expected. Again the flight scenes were really good on the big screen. (I say this as not an action film/Tom Cruise/Top Gun fan.)

I was always like 'Sheesh, what IS Kelly McGillis doing? She's so out of his league.' :rolleyes:

Outland (1981)

Sean Connery tackles corruption and bad company on a mining station off Jupiter. Good support from Frances Sternhagen, Peter Boyle, Clarke Peters plus small roles for Steven Berkoff, Cliff from Cheers and Razors from The Long Good Friday.

The look of the film is very Alien/Blade Runner and even has the great Jerry Goldsmith on the score.
A forgotten gem imo. Always good to see a film that takes explosive decompression seriously.

Sahara (1943)

Decent war film starring Humphrey Bogart as a tank commander in the desert caught up in a German advance, taking on a battalion. Definitely of some propaganda value at the time (the Italian character perhaps being a sop to Italian-Americans) and a rag-tag of Allied stereotypes all working together, but some strong performances and Henry V style speeches make it a cut above what you might expect.

A film only mentioned a few times on urban (in this threads predecessor and in a war film thread)

The Remains of the Day (1993). I’m not a massive fan of period drama in the Downton Abbey style, but this film is so much more than that. Superb performances from Hopkins and Thompson; an interesting political dimension and a bit of a tearjerker at the end. You can really see the Hopkins character’s soul disappearing as he walks on the pier with Thompson.

The Remains of the Day (1993). I’m not a massive fan of period drama in the Downton Abbey style, but this film is so much more than that. Superb performances from Hopkins and Thompson; an interesting political dimension and a bit of a tearjerker at the end. You can really see the Hopkins character’s soul disappearing as he walks on the pier with Thompson.

Probably the best of the Merchant/Ivory productions. The leads are peerless.

All Quiet On The Western Front - technically impressive with some unexpectedly beautiful cinematography, but it didn't involve me emotionally as much as 1917 did. The 70s adaptation with Richard Thomas (John Boy off of The Waltons) is a better telling of the novel IMO.

Last edited:
Triangle Of Sadness - there seems to be a rash of rich cunts on a boat/island/train films at the mo. This is the most pretentious one. It's very enjoyable and funny but kind of loses it in the final segment. Very well played by everyone in the ensemble cast - the sweet old couple who happen to be arms dealers were my favourites. But the tone is almost as smug and crass as the people they're mocking. Still gonna check out director Ruben Ostlund's other films though - they seem worth checking out

Roald Dahl’s Matilda the Musical. Very good indeed.

Solid performances including some great dance acts by all of the child cast, aided by a very decent soundtrack by Tim Minchin. And to top it all, Emma Thompson is just superb as Miss Trunchball.

A big thumbs up from me. Unless you positively hate children’s films and musicals, worth watching.

Triangle Of Sadness - there seems to be a rash of rich cunts on a boat/island/train films at the mo. This is the most pretentious one. It's very enjoyable and funny but kind of loses it in the final segment. Very well played by everyone in the ensemble cast - the sweet old couple who happen to be arms dealers were my favourites. But the tone is almost as smug and crass as the people they're mocking. Still gonna check out director Ruben Ostlund's other films though - they seem worth checking out
I was hugely disappointed in The Square, just not very funny and nothing like as insightful as it thought it was (There's a lot of wankers in the art world. Really! Well blow me down that's not been said before).
Force Majere is on available on MUBI at the moment if you did not know

I was hugely disappointed in The Square, just not very funny and nothing like as insightful as it thought it was (There's a lot of wankers in the art world. Really! Well blow me down that's not been said before).
Force Majere is on available on MUBI at the moment if you did not know
Force Majeur is much the best of the three. Comparatively understated with an nteresting central premise.

Farewell my Lovely, 70s crime thriller with Robert Mitchum that I recorded off TPTV. First time I’ve seen one of the Philip Marlowe adaptations - I haven’t read the books but can imagine what they’re like. Enjoyed it, I will look out for more of this sort of thing.

Reactions: Sue
Farewell my Lovely, 70s crime thriller with Robert Mitchum that I recorded off TPTV. First time I’ve seen one of the Philip Marlowe adaptations - I haven’t read the books but can imagine what they’re like. Enjoyed it, I will look out for more of this sort of thing.
Murder My Sweet, based on the same book and one of the first acknowledged noirs, is way better.

The Bogart/Bacall The Big Sleep and The Long Goodbye with Elliott Gould give two different takes that are definitely worth catching. (Mind you, I'd watch Bogart and Bacall read a phone book.)

Love Mitchum but he was a little old for that part , at times it looked as though he was wheeled on and off the set.

For me , although it doesn't stick entirely to the novel, Altman's Long Goodbye is my favourite Marlowe film

Back
Top Bottom