Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

What DVD / Video did you watch last night? (pt3)

Hotel Artemis - a near-future sci-fi where LA is beset by massive riots, and there’s an underground hospital for criminals. Apparently it had that Sigourney Weaver of off Alien in it, but the plot grabbed so little of my attention that I didn’t really know what was going on. There are a few fights and something about her son on a beach. If I had rented it from the cheapest shelf in the video store for a slightly intoxicated night in with friends I’d have been disappointed.

Hotel Artemis - a near-future sci-fi where LA is beset by massive riots, and there’s an underground hospital for criminals. Apparently it had that Sigourney Weaver of off Alien in it, but the plot grabbed so little of my attention that I didn’t really know what was going on. There are a few fights and something about her son on a beach. If I had rented it from the cheapest shelf in the video store for a slightly intoxicated night in with friends I’d have been disappointed.
It didn’t have Weaver in it. Jodie Foster was the star but it was quite star studded for such a comparatively low budget films

this was some higher level documentary film making - or was it

its like bukwoski / barfly, but realer - if that appeals at all you should really watch it, ive not seen anything quite like it
worth reading about it, but only after watching
lots of amazing intimate footage
a torrent exists
I watched this the other night and loved it, but yeah don't read the reviews before you see it.
Someone mentioned "Last Night At The Alamo" (1983) was similar, although a drama, so gave that a watch and it's great too.

Please Turn Over - 1959 British comedy, with a young woman writing a risqué novel "revealing life in suburbia", only some of the characters in the novel are mistaken for members of her family, hi-kinks ensue. It's actually not a bad 90 minutes, little too long in parts and it's hardly a masterpiece of comedy but good Sunday afternoon viewing.

Itty Bitty Titty Committee - Directed by Jamie Babbit it is kind of a follow up/partner piece to her But I'm a Cheerleader. Anna is drifting along in her job/life until she gets involved with a feminist activist group. Personal and political conflicts cause problems in the group. Lots of references to riot grrrl groups (although as it was made and set in 2007 these seem slightly out of time). Like BIAC it has a definite charm.

Mad Dog Morgan - 1976 ozploitation pic version of a Ned Kelly type story with Dennis Hopper in flow blown scenery managing move. Never really been a Hopper fan, for me his antics just bore after a while. Thankfully the film is just short enough that that is not too much a problem in this case. And there are some nice appearances from Australian actors - Jack Thompson, David Guptill, Bill Hunter

The Belles of St Trinian's - First in the series, Alistair Sim steals the show in the double roles, with George Cole and Joyce Grenfell providing support.

The Holly and the Ivy - Similar to It Always Rains on a Sunday and Pool of London this is one of those films from the 50s that shows that the decade was not as conservative (at least in terms of films) as some would have it. The aftereffects of the war are still felt and viewed with a sympathy and compassion. Also has the advantage of having an appearance by a very young Denholm Elliott

Uncle Peckerhead...punk band goes on their first tour with man eating demon roadie. As ridiculous as it sounds but surprisingly watchable.

Possessor

Brandon Cronenberg continues to follow in his fathers footsteps with this distinctly bizarre killer for hire story starring Andrea Riseborough - who continues to dazzle and look completely different again with each role she takes.

Bloody as hell, brilliant opening scene and an erect penis! Well worth it if you don’t mind this first and last things on that list.

Death Weekend - Rubbish Canadian Straw Dogs-esque flick, with an arsehole dentist taking a model to his country house and earning the enmity of some local hoods, but without any of the power, characterisation or anything else that makes Straw Dogs worth watching for all its faults. The female character is the only person in this whole show you care about and Brenda Vaccaro raises above the dreadful script, plot and acting from much of the cast but still cannot save this. Avoid.

Fantastic Mr Fox - Wes Anderson's stop motion. Not totally convinced, its sort of a cross of Anderson's world with the original book and I do not think the two mesh well, it feels rather like a sub-par Anderson film. There are some very nice jokes in it but overall somewhat disappointing.

Harakiri - Wow, flipping amazing. A wandering ronin turns up at the gates of a samurai compound and asks permission to commit Hara Kiri there, the ronin and counsellor of the clan trade stories and seek to out manoeuvre each other. Great in all ways, tense, clever, well acted, looks amazing. A truly great film

Enormous - French "comedy", appalling unfunny and pretty appalling in every way. Claire is a concert pianist who's husband Fred (also her agent/manger) decides he wants a kid and screws with her birth control to get her pregnant. There are then a series of "jokes" based on a reversal of traditional gender roles. Absolute and total crap, about as funny as a hole in the head and with characters that you wish would die painfully. Fred is just a grade A cunt and Claire is just annoying. Do not watch.

Enormous - French "comedy", appalling unfunny and pretty appalling in every way. Claire is a concert pianist who's husband Fred (also her agent/manger) decides he wants a kid and screws with her birth control to get her pregnant. There are then a series of "jokes" based on a reversal of traditional gender roles. Absolute and total crap, about as funny as a hole in the head and with characters that you wish would die painfully. Fred is just a grade A cunt and Claire is just annoying. Do not watch.
I decided against watching that -- sounds like I dodged a bullet. (Despite having lived in France, I often struggle with French 'comedy'.)

I decided against watching that -- sounds like I dodged a bullet. (Despite having lived in France, I often struggle with French 'comedy'.)
You definitely made a good decision. It's been a while since I've seen a film I hated as much as this one.

Reactions: Sue
On a much better note I forgot to mention

The Devil and Miss Jones - screwball comedy, with Jean Arthur as a labour organiser in a department store who meets, and converts, the owner of the store (and richest man in the world). Arthur is wonderful and Charles Coburn plays his part as the capitalist well. Quite amazing how pro-union it is, especially interesting seeing it after reading Thomas Frank's The People, No! it encapsulates the New Deal populism mentioned.

Reactions: Sue
First 2 episodes of The Singing Detective.

I was never allowed to watch it when it was on telly because a) I was too young, b) it was bath night and c) my dad probably wanted to watch semi naked women on telly on his own..

It's fucking great.

Just watched Singin in the Rain for the first time. What a pure joy. I absolutely loved it - the singing, the dancing, the sets, the clothes, the four leads were wonderful.
It really made me laugh too.

One of the extremely rare 10/10 films

Last edited:
My Man Godfrey - great screwball comedy with William Powell and Carole Lombard playing off each other brilliantly. I love 30s/40s screwball comedies, they have to be some of the greatest films ever made. When was the last time anyone tried to re-capture this style of film successfully, Bogdanovoch's What's Up Doc?

World for Ransom
- Early Robert Aldrich film noir, not in the first league of noir films, such as Aldrich's truly great Kiss Me Deadly but you can see the genesis of that film in this one. It's tight, cynical and well made, even if utterly implausible (if if was this easy to kidnap nuclear scientists, the world would have blown up some time ago). An enjoyable diversion.

The Silent Partner - I cannot believe that this film does not get more attention. It's a very good Canadian crime thriller starring Elliot Gould, Christopher Plummer and Susannah York. Gould is a bank teller who works out that Piummer is mounting a robbery of his bank and uses it to take the money himself. There is then a very nice psychological contest between the two. Gould is good, the cold strategist under the mild manner while Plummer does sadistic very well. The film loses its way a bit in the last 30 minutes and York's character is a bit of a drag, I'd rather have had more time given to Celine Lomez's femme fatale, but definitely one worth checking out. Also has an appearance from a very young John Candy.

Death Weekend - Rubbish Canadian Straw Dogs-esque flick, with an arsehole dentist taking a model to his country house and earning the enmity of some local hoods, but without any of the power, characterisation or anything else that makes Straw Dogs worth watching for all its faults. The female character is the only person in this whole show you care about and Brenda Vaccaro raises above the dreadful script, plot and acting from much of the cast but still cannot save this. Avoid.

Fantastic Mr Fox - Wes Anderson's stop motion. Not totally convinced, its sort of a cross of Anderson's world with the original book and I do not think the two mesh well, it feels rather like a sub-par Anderson film. There are some very nice jokes in it but overall somewhat disappointing.

Harakiri - Wow, flipping amazing. A wandering ronin turns up at the gates of a samurai compound and asks permission to commit Hara Kiri there, the ronin and counsellor of the clan trade stories and seek to out manoeuvre each other. Great in all ways, tense, clever, well acted, looks amazing. A truly great film
Re: the Mr. Fox movie. When it came out one of my brother's friends who has kids told me that he took the kids to see it, and the audience was full of similar parent/kid parties. . . and all the parents laughed fulsomely, but the kids didn't laugh once.

You see the problem.

Back
Top Bottom