Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

What DVD / Video did you watch last night? (pt3)

The Big Ugly - Despite the presence of Malcolm McDowell and Ron Pearlman and potentially fairly interesting premise this film suffers from what could only be described as a tragic waste of time and money. London gangsters invest dirty money into an oil producer in the Appalachians . Oil bosses son cops off with the gangsters muscle’s girlfriend who is found dead and hence a tale of revenge that suits neither the London Gangster or the Oilmans business interests . The fact that role of the muscle is played by Vinny Jones sent warning signs but due to wanting to finish the bottle of red I’d half drunk I persisted with it only to be let down at every borrowed idea , shallow character development and cliche to the inevitable heart warming end . On par with Steven Segal films tbh . If you want revenge get the full Neeson .

Season 2 of Pennyworth. Superb so far, better than S1 IMO. Good story and great production values. This series deserves far more public awareness and recognition than it gets. If it was being shown on Netflix it’d have a much higher profile I reckon.

So We Bought a Zoo - I have to always give at least one star to a "family" film that doesn't make me puke, so I'll give it two. Tragic lack of Peter, Paul, and Mary on the soundtrack, too.

The Important Man [Ánimas Trujano (El hombre importante)] (1961)
Excellent film by Mexican director Ismael Rodríguez starring legendary Japanese actor Toshirô Mifune, who was dubbed by another actor but he learnt the lines phonetically and the lip syncing and voice matching is so good you can hardly tell. It's Mifune's performance here that really carries the film, Rodriguez directing might not be up to the standards of other directors Mifune had worked with but it's pretty good for a Mexican film of that time.
Plot - A Mexican man wants to become the Mayordomo of his village, a prestigious but expensive role where you get to organize the towns annual celebrations. Unfortunately, and to the displeasure of his wife and children, he is an unfaithful, lazy drunk & a luckless gambler.
Also watched Tizoc [Indian Love] a colour film from 1957 by the same director which is OK but not as good.

Last edited:
The Father. Anthony Hopkins hospital n the title role as a man with dementia/Alzheimer's and Olivia Coleman as his daughter. Destined for awards success and I'm not surprised. The performances are excellent. One of those films with wide appeal and interest that if they're not already, will leave many viewers fearful of growing old. Absolutely brilliant.

The Father. Anthony Hopkins hospital n the title role as a man with dementia/Alzheimer's and Olivia Coleman as his daughter. Destined for awards success and I'm not surprised. The performances are excellent. One of those films with wide appeal and interest that if they're not already, will leave many viewers fearful of growing old. Absolutely brilliant.
Is that another naughty acquisition? I’ve got a similar film lined up to watch: Falling - Viggo Mortensen directing and starring with Lance Henrikson as his ailing Dad

Bellamy - The great Claude Chabrol's last film, his summary of it as 'Maigret on vacation' is very apt. Depardieu is the detective on holiday who gets embroiled in a mystery while dealing with the tense relationship between him and his brother. It is very much a continuation of the themes and ideas that Chabrol explored throughout his career and while not in the very top draw of Chabrol's it shows that even after 50(?) films he was still doing some good work.

La Ceremonie - Now this is from the top draw, Chabrol's adaptation of Ruth Rendell's A Judgement in Stone. Despite moving the plot forward two decades (from the mid-70s to the mid-90s) the tensions of class and provincial life still work. Isabelle Huppert is her usual quality, and the actors playing the family are good (including Jean-Pierre Cassel and a very young Virginie Leydon) but Sandrine Bonnaire steals the show as the illiterate Sophie. Her can feel her fear and panic at the appearance of the notes from the family that she tries to decipher. Bonnaire also stars, in a very different role, in one of my other favourite Chabrol's The Colour of Lies, I don't know why she is not a bigger star, she is clearly an excellent actor (as well as being very attractive, which shouldn't matter, but of course did/does).

Splendour in the Grass - Elia Kazan directs Warren Beatty and Natalie Wood as mixed up kids. It's all very 60s melodrama, the gap of understanding between parents and children. For me there is an awful lot of ACTING going on. And it lacks the subtlety of the excellent Wild River, Kazan made a year earlier. Still it does look gorgeous.

A Prophet - Re-watched this on MUBI, I saw it at the cinema when it was first released and was very impressed, and I'm still impressed on this viewing. Tahar Rahim and Niels Arestrup are excellent, some of the scenes are really beautiful. The 2 1/2 hour time is probably pushing it a little, losing 15 minutes would not have hurt but still an excellent piece of work. I'm looking forward to watching Dheepan (which I've not seen before)

The Ex-Mrs Bradford - An attempt to capture the success of The Thin Man mix of screwball comedy with crime mystery, William Powell basically plays the same role but Jean Arthur steps in for Myrna Loy. It does not quite have the sharpness and speed of the best of The Thin Man series but there are some very nice gags, it's good fun and Arthur and Powell are charming.

Then I caught up on the Marlene Desire season Melbourne Cinematheque had/are having watching Angel, Desire and A Foreign Affair.
Angel
is very Lubitsch (not a bad thing) and Dietrich plays off Herbert Marshall well, but it suffers from a badly cast Melvyn Douglas who not only looks and sounds very American (he's supposed to be English) but is also not very credible as someone who Dietrich would fall for.
Desire has a great start, it sets off at a hundred miles an hour and it works, Cooper's interaction with his boss to get a holiday and Dietrich's jewell theft are brilliant, but it loses pace a bit in the middle travel section and the final third is weaker still, having Dietrich cowed by Cooper does not work and is just disappointing.
A Foreign Affair is my favourite of the three, I'm not a huge fan of Wilder - I recognise he's an excellent director but a lot of his films just do not click with me - but this is great. Dietrich certainly does not let any man take her down here, and Jean Arthur is fantastic as the business first, morally upright Iowa congresswoman who falls in love. The script is brilliant, the unashamedly literary speech given by the US colonel when taking the congress committee for a tour of Berlin is a masterpiece. And there are just some very simple but funny gags. Only slight let down is John Lund as the love interest, he does not convince as the ladies man.

Undine - Christian Petzold is one of my favourite modern directors, but I saw mixed reviews for this most recent film of his so was a little apprehensive sitting down to watch this. I did not need to be as is it excellent. For a start it is a wonderfully beautiful film to look at, the colours are amazing (lots of rich reds and greens), it's portrait of Berlin looks great (I've never been so no idea how accurate it is), I absolutely want to go and visit the museum (if if exists) where Undine works and see the models of the city. Then the acting is uniformly good, Paula Beer and Franz Rogowski are great in the lead roles but the supporting cast is all on the ball too. It's a perfect 90 minutes, no flab. It is more fey, or fantastical than you might associate with Petzold's work like Barbara or Phoenix, but I agree with the Sight and Sound review, that these elements are within Petzold's older work, what you have is a change of tack not a total shift in style. Absolutely recommend this

Last edited:
Is that another naughty acquisition? I’ve got a similar film lined up to watch: Falling - Viggo Mortensen directing and starring with Lance Henrikson as his ailing Dad

It is :oops:. (I should start stating that I think)...I'd not heard of it before seeing Bradshaw's list of Baftas contenders yesterday morning. I'll have a look for Falling.

Baby Done, a fairly run-of-the-mill Kiwi rom-com made good by a quite charming cast. Rose Matafeo of many UK comedy shows stars and does a pretty good job of it.

Judas & the Black Messiah

The betrayal and assassination of Black Panther leader Fred Hampton. LaKeith Stanfield and Daniel Kaluuya are both just amazing and the story itself is almost unbelievable, except it is all true. It actually espouses his politics not the screenwriters', unlike the equally lauded Trial of the Chicago Seven. It shows offing pigs as being not just justifiable, but positively necessary. It's smart, sassy and sharp. Very, very well worth viewing.

Quite how both of the actors portraying the characters referred to in the films title got nominated for Best Supporting Actor is a tad bizarre. Who the hell is the film about then, if it aint either of them?

Judas & the Black Messiah

The betrayal and assassination of Black Panther leader Fred Hampton. LaKeith Stanfield and Daniel Kaluuya are both just amazing and the story itself is almost unbelievable, except it is all true. It actually espouses his politics not the screenwriters', unlike the equally lauded Trial of the Chicago Seven. It shows offing pigs as being not just justifiable, but positively necessary. It's smart, sassy and sharp. Very, very well worth viewing.

Quite how both of the actors portraying the characters referred to in the films title got nominated for Best Supporting Actor is a tad bizarre. Who the hell is the film about then, if it aint either of them?
I think it’s just strategy on the part of the studio

Ghost Stories - Horror written by Jeremy Dyson of League of Gentlemen fame, based on his play.
The story of a professional sceptic who, upon meeting his aged childhood idol of poo-pooing the paranormal, is given three cases to try and disprove. "Please tell me I'm wrong".
Very little in the way of shock horror, just trying to be as creepy and eerie as possible and largely succeeding. I would recommend, even if the end seemed a bit drawn out. (The stage play is meant to be quite short)

Happily. A dark comedy thriller mystery. It is a strange beast, but not a bad film. A good directorial debut. The story and characters could have had a bit more mileage than we get in the finished product, but it was enjoyable nonetheless.

Songs My Brothers Taught Me...Chloe Zhao's first feature length film follows Johnny as he prepares to finish school, sells booze on the Lakota reservation where he lives and manages his love life. I like Chloe Zhao's films and although this isn't quite as good as Nomadland or The Rider it does a great job of showing a community I might not otherwise realise existed and uses a lot of non actors. Seems pretty mad that she's directing a Marvel film next.

La Ceremonie - Now this is from the top draw, Chabrol's adaptation of Ruth Rendell's A Judgement in Stone. Despite moving the plot forward two decades (from the mid-70s to the mid-90s) the tensions of class and provincial life still work. Isabelle Huppert is her usual quality, and the actors playing the family are good (including Jean-Pierre Cassel and a very young Virginie Leydon) but Sandrine Bonnaire steals the show as the illiterate Sophie. Her can feel her fear and panic at the appearance of the notes from the family that she tries to decipher. Bonnaire also stars, in a very different role, in one of my other favourite Chabrol's The Colour of Lies, I don't know why she is not a bigger star, she is clearly an excellent actor (as well as being very attractive, which shouldn't matter, but of course did/does).
Brilliant film that, my favourite of Chabrol's that I've seen.
You're right about Bonnaire, I also thought she was outstanding in Jacques Rivette's long slow thriller Secret Defense which you might be interested in if you haven't seen it.

You're right about Bonnaire, I also thought she was outstanding in Jacques Rivette's long slow thriller Secret Defense which you might be interested in if you haven't seen it.
And even better in Sans toi ni loi (Vagabond) by Agnes Varda which is a great, if very bleak, film.

Watched Sorry To Bother You last night, with the excellent LaKeith Stanfield. Was generally pretty good, but did not go at all in the direction I was expecting at the end!

And even better in Sans toi ni loi (Vagabond) by Agnes Varda which is a great, if very bleak, film.
Cheers I'll try and check out both of those.

The Important Man [Ánimas Trujano (El hombre importante)] (1961)
Excellent film by Mexican director Ismael Rodríguez starring legendary Japanese actor Toshirô Mifune, who was dubbed by another actor but he learnt the lines phonetically and the lip syncing and voice matching is so good you can hardly tell. It's Mifune's performance here that really carries the film, Rodriguez directing might not be up to the standards of other directors Mifune had worked with but it's pretty good for a Mexican film of that time.
Plot - A Mexican man wants to become the Mayordomo of his village, a prestigious but expensive role where you get to organize the towns annual celebrations. Unfortunately, and to the displeasure of his wife and children, he is an unfaithful, lazy drunk & a luckless gambler.
Also watched Tizoc [Indian Love] a colour film from 1957 by the same director which is OK but not as good.

Oh, would love to see the Mifune film. I see it's on YouTube but in Spanish...

Pusher 2. The trilogy is on Mubi and it's a while since I first watched them. First part is a great intro to some nasty characters but the second piles on the misery. Tonny played by Mads Mikkelson is a great character like De Niro's Johnny Boy in Mean Streets, just a loose canon, although here we get to see why he's like he is with the introduction of his father, The Duke. These are some of the best crime films ever imo, just horrible in how real looking it all is....well everything except Tonny's tattoos. I felt drained by the end.

Fuck knows why they needed US remakes. Has anyone seen them?

I saw Kedi at the cinema. Loved it.

I'm not sure I can cope with watching Stray at the moment. I've been feeling really homesick and I'm missing "my" street dog, Countess, who visited our garden regularly during lockdown last Spring.

Pusher 2. The trilogy is on Mubi and it's a while since I first watched them. First part is a great intro to some nasty characters but the second piles on the misery. Tonny played by Mads Mikkelson is a great character like De Niro's Johnny Boy in Mean Streets, just a loose canon, although here we get to see why he's like he is with the introduction of his father, The Duke. These are some of the best crime films ever imo, just horrible in how real looking it all is....well everything except Tonny's tattoos. I felt drained by the end.

Funnily enough today I found an old screengrab of Mikkelson looking particularly sheckshee in this :D

PUSHER 2.jpg

Watched Sorry To Bother You last night, with the excellent LaKeith Stanfield. Was generally pretty good, but did not go at all in the direction I was expecting at the end!

I bloody loved that film. The rap scene will stay with me forever. And yes, the, er, change of direction was proper jaw dropping.

Computer Chess - comedy set in the mid-80s about the happenings at the US national computer chess championships. It is very American indie, lots of tricks, lots of side-glances, but at a reasonably fast 90 minutes the joke just about lasts.

Slack Bay - Not quite sure what I make of this one. It's a sort of French slapstick mad comedy fantasy. It is 1910 and an upper class family are going to their country house on the coast, the local oyster pickers/seamen are going about their business and there are some cops investigating a series of disappearances. The first half I hard a bit hard going but then things did pick up in the second. Unlike Computer Chess it does not know when the joke is up and could do with shortening by at least 15 minutes. For my money there is too much of the cops and family and not enough of the two you lovers.

Twentieth Century - Howard Hawks directs Carole Lombard and John Barrymore in one of the first screwball comedies. It does not quite compete with the great Bringing Up Baby but Lombard is delightful and Barrymore hams it up brilliantly.

Silent Action - An Italian action film I tried on the basis of a recommendation from the BFI, but the comparisons to Dirty Harry must have been done under the influence of something pretty strong. It is pretty terrible, most interesting as a period piece. The most interesting thing about it is the cynicism and sort of acknowledgement of the strategy of tension in the film from that era.

I Kiss You Hand Madame - Marlene Dietrich silent film. Dietrich falls in love with a waiter under the impression that he is a count (which he secretly is). Of interest to film buffs but not really something that many will find a great watch

The Lavender Hill Mob - More modern films should be 90 minutes, it cuts out all the chaff and ensures there is no flab. This is a perfect example, incidental details be damned we want things to be moving at a cracking pace, with the jokes coming constantly.

Autumn Leaves - Joan Crawford falls in love with the mentally ill Cliff Robertson, will their love survive? A portrayal of mental illness by Robert Aldrich, you can kind of suspect what you are going to get and you'd be right on the money. Subtlety was not in a 100 miles of this film. That said like a lot of Aldrich's work there is something there. The build of the relationship is played well, and Crawford delivers a good performance

Hush...Hush, Sweet Charlotte - The lesser sister of Whatever Happened to Baby Jane? Aldrich tries the same style moved to the Deep South (accents aplenty) Bette Davies returns but Crawford dropped out. At over 2 hours it lacks the economy of Autumn Leaves, and is the worse for it.

L'Enfer - Chabrol's completion of Clouzet's unfinished film. Very interesting to to see the two the combination of two different film makes who share a commonality of themes. To my mind there are definite Clouzet touches present, whether they were present already or whether Chabrol added them in homage I do not know. Anyway the film shows that John Peel's adage about The Fall also applies to Chabrol, same themes but still adding something new and while following the same path still making good films through the 90s into the 00s. This one has a hotel owner become suspicious of his wife and slowly descend into paranoia. The mixing of fantasy and reality echos back to Chabrol's earlier 70s work of The Butcher or La Rupture.

Not films but in what ended up being a classic TV evening I watched

the final 3 episodes of series 1 of the rise and fall of reggie perrin
an episode of Brideshead Revisited
the first episode of Auf Wiedersen Pet - which I discovered on Britbox

Con Man (series). Nothing to do with swindlers, but rather comic cons. A two-season short-episode farcical comedy series written and starring Alan Tudyc about an actor who once played the pilot of a spaceship in a cult following sci-fi space series (rings any bells?), and now reluctantly attends comic cons to raise cash whilst trying to revive his ailing career.

I had heard great things about this so when the first two or three episodes failed to make much of an impression, I was as surprised as was disappointed. But then it got massively better very quickly, and by the end of S1 I wouldn’t describe it as anything else than a bloody brilliant and clever sitcom series.

Fans of sci-fi will also enjoy the numerous cameos, including some of the main main characters from Firefly playing themselves. But regardless of that, it is a very good comedy series.

We bought S1 on Amazon for £7, but for some idiotic reason S2 is sold by the episode only, so we’ll have to wait until we find a cheaper alternative.

Back
Top Bottom