Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

What DVD / Video did you watch last night? (pt3)

The Hand from 1981. This as the second film Oliver Stone directed, a studio horror film after making a low budget horror movie called Seizure. It's starring Michael Caine as a comic book artist who, after loosing his hand in a car accident, comes to suspect that his hand has taken on a life of it's own. I never liked Stone as a filmmaker but at least this is pre-VERY IMPORTANT SUBJECT MATTER. It's not a good film by any means, but it's very entertaining.
The first horror film I’ve ever seen (secretly, while my parents were asleep). I was maybe 11 and it scared the shit out of me. Daren’t revisit it!

Is that a remake? I just recall seeing an old black and white film with what sounds like the same plot...
It has a similarities to The Beast With Five Fingers but The Hand was adapted from the horror novel The Lizard's Tail and it has an (easy to guess) plot twist which makes it different from the earlier film. Much of the human drama is about a marriage falling apart, a popular theme at the time, so it's Kramer vs Kramer with a killer hand. Here the wife finds herself via yoga and runs off with the excessively blow dried (but hot-bodied and spiritually enlightened) yoga teacher. Talking of hair, the frizzy bob Michael Caine favoured at the time, doesn't do him any favours either.

I've been catching up with or re-watching a few late 70s, early 80s big budget monster movies recently, the studios were churning them out at the time. For every Alien or An American Werewolf in London there was a less successful Prophecy (mutant killer bear), Nightwing (killer bats) or Wolfen (mystical killer wolves). Most are quite talky with not enough monster action, while hitting you over the head with a message about the ecology and/or native Americans (at one with nature !), which The Hand at least didn't. Even when they are bad, they still have a look and atmosphere which I quite like for nostalgic reasons.

Last edited:
Greener Grass. Follows Jill and her family, friends and neighbours in their community where keeping up with the Jones's is practiced to psychotic levels. I felt sorry for Jill but conflicted as to whether I should. It's amazing though and very funny. I loved it.

The Stepford Wives...the 1975 original. I haven't seen it since last 80s and it wasn't as I remembered but at the same time loads of it was very familiar. Probably because I've seen Get Out.

The Stepford Wives...the 1975 original. I haven't seen it since last 80s and it wasn't as I remembered but at the same time loads of it was very familiar. Probably because I've seen Get Out.
...or Rosemary's Baby. Ira Levin basically recycled the plot of his horror classic and gave it a science fiction spin. When it comes to the films, the first is a masterpiece, the second looks like a TV movie. Campy fun, but no classic, it's still better than the sequels (The Stepford Children !) or the awful remake.

William Goldman, who wrote the screenplay, described how director Bryan Forbes basically ruined the concept by insisting on casting his wife Nanette Newman as one of the robo-wifes, who was too old for the role. In the original screenplay they get turned into Playboy sex bunnies, but in the film they now wear chaste maxi-dresses, which doesnt work considering it was supposed to be a satire of misogyny and sexism.

Last edited:
30 Miles from Nowhere. A horror-comedy about a group of Ex college friends who get together for the funeral of a stranger former friend who’s killed himself. They all meet in a cabin er, 30 miles from anywhere, and things start to happen.

The formula might be less than original, but still I found it a good and watchable flick as that genre goes.

Isn't it Romantic - Rebel Wilson film. Interesting take on the rom com formula but not one I would recommend anyone rushes to watch.

Went the day well

A classic propaganda film from 1942. As is often the case, I found all the background stuff interesting. Seeing how people lived and the way society worked, accepting of course that it's all stylised for the film

Went the day well

A classic propaganda film from 1942. As is often the case, I found all the background stuff interesting. Seeing how people lived and the way society worked, accepting of course that it's all stylised for the film
I like that it's the local bigwig who turns out to be the traitor. And there's a young Thora Hird to boot!

The Straight Story, David Lynch. Hard up old man travels across several US states on his lawnmower in order to see his brother, sharing stories with troubled / carefree / kind/ traumatised people he meets on the way.

Harry Dean Stanton opens the door. Some beautiful scenes along the way.

American Gangster, historical crime bio with Denzel Washington as the former driver and heir to Harlem kingpin Bumpy Johnson (Forrest Whittaker plays Bumpy in the series 'Godfather of Harlem', worth a watch). It outstayed its welcome at two and a half hours but otherwise good. Russel Crowe is the copper nemesis, eh, so-so.

MUBI's season of four 'lesser' Francis Ford Coppola films

One from the Heart - as a tribute to the musical by one of the 70s key directors I can't help comparing this to New York, New York though the films are not really that similar in lots of ways. The ambition and visuals of OftH genuinely do hit, and it is certainly not as bad as some have said but while playing with the genre New York, New York had a level of characterisation and story that is missing from this. An interesting film and one worth watching if you like cinema.

The Outsiders - You can see what Coppola is trying to do, like with OftH an attempt to play with and embrace a genre. But the result is just pretty rubbish, the performances are pretty mixed, and the characterisation is thread bare. Both New York, New York and even One from the Heart that you can still build characterisation within a twist on genre this just does not have it.

Youth Without Youth - Coppola's first film from the 21st Century and passion piece from him, and that partly the problem. This is a film that needed a strong producer and/or editor, someone to tell Coppola to cut this, extend that, simplify this, etc. In addition, the "philosophy" of the film is sub-6th form trite naffness. Despite that it is by no means a terrible film. Tim Roth delivers an excellent performance and it has some nice scenes. It won't be one the films Coppola is remembered for but it's ok.

Tetro - OK so this looks absolutely wonderful, gorgeous B&W shots of Buenos Aires. It is almost worth watching it for its look alone. I really don't like Vincent Gallo but to be fair the excesses are just about kept in rein here and the rest of the cast are good. At 127 minutes it is too long and could easily lose 20-30 minutes and be much better for it. But while you always know where things are going (by design not accident) the journey is pretty good.

Overall an interesting season of flawed films that nevertheless have something.

Last edited:
MUBI's season of four 'lesser' Francis Ford Coppola films

One from the Heart - as a tribute to the musical by one of the 70s key directors I can't help comparing this to New York, New York though the films are.not really that similar I'm lots of ways. The ambition and visuals of OftH are genuinely do hit, and it is certainly not as bad as some have said but while playing with the genre New York, New York had a level of characterisation and sore that is missing from this. An interesting film and one worth watching if you like film.

The Outsiders - You can see what Coppola is trying to do, like with OftH an attempt to play with and embrace a genre. But the result is just pretty rubbish, the performances are pretty mixed, and the characterisation is thread bare. Both New York, New York and even One from the Heart that you can still build characterisation within a twist on genre this just does not have it.

Youth Without Youth - Coppola's first film from the 21st Century and passion piece from him, and that partly the problem. This is a film that needed a strong producer and/or editor, someone to tell Coppola to cut this, extend that, simplify this, etc. In addition, the "philosophy" of the film is sub-6th form trite naffness. Despite that it is by no means a terrible film. Tim Roth delivers an excellent performance and it has some nice scenes. It won't be one the films Coppola is remembered for but it's ok.

Tetro - OK so this looks absolutely wonderful, gorgeous B&W shots of Buenos Aires. It is almost worth watching it for its look alone. I really don't like Vincent Gallo but to be fair the excesses are just about kept in rein here and the rest of the cast are good. At 127 minutes it is too long and could easily lose 20-30 minutes and be much better for it.

Overall an interesting season of flawed films that nevertheless have something.
I love the soundtrack to One from the Heart and whilst the film itself doesn’t live up to its promise it’s got its moments and the premise is good .

Un Amour Impossible (An Impossible Love) - long, arty, sort of mystifying French misery-family-drama about the sheer weight of wreckage one sociopathic rich man can wreak over the decades if he finds enough female victims to torment. Not a serial-killer-thriller but deeply disturbing in many ways. Sustained by a fantastic central performance from Virginie Efira who's got an amazing, period-perfect face for the role and the acting chops to cover more than 40 years' of ageing and a slightly mystifying script. She endures and survives and tolerates a lot she shouldn't - which is of course the film's point about France and every other country and all of us everywhere.

Lots of things to say about French machismo, class and race prejudice; is pretty feminist; looks great. Probably won't change the world, but is a worthwhile use of a few hours for sure. Trigger warning for those with experience of domestic, psychological or sexual abuse.

Last edited:
Six films that formed the Melbourne Cinematheque's Barbara Stanwyck season

Double Indemnity - The classic, with Stanwyck and Fred McMurry smouldering over each other and trying to get rich my removing her husband, while having to beat Edward G Robinson. Seen it before but I think I liked it even more this time around than the first.

The Strange Love of Martha Ivers - One of Kirk Douglas' first roles as Stanwyk's weak husband. A quite strange but very good film, really quite modern in some respects. All four of the main characters are deeply flawed and all, at least partially, sympathetic. Stanwyck's Martha is both cold and calculating while also intelligent, and a victim.

Night Nurse - Wow, really quite amazingly gritty and brutal. It is stark just how much the code changed Hollywood, you have children being killed for money, drug users, attempted rape, Clark Gable beating up women, and plenty of excuses for nurses to change clothes regularly. It's not in anything like the class of the previous two films but this is Wirth checking out because it is not just surprising but also shows the changes in cinema.

Meet John Doe - Another one of Frank Capra's portraits of America - on the media, populism and individualism. For me it is not in the class of his best. Perhaps because I'm not a huge Gary Cooper fan. Also I do not think the writing is quite top notch. Stanwyck is good (playing a similar role to Jean Arthur in Mr Deeds Goes to Town) but there is a hell of a lot of exposition.

The Lady Eve - Stanwyck is the gold digging card sharp out to take Henry Fonda for all he's worth only to fall in love with him, then have him dump her when he finds out what she is. But she has the last laugh playing him for a sucker. Screwball comedy from Preston Sturges. Some nice turns from Charles Coburn as Stanwyck's father.

Stella Davies - Rather good melodrama, with Stanwyck as the woman marrying above her and determined to make a better life for her daughter. It could be terribly trite but the quality of the script, direction and Stanwyck's acting give a heft despite the most obvious elements. One minor complaint is Anna Shirley as the daughter, ok is is a pretty thankless role but she is just too saccharine in it.

The Hot Spot - Neo-noir directed by Dennis Hopper. Mid-quality, entertaining enough but pretty forgettable. Jennifer Connelly gives a good performance.

Clan of the White Lotus - Shaw Brothers film, you can kind of guess what to expect. It is ok but probably only worth checking out if you a particular fan of the genre. There’s a good amount of better films to check out first.

A Fistful of Dynamite - One of those films that you love, despite or actually because of its flaws. It is not the same quality as Leone’s other films but to me it just has an incredible charm. And great to see Bakunin referenced.

El Dorado - Howard Hawks first re-make of Rio Bravo, not as good as the original but it does have Robert Mitchum, and a young James Caan. Even though it is not quite as sharp as Rio Bravo it is still a good western.

City of Fear - Passable noir with an escaped convict endangering a city by mistakenly taking a radioactive sample. OK but plenty of better stuff out there, like …

Slightly Scarlet - technicolour noir, not in the 1st division but a strong mid-weight entry in the genre. John Payne (who starred in the excellent Kansas City Confidential) plays the make lead while Rhonda Fleming looks great.

52 Pick Up - Another yuppie revenge movie, despite a pretty decent cast (Roy Schneider, Kelly Preston) it is in the third division of a genre that is not know for its great quality. The only thing really worth while in it is the ludicrous, over the top performance of sociopathy by John Glover

The Two Jakes - Sequel to Chinatown, I’ve seen this before but it was a long time ago. Of course it was never as good as Chinatown but I have to say that I think this even more disappointing than I remembered. It feels like there are some semi-decent scenes trying to get out but the overall movie needs a good editor/director, as indicated by the exposition heavy narration which is clearly added because the plot is not told well enough. Polanski’s actions were appalling but you can’t but wish that her and Towne had been able to work on this rather than Nicholson.

Alfie - First time I’ve ever seen this, main problem I have with it is that I’m just not a Michael Caine fan, and considering this film is so built around him it I just could not properly connect with it. Even so I can see the that the film does have something.

The Hot Spot - Neo-noir directed by Dennis Hopper. Mid-quality, entertaining enough but pretty forgettable. Jennifer Connelly gives a good performance.

Clan of the White Lotus - Shaw Brothers film, you can kind of guess what to expect. It is ok but probably only worth checking out if you a particular fan of the genre. There’s a good amount of better films to check out first.

A Fistful of Dynamite - One of those films that you love, despite or actually because of its flaws. It is not the same quality as Leone’s other films but to me it just has an incredible charm. And great to see Bakunin referenced.

El Dorado - Howard Hawks first re-make of Rio Bravo, not as good as the original but it does have Robert Mitchum, and a young James Caan. Even though it is not quite as sharp as Rio Bravo it is still a good western.

City of Fear - Passable noir with an escaped convict endangering a city by mistakenly taking a radioactive sample. OK but plenty of better stuff out there, like …

Slightly Scarlet - technicolour noir, not in the 1st division but a strong mid-weight entry in the genre. John Payne (who starred in the excellent Kansas City Confidential) plays the make lead while Rhonda Fleming looks great.

52 Pick Up - Another yuppie revenge movie, despite a pretty decent cast (Roy Schneider, Kelly Preston) it is in the third division of a genre that is not know for its great quality. The only thing really worth while in it is the ludicrous, over the top performance of sociopathy by John Glover

The Two Jakes - Sequel to Chinatown, I’ve seen this before but it was a long time ago. Of course it was never as good as Chinatown but I have to say that I think this even more disappointing than I remembered. It feels like there are some semi-decent scenes trying to get out but the overall movie needs a good editor/director, as indicated by the exposition heavy narration which is clearly added because the plot is not told well enough. Polanski’s actions were appalling but you can’t but wish that her and Towne had been able to work on this rather than Nicholson.

Alfie - First time I’ve ever seen this, main problem I have with it is that I’m just not a Michael Caine fan, and considering this film is so built around him it I just could not properly connect with it. Even so I can see the that the film does have something.
I've just rewatched Chinatown, because it is one of my favourite films and because I just read The Big Goodbye about the making of Chinatown by Sam Wasson, which is fascinating. While Robert Towne always got the credit for having written what is considered to be among the greatest screenplays ever, Polanski basically rewrote it, threw out a gazillion of unnecessary subplots focused the plot on Gittes and added the bleak ending which made it the classic the film is. Wasson writes that The Two Jakes is what Chinatown would have been like if the original Towne screenplay would have been shot the way it was. Anyways, if you read books about film, the book is highly recommended. It also covers the Manson murders in the first part about so much has been written and managed to bring some new insights to it and how it connects to the end of Chinatown.

Last edited:
I've just rewatched Chinatown, because it is one of my favourite films and because I just read The Big Goodbye about the making of Chinatown by Sam Wasson, which is fascinating. While Robert Towne always got the credit for having written what is considered to be among the greatest screenplays ever, Polanski basically rewrote it, threw out a gazillion oft unnecessary subplots and added the bleak ending and made it the classic the film is. Wasson writes that The Two Jakes is what Chinatown would have been like if the original Towne screenplay would have been shot the way it was. Anyways, if you read books about film, the book is highly recommended. It also covers the Manson murders kn the first part about so much has been written and managed to bring some new insights to it and how it connects to the end of Chinatown.
Ah, never knew that but it does make a lot of sense. You can see the line connecting the two movies but Chinatown is just so much sharper, elegant, cleaner.

I'll see if I can get the book from local library. Thanks

I really like A Fistful of Dynamite too --more than some of Leone's more celebrated films I think because of the subject matter. Saying that, the Oirish, Vaseline-lensed (menage a trois?) flashback scenes are a bit weird... :D

Back
Top Bottom