Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

What DVD / Video did you watch last night? (pt3)

I watched Nobody last night, I thought it was really good fun - the less you know about it, the better, as part of the enjoyment is trying to work out what kind of film it's going to turn out to be. Odenkirk is a great actor - can't separate him from Saul now, but it still works.

The bit at the beginning when it was deliberately like Better Call Saul was good, but I thought the rest of it was tedious shite.

Black Bear. Watched it last night and still thinking about it. Great film :thumbs:
We nearly did, may do after LoD.

Ended up watching The Power instead, low budget horror set amidst the seventies power cuts in a Victorian hospital beset by ghosts. A bit cheap n cheerful but effective and sufficiently scary.

We nearly did, may do after LoD.

Ended up watching The Power instead, low budget horror set amidst the seventies power cuts in a Victorian hospital beset by ghosts. A bit cheap n cheerful but effective and sufficiently scary.
I liked that. I would say to anyone who starts it that they should not expect a horror film, and quit halfway because it feels formulaic and not scary. This is in fact a thriller, and once it becomes apparent the film becomes a different beast, and end ends up being quite entertaining.

Black Bear. Watched it last night and still thinking about it. Great film :thumbs:
The acting was superb and additional points for a reasonably original storyline, though as soon as the second act started the premise and structure of the film became crystal clear. Good enough but kept thinking a full third act would have made for an ever fuller movie.

I love Billy Wilder movies. And yes, Ace in the Hole is great though believe its cynicism went down very badly at the time, if now it looks pretty prescient.

'I don't pray. Kneeling bags my nylons.'

So I settled down to watch This Boy's Life. Then it strikes me that this doesn't seem to be the 50's gay coming of age story I remember reading. That'd be because that's A Boy's Own Story. Oops. :oops:

Rules Don't Apply, Warren's Beatty's take on Howard Hughes. So better than The Aviator (which I pretty much hated) but pretty bland and a bit pointless. Meh. (Maybe I just don't find Hughes very interesting.)

I'm watching Borgen, a decade after everyone else. The whole "Nyborg as Mother of the Nation" thing is laid on a bit thick.

Sound of Metal

Fuck me, that was good. Riz Ahmed is outstanding as is the whole sound production. The fear and sadness of Ruben is palpable as is the appalling nature of American healthcare. My fil had a cochlear implant, as in the film, but they spent a month talking to him about exactly what it could achieve, the idea of just taking the money without that kind of help first is just horrifying.

Black Bear

Aubrey Plaza led piece about…. relationships and film-making?? Funny, unsettling, highly watchable. The ‘switch’ is neatly done and carried through. A bit too reminiscent of Living in Oblivion occasionally, but well worth a view.

When they stopped to get the room background I immediately thought of that. At which point the mrs quipped "I don't even have dreams with dwarves in them".
yup, the words 'room tone' can never be uttered again without making you think of LIO

Synchronic - an indie scifi film by directors Moorhead & Benson - who apparently have made a bunch of decent horror/scifi films with the theme of addiction running through them.
This one's about two paramedics dealing with the effects of a designer drug kind of like DMT. Best not say any more as the less you know the better. Packed with ideas and imagination and realised brilliantly on a low budget indie. Thumbs up from me. Now have to check out their other films.

Finished Shadow and Bone, drags a bit for first couple of eps but good fun by the end. Also finished Invincible. Gory and rather brilliant comic/anime with the greatest voice cast, ever.

Raw
Belgian feminist body horror about an student at the weirdest veterinary college I’ve ever seen on screen (although admittedly I’ve not seen any others) who gets cannibalistic stirrings after being forced into eating raw meat in a absurd hazing ritual for new arrivals.
Brilliant - some truly gross scenes (the waxing scene - eek!) and a wildly unpredictable plot. Fantastic soundtrack and score too. 5 sausage fingers out of 5

Raw
Belgian feminist body horror about an student at the weirdest veterinary college I’ve ever seen on screen (although admittedly I’ve not seen any others) who gets cannibalistic stirrings after being forced into eating raw meat in a absurd hazing ritual for new arrivals.
Brilliant - some truly gross scenes (the waxing scene - eek!) and a wildly unpredictable plot. Fantastic soundtrack and score too. 5 sausage fingers out of 5

Is it streaming?

Raw
I saw that in the cinema when it came out without knowing anything about it. It was one of my top films of that year and I'm not even into horror.

Cat In The Wall
Loachian no-budget comedy drama about a Bulgarian family on a council estate in Peckham struggling to get by and warring with their neighbours. It’s ok, some of the characters have rather unsavoury views but the film carefully examines our post-Brexit cultural landscape - the tensions between ‘old’ and ‘new’ immigrants and ‘indigenous’ Londoners, the corruption of councils refurbishing their estates and even some class tension, the middle class and anti-Marxist Bulgarian family look down upon the White and Black population of their estate as benefits scroungers, but we’re not invited to share that view. 3 piss-covered lifts out of 5

In Search Of Blind Joe Death - The Saga Of John Fahey
Documentary about the visionary eccentric ‘Primitive American’ steel string guitarist. It’s not a hagiography but Fahey is a likeable character despite his chaotic life and alcoholism. And the music is of course transportingly beautiful
4 box turtles out of 5

Watched Mank the other night, which was okay but nowhere near as good as it's bundle of Oscar nominations would suggest.

Black Bear

Aubrey Plaza led piece about…. relationships and film-making?? Funny, unsettling, highly watchable. The ‘switch’ is neatly done and carried through. A bit too reminiscent of Living in Oblivion occasionally, but well worth a view.
Never heard of this, but sounds right up my street - adding to the watchlist. :)

Stories We Tell, a film about actor/director Sarah Polley's family (mainly her mother, who died when she was 11), directed by her. Not normally my cup of tea, this sort of thing. But it was highly recommended and I'm glad I did watch it.
It's not necessary to have grown up with her in Road to Avonlea as I did, in fact it probably helps to have never heard of anyone involved at all.

I give it 4/5, and I'm not normally a fan of these "true family" sort of things.

Quo Vadis, Aida?
Harrowing and almost unwatchable (but at the same time utterly compelling) film about a Bosnian Muslim teacher working in Sbrenica as a go-between for the UN negotiating with Serbian General Mladic, whilst trying to save her husband and sons from being taken away by Mladic’s goons. It’s no spoiler to say that it doesn’t end well as it’s documented history and Is struggle to describe the film as an entertainment. I am ashamed to say I knew very little about the massacre as in 1995 I was only interested in partying was only dimly aware of it at the time.
I say it’s a hard watch but most of the violence is off screen - there is no gore or fetishised war violence. We are under no illusions about what is happening though and the tension and inevitability of it all made me feel sick to the stomach. It should have won the Oscar for best ‘foreign’ film, but lost out a comedy about teachers getting pissed (Another around)
The best film about the mundane obscenity of war and genocide since Come and See and as equally nightmarish. 5/5

Tusk - an untypical Kevin Smith film that was apparently made for a sort of dare after a stupid idle chit chat on a podcast. You can tell. 2 screaming manwalruses out of 5

Back
Top Bottom