Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

What DVD / Video did you watch last night? (pt3)

It's a TV series' episode rather than a film, but I did watch it on DVD. I'm currently going through The Wire for the umpteenth time. I tend to rewatch it every year or so. Yesterday I watched the first episode of season four, Boys of Summer. I love season four, as it's my favourite of the lot (season two comes a close second).

The excellent French director Bertrand Tavernier has died.
If any film-maker was a living, breathing, flesh-and-blood icon of French cinema, it was Bertrand Tavernier, the legendary, prolific director and a proud son of Lyon – which was itself arguably the historical epicentre of cinema, as the city where Auguste and Louis Lumière set up business. In 2017, I went to the Lumière festival in that city, and was briefly introduced to him there. Tavernier’s presence was indispensable: I have a photograph of a raucous dinner hosted by Thierry Frémaux with Benicio del Toro and Alfonso Cuarón, and Tavernier is an impish, grinning figure to be glimpsed in the mirror, loved by everyone there, a sprightly tutelary deity.

His Coup de Tocuhon is for me the best adaptation of a Jim Thompson work (Pop. 1280) in cinema. Captain Conan is an excellent WWI film, and his last two non -documentary films The Princess of Montpensier and The French Minister are both very good.

(Wasn't really sure where to put this, don't think it would get much interest on its own thread. What do people think about a "cinephiles" type thread, for posting things like this as well as film discussion?)

Reactions: Sue

His Coup de Tocuhon is for me the best adaptation of a Jim Thompson work (Pop. 1280) in cinema. Captain Conan is an excellent WWI film, and his last two non -documentary films The Princess of Montpensier and The French Minister are both very good.

(Wasn't really sure where to put this, don't think it would get much interest on its own thread. What do people think about a "cinephiles" type thread, for posting things like this as well as film discussion?)
Ah, that's sad. I saw him do an intro and Q&A at the BFI to his My journey through French cinema a few years ago.

From his first memory (the liberation of Lyon where his father had been an active resistant) to working with Godard and Melville and Rohmer and knowing greats like Jean Gabin and Renoir, he was full of absolutely fascinating stories about everything. I could've listened to him all night.

That documentary ^ is a great meditation on his view of French cinema. Mentioned loads of directors I'd never heard of and have since been finding out more about. Highly, highly recommended.

Zack Snyder's Justice League

It's dare I say, watchable, and even good in places. Extended run time means more character focus and a few plotlines that seemed oddly truncated or misplaced in the theatrical cut now make more sense and it flows much better. The breaking it up into chapters helps it not feel like a marathon, although I watched it over 2 nights.

A little overstuffed and still very Zack Snyder in all the usual ways (so your mileage may vary), but it's clearly a passion project for him and he's done a decent job salvaging a terrible film.

And his films (at least those I've seen) had a decent political bent too.

I'll check the docu out Sue , cheers
IIRC, he reports Gabin being very scathing about Renoir, saying he was practically a collaborator. :hmm: I think Tavernier was a Communist at least at one time.

Tavernier’s presence was indispensable: I have a photograph of a raucous dinner hosted by Thierry Frémaux with Benicio del Toro and Alfonso Cuarón, and Tavernier is an impish, grinning figure to be glimpsed in the mirror, loved by everyone there, a sprightly tutelary deity.

That really is Peak Graun - even Bradshaw's Insta manages to correctly label it as Guillermo del Toro.

We’ve been watching an episode of Jeeves and Wooster a night for the last month. Pretty good, the best thing either Fry or Laurie have done. Should have packed it in after the show ended.

Stray - a film about stray dogs in Istanbul, beautiful and lovely. Worth watching.

Pilgrimage - BBC2 documentary seven celebs including the Dawkins loving, telegraph writing Dom Tedious Jolly. Edwina currie comes over all Maggie T and some others, walk the sultan’s trail. Great scenery. Some odious cunts. But great scenery.

It's a TV series' episode rather than a film, but I did watch it on DVD. I'm currently going through The Wire for the umpteenth time. I tend to rewatch it every year or so.
I’ve been wondering if I should rewatch The Wire. I don’t think I really got it first (only) time.

Anyway, I watched The Sisters Brothers. Excellent.

I’ve been wondering if I should rewatch The Wire. I don’t think I really got it first (only) time.

It's one of those shows that you'll find new things each time you watch it. A second watch should help fill in many of the missed gaps.

Anyway, I'm also watching The Larry Sanders Show on DVD, too. Currently on season three.

Comanche Station - Last of the Renown Cycle of Westerns by Budd Boetticher and Randolph Scott. Finishing off an excellent series of films. Ride Lonesome is my favourite but they are all worth checking out

The Flower of Evil - Late Chabrol, no surprise that murder and secrets. Not from his top draw but even lesser Chabrol is still worth watching.

Cross of Iron - Superb. Coburn is brilliant, Warner and Mason delivering as usual. And it looks great.

Alpha Papa. I don’t know why but despite loving Partridge I just don’t like him in the big screen format. I saw this film on a plane several years ago and felt the same way, my opinion hasn’t changed.

I think because he shares billing with Pat Farrell the attention on Alan is reduced. Or possibly I watched it on a really unpleasant flight so my memories are forever tainted.

Rango. It really is a fantastic animation film; superb look and drawings, great soundtrack, and a good storyline that works for both children and grown-ups.

Even though it was critically acclaimed, did well at the box office and won the Oscar for best animated feature, it feels to me it has flown under the radar compared with any old shit Disney/Pixar releases.

Rango. It really is a fantastic animation film; superb look and drawings, great soundtrack, and a good storyline that works for both children and grown-ups.

Even though it was critically acclaimed, did well at the box office and won the Oscar for best animated feature, it feels to me it has flown under the radar compared with any old shit Disney/Pixar releases.

Same for Inside Out

Brideshead Revisited on Britbox. Got 6 months free from BT.

One of my favourite books, and not seen the TV adaptation for at least 15 years

The Imperialists are Still Alive - Rather good film following the exploits of a French-Lebanese woman living in New York post-9/11 and Iraq who's friend has gone missing (possibly detained by the US government). There's a subtle understated comedy about the piece, it avoids a lot of the traps of US indie films. And it looks gorgeous shot on 16 mm.

Chinese Puzzle - Last part off the Spanish Apartment, Russian Dolls trilogy maybe it's just the mood I was in (apart to go on leave) but, while still not a fan of the trilogy, I thought this was probably the best of the three (certainly better than RD). It's the same characters, plot, and themes but the plot was tighter here, there was less annoying mannerisms and fantasy sequences. If you've not seen any of the three but are interested I'd recommend skipping parts 1 and 2 and going straight to this.

BFI Obituary of Tavernier
Both men loved British cinema more than most Brits, taking up the cause of Michael Powell when he had fallen from grace after the scandal of Peeping Tom. Tavernier was proud of his casting of a crotchety Dirk Bogarde in These Foolish Things (Daddy Nostalgie, 1990), and wasn’t afraid to challenge the actor when he tried to rule the set, thereafter earning his respect (years before, Tavernier had also dared to confront Stanley Kubrick, who drove him crazy when Tavernier was working as a publicist for A Clockwork Orange).
More significant was his final production, a documentary and television series examining the history of French cinema, A Journey Through French Cinema (Voyage a travers le cinema français, 2016). Tavernier’s approach was unashamedly personal, following the line of Scorsese’s explorations of American and Italian cinema, with an authoritative voiceover binding together a huge range of film extracts. This seemingly never-ending project revealed both his strengths and prejudices, as Tavernier made little reference to the silent period and had no apparent sympathy for anything escapist. Just as in his own films, Tavernier was only really interested in a cinema that demonstrated a social or political engagement. It was an attitude from which he never wavered.

Back
Top Bottom