Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

What DVD / Video did you watch last night? (pt3)

Tusk - an untypical Kevin Smith film that was apparently made for a sort of dare after a stupid idle chit chat on a podcast. You can tell. 2 screaming manwalruses out of 5

For a moment there I was hoping you would be giving your opinion on a biopic of a former President of the European Council.

Archenemy. A 2020 independent dark superhero film based on a story not related to any of the established comic/ superhero universes.

We saw it out of desperation as we had nothing else at all to watch, and I was expecting a shitshow, but it turned out to be surprisingly decent, and no worse than plenty of the second-tier films from Marvel and DC.

It feels like a Tarantino/ Sin City hybrid and whilst not fantastically good, it is certainly very watchable.

The Nevers. A new Joss Whedon/ HBO supernatural sci-fi series. I wasn’t hopeful after seeing some critics‘ reviews, but whereas the first episode feels a bit pedestrian and more Sky than HBO, it gets better by every episode. The second half of the series will be released at a later date, but this first half really finds its sweet spot in the latter episodes, the fifth one in particular being fantastically good.

I’ll say something else for it: the series contains two or three great twists, one in particular being a mind fuck of Kyser Soze proportions.

Succession.

Skulduggery in high places, specifically a media empire family who are obviously based on the Murdochs. The beta cuck son who's being groomed to take over the family firm bears a striking resemblance to Bashar Al-Assad the killer geek. Seriously, when they make World's Biggest Cunts: the Movie they could cast this guy as the Shithouse of Damascus.

Anyway, in this case the son ends up in some pretty dark places. His siblings are also all different varieties of bastards, including the sister who is a Democratic party (funny sort of democracy) strategist. Brian Cox is the toxic, abusive patriarch who is going to sink the while operation with his outdated business concepts, and on whom they are all financially and emotionally dependent.

At one point a character turns up who might as well be called Sernie Banders. But he isn't as well used as you might like. In fact I think this show might be aimed at downwardly mobile types who regret not properly getting behind America's Last Hope.

Basically, nearly everyone in this show is a horrible person, including the poor eejit we first see vomiting into the hood of his theme park character suit. In spite of this, however, the first season of this show has a very compulsive quality, and will keep you watching. Should you watch it? Maybe, but the first couple of episodes will make you long for Lady Guillotine.

One last couple of things: the filming is really dark, at first you'll wonder if there's something up with your telly. And then you'll say, OK, we get the point, these people are living in Darkness. And the dialogue and acting are pretty good. The script in some places, made me wonder if it would have been better as a stage play.

Succession.

Skulduggery in high places, specifically a media empire family who are obviously based on the Murdochs. The beta cuck son who's being groomed to take over the family firm bears a striking resemblance to Bashar Al-Assad the killer geek. Seriously, when they make World's Biggest Cunts: the Movie they could cast this guy as the Shithouse of Damascus.

Anyway, in this case the son ends up in some pretty dark places. His siblings are also all different varieties of bastards, including the sister who is a Democratic party (funny sort of democracy) strategist. Brian Cox is the toxic, abusive patriarch who is going to sink the while operation with his outdated business concepts, and on whom they are all financially and emotionally dependent.

At one point a character turns up who might as well be called Sernie Banders. But he isn't as well used as you might like. In fact I think this show might be aimed at downwardly mobile types who regret not properly getting behind America's Last Hope.

Basically, nearly everyone in this show is a horrible person, including the poor eejit we first see vomiting into the hood of his theme park character suit. In spite of this, however, the first season of this show has a very compulsive quality, and will keep you watching. Should you watch it? Maybe, but the first couple of episodes will make you long for Lady Guillotine.

One last couple of things: the filming is really dark, at first you'll wonder if there's something up with your telly. And then you'll say, OK, we get the point, these people are living in Darkness. And the dialogue and acting are pretty good. The script in some places, made me wonder if it would have been better as a stage play.
S2 is even better. Love that show.

State Funeral. 2 hours of compiled footage of Stalin's funeral in 1953 followed by a Q&A with the director. I was prepared for this being hard work but it's absolutely fascinating, like a meditation watching the thousands of faces not knowing what they're really thinking. There's some amazing clothing on display from the biggest hats of the Bulgarian contingent come to pay respects to the smocks and padded coats of workers in frozen regions. I was hoping for a rendition of the national anthem but it wasn't to be.I've always liked the death march though which gets good airtime and its all worth it for the end where a woman sings the most bizarre song. It's on mubi.

Being re-watching quite a few things that have come up on MUBI over the last couple of weeks

Donnie Darko - now 20 years old. Both its qualities and flaws were more moderate than I remembered. Not a great classic but enjoyable and with more content than many blockbusters. Also helped launch Maggie Gyllenhaal's career which is a good thing.

Compliance - still very good on second viewing. I always found the 'complicity of the viewer' angle some critics banged on about trite but film is just excellently put together. Anne Dowd and Dreama Walker turn in excellent performances, good script, good pacing keeping the tension high, and knows the right length for itself.

LA Confidential - have to say the first thing that struck me on re-watching this was how young Guy Pearce and Russell Crowe look. The first two thirds are absolutely excellent, brilliant blend of sleazy neo-noir. The tightness drops in the last third of the film, I do not have any problem with the ending not being faithful to the books, but the films ending is too wrapped up and cliched.

Touchez pas au Grisbi - film that returning Jean Gabin to star status. Totally fantastic and probably even better on second viewing. Two ageing gangsters confront themselves, their friendship and those that would take the proceeds of their latest robbery. If you have not seen it take the free MUBI trial and watch it before it leaves in the next 48 hours. A total stone cold classic.

The Duellists - Back when Ridley Scott could make a decent film. Keith Carradine and Harvey Keitel are the titular characters, two officers in the Napoleonic army that fight a series of duels. Contains a huge number of British character actors from the time (the entire cast apart from the two stars and one of the female roles) - Alun Armstrong, Pete Postlethwaite, Edward Fox, Tom Conti, etc. It's a well made, well acted piece and Scott keeps things moving on track (something that he can seemingly no longer do), no spare flesh.

Then some stuff I've seen for the first time

The Wrecking Crew - fucking awful, primarily remembered as Sharon Tate's last completed film and frankly that is about all it has going for it. Supposedly a spy comedy starring Dean Martin it is unfunny, tedious and best missed. The director Phil Karlson was a decent noir filmmaker but he turned in crap here

Hell's Island - Karlson also directed this, which while no first rate classic is a millions times better than The Wrecking Crew, it's got all the usual noir stereotypes but they are done with enough style and quality that you can go along for the ride.

The Sniper - one of those progressive 50s Hollywood message pictures that are more common that some think. Its view of mental illness is pretty terrible by today's standards (though the angle on violence against women is interesting in light of recent stories) but at the time was probably quote out there. Sadly the focus on the films message detracts from the quality of the film, leading to problems with the pacing. Interesting and worth while checking out of this period is up your street but not great.

Foxy Brown - First time I've ever seen this and watched it for the historic aspect. Frankly I don't think there is much else going for it. Pan Grier is good but film as a whole is a tedious mess. Would not bother with it.

Wanted for Murder - post-war British thriller. Watched it because has Eric Portman, from A Canterbury Tale and an actor I like, it in but sadly its not a great deal of cop. Portman is a serial killer who feels compelled to strangle woman, probably a interesting angle at the time it was made but not so much now. There are some good one liners in it and some good set pieces but it needs 15 minutes cutting from it and a better hero and heroine.

I've been catching up with a MUBI season on the early works of Hou Hsiao-Hsien. I know the name but the only film I've previously seen is The Assassin, which despite the glowing reviews I was not madly impressed. Here there was
Cute Girl - HHHs first film and really pretty rubbish, a highly formulaic (at least that is the impression I got) romantic comedy that is not funny and with has some very silly jumps. Of interest as a curiosity but otherwise give it a miss
The Green, Green Grass of Home - Better, another romantic comedy and still with some flaws (cliched characters, daft jokes) but with much greater depth than the previous film and some genuinely charming moments
The Boys from Fengkuei - supposedly the directors break through movie, you can see some of the elements (young people growing up) from the previous films here but the formulaic aspects have been cut and a more personal vision is present. Characters are much better drawn, there is a much more downbeat feel and it looks better.
The Daughter of the Nile - easily the best of the four, again plot concerns young characters navigating their lives, coming into conflict of their own making and the interactions with older generations and society. It looks good and the characters are both real while remaining sympathetic.
Overall I'd probably skip the first two and concentrate on the latter two.

Also two films by Carl Theodor Dreyer
Vampyr - wonderful little horror, official a sound film it does not have any real dialogue but does have music. As you can guess from the title it is based on vampire myths. The story really plays second role to the look, it is gorgeous to look at, beautiful black and white images.
The Passion of Joan of Arc - In contrast to the previous film I have to say I was a little disappointed in this given it's reputation. For me Vampyr worked so well because it was a wonderful short piece, this felt too extended to me. It may be that the subject matter was part of the reason why I found this less interesting, I've never got the deep interest so many people have of Joan of Arc. Worth watching due to it's history but I'll take Vampyr over it any day of the week.

Death in the Garden - Stupendous, absolutely gorgeous film from Buñuel. A group of people get trapped in the jungle and have to survive and escape. As I said this looks truly wonderful. I'm nota major Buñuel fan but this is great, it keeps many of his classic themes but has a much stronger plot and characters than you sometimes get in his films. Definitely worth checking out.

The Cruel Story of Youth - A school girl falls in love with a young student and they move in together despite the views of her family and society. They get their money from ripping off older men that offer her 'a lift home'. It all ends badly. Again another wonderful looking film, lots of great colours.

The Chess Players - Satyajit Ray's film about the East India Company's manoeuvrings in India prior to the 1857 Mutiny/Revolt. Ray has two plots unfolding simultaneously in one the company's chiefs are attempting to depose a ruler of his kingdom so they can move in (even more), while this is occurring, but oblivious to these events, two aristocrats of the kingdom are meeting daily for games of chess (Said Jeffrey delivers a great turn as one of the aristocrats). Ray intertwines the two plots brilliantly mixing the comic and tragic elements. Very good.

Jean de Florette

It's kind of improbable that a French person would throw over a pensionable civil service job in the tax office and go and become a peasant farmer.

Henri-Georges Clouzot's Inferno - Documentary outlining the failed attempt by Clouzot to make his film L'enfer, starring Romy Schneider. A very good documentary, using a combination of talking heads (well limited), re-discovered footage of both test and some scenes, and some re-created scenes. I'm always a little suspicious of 'lost masterpieces', but some of the images presented are wonderful and the nearly complete scenes of the husband following his wife and the chase after the boat are outstanding. By coincidence I watched Chabrol's version of film, made using Clouzot's script, only a month and half ago so that added interest and they I'd suggest that you watch them as a double bill.

Clue

Was planning on watching series seven of Bakeoff, but Amazon seem to have lost the rights to that, so clicked this as I'd added it to my playlist some time ago. Hugely enjoyable nonsense. Definite shades of Sir Humphrey with Lynn's dialogue for Wadsworth. I really need to watch everything Tim Curry has ever done.

East of Eden, possibly the greatest of the James Dean films.

Want to read the book now, as apparently the film only focuses on the last half of the novel. Also, Sookie Stackhouse's Gramma is in the movie.

East of Eden, possibly the greatest of the James Dean films.

Want to read the book now, as apparently the film only focuses on the last half of the novel. Also, Sookie Stackhouse's Gramma is in the movie.
I was always frustrated that the film only covers the second half of the novel because it reduces the novel's best character to a minor role. Beautiful but rotten-to-the-core Cathy Trask/Kate Ames is one of the great literary villains but you wouldn't know it from the film. There was a mini-series from the early 80s which covers the entire novel with Jane Seymour as Cathy/Kate. I haven't seen it since then and of it didn't have the production values of the film but at the time I thought it was very good and it got me to read the novel.

Last edited:
The Legend of the Stardust Brothers - What you get if you take a pop musical combine it with a live action cartoon and throw in some badly done Buster Keaton-esque visual gags. It is very very silly but rather fun. The "plot" is about two singers finding fame and there is some of satire of pop music but really is it just an excuse for silly gags, which combined with the frantic energy keep it going. It's probably a little too long, I felt it drag in the middle but after a long, long day of zoom meetings it was just what I needed.

Trumbo.

The less successful sequel to Dumbo.

Not really - it's the story of blacklist hero Dalton Trumbo, who was an all-American boy, though he wouldn't have thanked you for it. The vim and vigour of Trumbo's resistance to, and triumph over, the McCarthyite blacklist is a story well told - this one was a lot better than the liberal pabulum I expected.

Watched the first 3 episodes of Mare of Easttown. It's very watchable but so far it's nothing I haven't seen many times before when it comes to small town murder mysteries, especially the cranky, middle aged female detective who is rude to everybody and who is still working through a trauma in her past. The blue collar vibe is little overdone, like Winslet constantly tearing into fast food and the hotheaded toxic masculinity on display. Will read dedicated thread once I've watched it all, at least it's a short series but so far I'm not seeing why it got rave reviews.

Manon des Sources

"Jean de Florette 2: Electric Boogaloo"

The scenes of Emanuelle Beart in the rain caused Mrs. Idris to remark "any excuse for a wet t-shirt". The French tourist board must have been over the moon with the scenery in this one.

Manon des Sources

"Jean de Florette 2: Electric Boogaloo"

The scenes of Emanuelle Beart in the rain caused Mrs. Idris to remark "any excuse for a wet t-shirt". The French tourist board must have been over the moon with the scenery in this one.
I missed out on Jean de Florette at the time, it was the big mainstream art house hit back then. I decided to watch it a few weeks ago, there was a new restoration around. Absolutely hated it, a film with no nuance or subtlety, everything is signposted and underlined. You know where this is going from the start, cinema de papa at its most boring. Never made it to the sequel and yes, the films biggest impact was on the tourism industry.

I missed out on Jean de Florette at the time, it was the big mainstream art house hit back then. I decided to watch it a few weeks ago, there was a new restoration around. Absolutely hated it, a film with no nuance or subtlety, everything is signposted and underlined and you know where this is going from the start, cinema de papa at its most boring. Never made it to the sequel and yes, the films biggest impact was on the tourism industry.
It reminded us of The Field - Richard Harris as an Irish farming patriarch who won't let a "yank" take "his" field (that's peasant communities for you). Your mileage varies, of course, but I'd say J de F is a masterpiece of subtlety compared to the work of Irish hack Jim Sheridan in the Field.

Of the two, though, M de S is far the better film. Mlle Beart doesn't get many speaking lines, but her role as avenging angel is a damn good one.

Back
Top Bottom