Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

What DVD / Video did you watch last night? (pt3)

Free Fire is another film with lots of shooting in warehouses, except everyone is shit at shooting. Eventually, everyone shoots each other, but there's a lot of missing and excellent ricocheting noises. If John Wick had been one of the gang members, it would have only lasted five minutes. Disappointing on the whole. Ben Wheatley directed it, but it suffers from lack of plot just as High Rise and his other films tend to.

Also watched this last night and pretty much agree with you, pretty much an hour of the film is just people shooting at each other with the odd attempting to be funny line. 5/10

A surprising productive weekend, that also included a bit of film watching!

Invictus (2009) - IMDb
The story of the 1995 Rugby World Cup and how Nelson Mendela used it as an opportunity to break down the barriers between white/black folk of South Africa after becoming president. 8/10

Gifted (2017) - IMDb
Story of some smart arse 8 year old who is a genius (and superbly played) and a battle between her dead mothers brother and mother on who should look after her and the path she should take in life. Quite good. 8/10

Ghost in the Shell (2017) - IMDb
Really, really wanted to enjoy this, but I just didn't. Never seen the anime version, and probably never will. Kind of felt a bit like a Blade Runner rip off. Probably mainly didn't like it because I just really seem to be struggling with action films as of late. The special effects however are top notch if that makes a film for you. 5/10

The Hippopotamus (2017) - IMDb
Based on the novel by Stephen Fry, an out of work poet is sent on a mission by his god daughter to discover if miracle do happen at a particular manor house. It's a typical British comedy, some of the jokes are obvious, plenty of swearing, but in general it's good fun. 7/10

Been watching Twin Peaks series two. Had forgotten loads of it. Now I have a sudden urge to watch Fire Walk With Me. Does it never end?

Been watching Twin Peaks series two. Had forgotten loads of it. Now I have a sudden urge to watch Fire Walk With Me. Does it never end?

The film is an important part of the puzzle, but I recommend you watch it after series 2.

The new season is fantastic (imo) but complex, I guess it will come down to ratings on if it will carry on further.

The film is an important part of the puzzle, but I recommend you watch it after series 2.

The new season is fantastic (imo) but complex, I guess it will come down to ratings on if it will carry on further.
I've seen the film three times, and seen series one. Missed a few from series 2 but I've read the books which probably fill in a lot of the important stuff, and keeping up with series 3. When the dust settles I'll probably watch everything again.

I have a theory that the film could be watched either as a prequel or a sequel to the tv series but in a completely different way. I've yet to test this out, but i will. Eventually.

Maps to the Stars (2014) - deliciously, gruesomely savage and flinty satire of awful Hollywood people, with less gore but (even) more discomfort and alienation than the usual David Cronenberg standar. All the acting is terrific - Julianne Moore got all the limelight for the scene-stealing hideous neediness and egotism of her over-the-hill nearly-made-it actress character, but John Cusack as a clammily manipulative New Age healer/self help guru, Mia Wasikowska as a crazed wannabe personal assistant, and Evan Bird as maybe the nastiest imaginable child-star-gone wrong, are all impossible to tear your eyes away from, even if you feel as though you really want to and really ought to. It's all about power and abuse and wanting ... and while some of it's just a bit daft there are genuinely chilling and frightening moments. Also even ROFL funny at odd moments. It is perhaps a bit of a caricature Cronenberg from time to time (sample line: "Sis, you realise your schizophrenia is actually affecting all Hollywood right now?") and I'm still not sure what actually happens at the end... but it's just brilliant imho.

I've been watching Sugar Rush on All4. I'm enjoying it. The humour is, I think, just right, as is the angst.

4 eps of Dark Matter

quite good. A group wake up on a ship in space with no idea who they are or what their ship is. They name each other in the order they woke from stasis, 1-6

its not as good as The Expanse but its still pretty good so far

Enjoying this so far. Good tip :thumbs:

A Quiet Passion (2016) - IMDb
The Story of Emily Dickinson, it was ok. 6/10

Colossal (2016) - IMDb (probably giving too much away with the below, so if you are waiting to watch this, you might not want to read on)
Billed as an action/comedy film, and the trailer makes it out to look funny and with an interesting concept on how this woman who is going through a mental breakdown is somehow connected to this monster that keeps appearng in south korea! However, the film takes a turn, in quiet an almost sickening way, maybe it's just me, maybe it's the mindset I'm in this evening, but this film turns blackmail and domestic violence into a fantasy battle and a bit of a joke. Anyone who has dealt with it (I'm not one, so I dread to think what someone who has would think of this, going into it not expecting this) would probably find this film quite insulting. There's also one art of the plot that explains the origins of how the monster appears, and I'm sorry, but if you were connected to something that looked like a toy from your childhood, I think you'd remember it! 4/10 and I'm probably being generous. Quite surprised Anne Hathaway accepted this role.[\spoiler]

Last edited:
Maps to the Stars (2014) - .

Just watched it, quite enjoyed it, but not sure what it was meant to be. Was the story meant to be taken at face value or was there some Lynchian Mulholland Drive/Lost Highway type stuff going on with the links between characters and mirroring of their experiences? :confused:

I Love Dick

Amazon series with Kevin Bacon as a charismatic arty dude, whose mere existence besots and confounds Kathryn Hahn's Chris, who then starts writing him lots of vividly detailed letters. Hilarious and often brilliant.

Attack the Block

Also very good indeed, Boyega and all the kids are excellent. Properly funny.

Logan's Run.

Pacing, plotting, acting, dialogue and coherent storytelling in sci fi have, mercifully, come on in leaps and bounds since this came out. There's still some charm in it though, and some really well-composed images.

The Man From U.N.C.L.E.

A stinker and a dud, I turned it off after 40 minutes and I won't be going back.

Only interesting because the female lead could have been the twin sister of urban's very own Laurie Penny.

Just watched it, quite enjoyed it, but not sure what it was meant to be. Was the story meant to be taken at face value or was there some Lynchian Mulholland Drive/Lost Highway type stuff going on with the links between characters and mirroring of their experiences? :confused:

No idea tbh (and I'm still not sure if some of the stuff at the end was just hallucinated (and if so, by whom?) or "actually happened" - or at least actually happened in the universe the film imagines). I am sure that lots of the eerie parallels/doublings (violent hallucinations, incestuous overtones - for different characters) were entirely deliberate and designed.

Brimstone - a bit too gratuitous really, especially with the kids... not sure what the point was. Kit Harrington trying to do an American accent and it veering into Australian was the main highlight.

Spiderman: Homecoming

It manages to set up the possibility of further films, attempts to capture the feel of 80s 'coming of age' movies - whilst still fitting firmly within the template of recent action movies.

A solid 8/10.

Just binge-watched the entire 13 episodes (20 mins each) of The Good Place, the new sitcom from Mike Schur (Parks and Rec, Brooklyn Nine Nine, etc).

Kristen Bell plays a fairly shitty person accidentally sent to heaven when she dies. Ted Danson also stars and a few Parks and Rec alumni show up periodically.

It's very watchable, not a huge amount of belly laughs but consistently funny and quite subversive / clever in places.

Looking forward to season 2 in September.

I fell asleep watching Twin Peaks episode 12 on Monday night - no reflection on David Lynch's fine work - I was just knackered. Then last night I had awful toothache so I i kept myself amused through the night (and distracted) by watching most of series one of Steven Universe. I'm late to this - it has a cult following among trans people and so i stayed away from it in order to avoid become a walking cliche. However, had a recommendation yesterday from someone whose opinions i respect and gave it a go. It's pretty amazing, especially considering it's a kids show. So I'm hooked and have another 3 series to catch up with! Very funny, imaginative, good politics, and amazing music. What's not to like?

The Connection (2014) unoriginal but stylish French reworking of the classic "two men on opposite sides of the law have oddly parallel lives" story. Set in 1975 Marseille so in some ways it it's The French Connection but told by French people, but in reality it is more like Heat or We Own the Night or Blood Ties, just made in French. It's a good deal softer-hearted and less exciting than The French Connection (everyone is a recognisable human, the violent horrors are toned down, there's little real suspense); but there's some decent acting, even though Jean Dujardin as the crusading judge and Gilles Lelouche as the mafia kingpin are both a little too low-key and also look like each other too much, which gets confusing. (When some of the real controlling minds come into the drama and they ALSO look like the two leads it gets a bit more confusing still).

To my mind it didn't really have enough Marseille atmosphere or enough to say about the codes/habits of the criminal world there to be gripping; there's none of the sense of how a whole criminal ecosystem locks together that you could get from A Prophet (or even, up to a point, the ludicrous TV series Braquo). But it looks fantastic throughout, brilliant 70s clothes, hair and music; and there's a bracingly cynical end to it all, which sets off some of the earlier sentimental guff. It's a reasonably engaging 2hrs+, but I wouldn't bother if you have anything more pressing to do, or anything more mould-breaking waiting to be watched.

Watched the first two episodes of Bates Motel last night, surrounded by real life blood and gore as Miss B had sliced her finger open with a kitchen knife. Certainly added to the experience.

Last edited:
Command and Control. Infuriating docu about a deadly accident at a Titan 2 missile silo. These retired old lads tallking blithely about how shit they all were at their jobs and the man responsible for the whole accident looked like he couldn't give a flying. It reminded me of another netflix docu 'the seven five' in the same way it was talking heads with the the twats for who that stuff they did was another life.

Sleight (2016) - IMDb

Young magician looking after little sister after parents die gets caught up with a bunch of drug dealers. This could have been so much more perhaps with another studio behind it a better cast and a re write of the script. Haha. In the end not a lot happens. 5/10

Back
Top Bottom