Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

What DVD / Video did you watch last night? (pt3)

Watched zerozerozero over the last few days. Based on a book by the writer of Gomorrah, Roberto Saviano. It's about the global cocaine trade and felt more like the Gomorrah film than the series. Saying that it does go downhill in the second half when the stories behind the individual characters take over. I'm gonna have to read the book because a lot of the back stories in Gomorrah supposedly had some factual reference so I'll be interested to see what it says in this case

Reactions: MBV
The Kid Detective- former local celebrity child sleuth who made his name solving small local crimes is now a 30 something nobody in the same small town occasionally solving even smaller crimes. Then one day a teenager comes to his office to ask if he can solve the mystery of who killed her boyfriend. It's a strange little film about someone who's out of his depth not just in being a detective but with life itself and who actually was out of his depth when it came to him failing to solve the disappearance of a teenager when he was a child sleuth. His investigation, like his life, stumbles along going nowhere until it suddenly veers into something a lot darker. It's a quirky if frustrating tale whose humour could in my opinion been a bit sharper, the plot better written and some scenes rewritten. In short, it promises more than it delivers but the promise is there and that just about nudges it into the flawed but 'actually, I quite enjoyed that' category.

Nomadland

Francis mcdormand.

Give it a go.

I saw it last night in the theater and felt like I was taking a risk, but I enjoyed a night out for once.

It was a little lacking in plot, but overall I liked it. I've been most of the places it was filmed. I even camped at the campsite where they filmed her working as a camp host. It looks like it was filmed mostly in national and state parks (Badlands, Grasslands, Custer State Park, and Toadstool). I might have seen a glimpse of Wind Cave there.) I was familiar with some of the people before I watched the film. Bob Wells is a real person who has a channel of Youtube. It had great cinematography, which showed the beauty of the places, but also provided the mood of the film. It seemed a bit melancholy, almost like it was a mourning for the American Dream.

Last edited:
Minari...this year's Parasite, ie, a Korean film that's been tipped to pick up Oscars.

A Korean family move from California to the Ozarks where dad wants to stop sexing chickens and become a farmer, having not really told his Mrs about his plans. His mother in law moves in and the story revolves around her relationship with the son who has a heart illness....while dad gets on with his farming but neglecting his family. Not much seems to be happening and it's a good watch with plenty of humorous moments involving grandma and the kid who's cute as.

About half an hour before the end I felt like much more had been going on. I think there were cultural things and meaning I hadn't picked up on and things started happening that I hadn't anticipated at all. It left me thinking I'll watch it again. It's really good.

The Swimmer. Burt Lancaster stars as a man who plans to swim cross country through the pools of his neighbours to make his way home.

I've looked at this loads of times and thought it didn't sound like much but I couldn't be more wrong. There's so much going on, it's absolutely brilliant and I'd recommend it to anyone.

I'm watching The Fall and Rise of Reginald Perrin on Youtube. Never seen it before, and enjoying Leonard Rossiter's performance.

Reactions: Chz
Cure.... Japanese film on Mubi by the other Kurosawa. A series of murders with similarities. The obvious suspects in each case are unable to remember anything about what happened. A detective investigates.

This is brilliant. It's exactly the sort of film Hollywood would remake and make a fuck up of. And I learnt that Mesmer was a doctor whose name is the origin of mesmerising/mesmerised.

Videoman...Swedish film on all4 about a man who once had a video shop and who still collects and hires tapes out from his basement. He meets a woman with crimped hair who likes 80s stuff and gets involved in some dodgy stuff when a collector wants to buy an expensive rare tape. It's alright, not amazing.

Inland Empire... David Lynch's last feature length film. It's 3 hours long. After the first hour I was feeling pretty smug, thinking I knew what was going on then it was just a headfuck and I hadn't a clue. On reading up afterwards I was pleased to see that the lead actors didn't know what it was about either. It's kind of like the cut up method done on film. Not really recommended unless your a die hard lynch fan but then you've probably seen it anyway.

First 2 episodes of The Singing Detective.

I was never allowed to watch it when it was on telly because a) I was too young, b) it was bath night and c) my dad probably wanted to watch semi naked women on telly on his own..

It's fucking great.
Were there that many semi-naked women in TSD? I think that was more the case in Lipstick on Your Collar.

Inland Empire... David Lynch's last feature length film. It's 3 hours long. After the first hour I was feeling pretty smug, thinking I knew what was going on then it was just a headfuck and I hadn't a clue. On reading up afterwards I was pleased to see that the lead actors didn't know what it was about either. It's kind of like the cut up method done on film. Not really recommended unless your a die hard lynch fan but then you've probably seen it anyway.
I like lynch, but inland empire is a pile of shit. Could have been something, but he got carried away with how digital film cost sod all (going by the dvd extras) and decided long and tedious had some mesmerising artistic merit. The digital film looks shite too. It has such a promising start, and had he been forced to edit it down I think it might have been something quite interesting. Such a shame.
I'd be curious as to what his thoughts on it are now that he is a few years removed from it.

Were there that many semi-naked women in TSD? I think that was more the case in Lipstick on Your Collar.

I've forgotten already, tbh I completely lost interest by the last episode. But there was shagging in it where the young lad sees his mum in the woods with a fella other than his dad.

Atelier De Conversation
Fascinating doc about a weekly meeting in the library of the Pompidou Centre in Paris, in which learners practice their conversational French. It's mostly just head shots of the people from all over the world talking and listening to each other. Such a simple format, yet they talk about quite deep subjects in their faltering French. The speakers' hesitancy in carefully choosing their words make their discussions respectful and with no rancour, even though there are clashing cultural values and different opinons on such things as sexism, racism etc. Recommended. 4 stacked Eames chairs out of 5

Chuck Norris Versus Communism
Drama-documentary about how hastily dubbed and badly duplicated Western action films of the 80s were distributed amongst Romanians in the last years of the Caecescu's reign. Doesn't quite work with the reconstructions of crowded apartments of people watching these films on small televisions and the one female interpreter who dubbed all of the voices in all of the films, but it was a diveerting insight into how cloistered from reality Romania was in its communist years. 3 melon farmers out of 5

Kajillionaire
I wanted to hate this as it's a Miranda July film and she can be maddeningly twee. Less said about the plot the better but the four main leads - Evan Rachel Wood, Debra Winger, Richard Jenkins and Gina Rodriguez - are all excellent and the strange story of a family of grifting thieves is hardly plausible but feels real due to the convincing performances. 3 leaking suds of pink bubbles out of 5

The Mole Agent
Fake Chilean documentary about an 83 year old sent by a detective agency to spy on the goings on of a nursing home. The client suspects that abuse may be happening to a relative who is staying there. The gentlemen in question is gallant, conscientious and rather dapper, so the resident women all fall for him. It all kind of fizzles out and all of the scenes are quite obviously staged, so it's hard to fathom the reason the film was made in the first place. 2 horny seniors out of 5

Shirley
Elisabeth Moss and Michael Schulberg are eminently watchable but the film is a right old mess and the plot device of the younger couple visiting doesn't make it any more interesting
2 barbed drunken comments out of 5

Collectiv...This was in a few of the top films of last year lists and not surprisingly. An amazing documentary about the aftermath of a nightclub fire that revealed widespread corruption in the Romanian health service. A must see.

The Sister Brothers (Netflix).

Never been a John C Reilly fan but he stole the show. Enjoyed the peculiar atmosphere of the film.

Really been getting into Westerns lately...

Back
Top Bottom