Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

What DVD / Video did you watch last night? (pt3)

It it was perfectly alright in my opinion too. Certainly as good as you can expect a romcom Xmas film to be. This is one of those cases in which the professional critics are being biase, snob and/ or prejudiced twerps, and laughably disconnected from the public.
I bet you like Love Actually too.... :(

Give me a break.

Rotten Tomatoes approval ratings for selected British romcoms:

Last Christmas: 47%
Notting Hill: 83%
Bend it like Beckham: 85% (!)

I’m not going to get into a discussion about which of those three is the best. But nobody needs to be a professional critic to tell you that there’s no fucking way in a million years that if Last Christmas deserves a 47% approval rating, the ultra chliched, predictable piece of fucking shit that was Bend it like Beckham could possibly deserve an 85% rating.

I realise in most cases it would not have been the same critics reviewing both films, but as a trade consensus in general, the disparity is fucking absurd and in my view unexplainable.

If however you disagree and have seen both those films, I’d be interested in your informed opinion on why both films are deserving of their massively differing consensus ratings.

Last edited:
They’re paid to say what they think not what others might think.
And yet, some of their ratings are inexplicable. See my post above
I bet you like Love Actually too.... :(
I thought it was cheesy as fuck, but no different to Last Christmas. At least that has a less enthusiastic 64% Rotten Tomatoes rating. But I challenge you, Orang Utan and anyone else to tell me the Bend it like Fucking Beckham is deserving of a RT 87% rating.

Rewatch of Australian grimfest The Rover.

I didn't know what to make of it when I saw it five years ago. I've only ever seen Robert Pattinson in films after Twilight so judge him on those than that franchise, but I'm aware he still gets knee-jerk stick because of it, ignorantly stating he can't act when he can. Here, he plays a naive criminal simpleton, mumbling his way through a near future Oz that, like the rest of the world, has crumbled following a global economic depression, the Outback now a lawless shithole thinly patrolled by the army, which seems to be the only presence of what's left of the government in far away cities. Love the Khmer karaoke song Otdar Meanchey blaring out in the ramshackle diner at the start. Will watch again.

Never Rarely Sometimes Always - eye-opening, thought-provoking, great. Strange to see such a low rating attached to it on Now Cinema. :confused:

Rotten Tomatoes approval ratings for selected British romcoms:

Last Christmas: 47%
Notting Hill: 83%
Bend it like Beckham: 85% (!)

I’m not going to get into a discussion about which of those three is the best. But nobody needs to be a professional critic to tell you that there’s no fucking way in a million years that if Last Christmas deserves a 47% approval rating, the ultra chliched, predictable piece of fucking shit that was Bend it like Beckham could possibly deserve an 85% rating.

I realise in most cases it would not have been the same critics reviewing both films, but as a trade consensus in general, the disparity is fucking absurd and in my view unexplainable.

If however you disagree and have seen both those films, I’d be interested in your informed opinion on why both films are deserving of their massively differing consensus ratings.

Ignore the Last Christmas RT critics score - the audience score of 81% is correct :oldthumbsup:

And yet, some of their ratings are inexplicable. See my post above

I thought it was cheesy as fuck, but no different to Last Christmas. At least that has a less enthusiastic 64% Rotten Tomatoes rating. But I challenge you, Orang Utan and anyone else to tell me the Bend it like Fucking Beckham is deserving of a RT 87% rating.
I don’t really care what Rotten Tomatoes think of it.

I don’t really care what Rotten Tomatoes think of it.
Hold on a second. Rotten Tomatoes aggregate ratings are formed entirely of established film critics’ reviews (as opposed to Joe Public). A few posts up you appeared to be defending their objectivity when I highlighted their apparent discrepancies. Now you say you don’t care about what they think. Which one is it?

Hold on a second. Rotten Tomatoes aggregate ratings are formed entirely of established film critics’ reviews (as opposed to Joe Public). A few posts up you appeared to be defending their objectivity when I highlighted their apparent discrepancies. Now you say you don’t care about what they think. Which one is it?
I don’t rate totting up average ratings as a guide for judging if a film’s worth watching. Using stats to judge art. I know certain writers tastes and views and I like to read their opinions (usually) after I’ve watched a film, but I’m more guided by who made the film and what people I know say about films (that includes posters on this site).

RT are not formed entirely of established film critics. Only their section of Top Critics is actual film critics, that means those employed by respected online and print publications, who get paid for that they do. Many of the rest are fans who set up their own sites and play at being film critics and amateurs who write reviews unpaid for small local publications. The RT aggregator also often can't distinguish between what a good, mediocre and a bad review is. I don't have the problem that the critics on RT are too harsh, I find them too positive and frequently have fallen on my face when checking out something because it has good ratings there. Metacritic is a little better and only admits reviews by actual film critics and it differentiates between reviews. In the end it's always far better to find critics you like and actually read their reviews. I certainly would never rely on audience ratings to pick something. Why would I trust a large number of people who vote Boris Johnson and Trump into office, when it comes to my cultural tastes ?

It's fine occasionally enjoying rubbish films and tv, we all do. Just don't decry all of those as "snobs" who don't meet your low standards, because they have seen enough good work to have no patience with lazy cliches. Mind, I don't need to read reviews to see that Last Christmas is cack, Marty1 came here to sing its praises, so nuff said. :p

Last edited:
Eight Woman - Rewatching this made me realise its been ~18 years since I saw it at the cinema. I actually enjoyed it more now than I did then, it is still very flawed, the musical numbers just do not seem to fit in with the story, and it does not really make that great a use of the top notch cast it has. But it was light, frothy and enjoyable and after a shitty week that was kind of what I wanted.

You, the Living - again I've seen this before but it stands up a second watch. The care and attention Andersson must put into each scene is really quick breathtaking. Finding truly great comic films is difficult but this probably is one.

today I have watched 2x filums

The Jokers- 1967 crime caper with Oliver reed & Michael crawford. of its time. good fun. have not seen it since I was a kid

Arkansas- 2020 drug crime thriller with a few names. I enjoyed it, despite critics giving it a meh review. A modern day western effectively with a decent flaming lips soundtrack.

Boogie nights, a real favourite with great soundtrack, look, cast, style, script acting... and fun to watch as well

Love and Friendship. A most entertaining period comedy with Kate Beckinsale as a refreshingly upfront schemer determined to make the most out of her life.

I’m currently watching Falling Down. Michael Douglas and Robert Duvall. Hilarious, like a feature-length Grumpy Old Men rant, with added retribution.

Season 1 finale of Succession.

Forget The Crown. If you want dysfunctional monsters and Dynasty style family bickering, this is the show to watch. Actually, more like Oz ... everyone you think a character will do the right thing, someone gets stabbed in the back.

Compelling Trump family meets Murdoch family meets Royal family drama from the writer of... Peep Show! Great cast, too. Brian Cox, Sarah Snook, Matthew McFadden and Cameron from Ferris Bueller...

His House. Very well made and affecting spooky story about people seeking asylum who are haunted (literally) by their trauma. Recommended to me by my 12yo, and very well worth it. Although he had to talk me through the scary bits cos I'm a wuss :facepalm:

Save Yourselves. A satirical deadpan comedy-sci-fi about a New York full-on hipster couple with a serious social media and internet addiction that for once decide to have a week’s holiday in a cabin in the woods completely offline, and happen to do so on the weekend when an alien invasion begin.

It is surprisingly entertaining and funny and very watchable :)

Last edited:
Death of a Vlogger. A Scottish supernatural horror found footage film. While nowhere near as scary as other found footage films, it’s still pretty good and watchable.

Freaky, which is short for Freaky Friday the 13th as this horror comedy blends the Disney body-swap comedy Freaky Friday with a Friday the 13th type slasher. Jason-style killer swaps bodies with a shy teenage victim after he attacks her with a magical dagger. The hulking slasher is played by Vince Vaughn, who then gets to play a teenage girl stuck in his body for most of the film. Initially I was put off by the US teen-stereotypes, but I suppose the point is to jam two opposing teenage genres together. The film wallows in cliches, only to eventually neatly subvert several of them. I ended up really enjoying it, it blends comedy with some surprisingly gory kills and has its heart in the right place. By Christopher Landon who also made the fun Happy Death Day and its sequel, which was Friday the 13th meets Groundhog Day and who has carved out his niche with meta-slasher comedies.

Dracula's Daughter from 1936, the sequel to the original Universal Dracula with Bela Lugosi. Never seen it but I was always aware that it has developed a cult following due to its queer subtext. Apart from some ill fitting comedy relief, this is pretty good thanks to Gloria Holden's performance, who wants to be rid of the curse of being a vampire and consults a psychiatrist. One of the best of the original Universal monster movies, I prefer this to the Lugosi Dracula.

The first episode of The Reagans, US docu-series about the gruesome twosome.

More of The Reagans, which isn't great for my blood pressure. Good series which doesn't let Reagan and his equally ghastly wife off the hook. A reminder that no matter how awful Trump was, the Reagan administration did way more damage and politically and economically it got us to where we are now.

Last edited:
Dirty God, on the Beeb last night, about a woman disfigured in an acid attack. The structure and the style made me think a bit of Morvern Callar. Powerful film that makes you think about stuff that you'd probably rather not.

Watched American Animals on Tuesday morning. Excellent film about bored teenagers attempting a heist without really knowing what they were doing it letting themselves in for. Stylishly directed and well-acted, and interestingly the REAL teenagers involved are in it, giving their insights alongside the actors portraying the events. Really liked it despite only JUST deciding to watch it. Give it a go.

Seconded.

True story/heist movie/unreliable narrator... the mix makes an excellent and unusual tale. Evan Peters great as usual.

Your Honor - Bryan Cranston plays a judge whose son commits a crime. Seems like he might have been cast for the BB aspect. I found the actions of most people in the first episode rather implausible, so I am not sure how much of foundation it will be as everything plays out.

Back
Top Bottom