Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

What DVD / Video did you watch last night? (pt3)

He should be ashamed of himself for that pile of steaming shite. No Idris, just NO.
While I don't think Elba has done anything particularly remarkable which would justify all the good will built up from his work on The Wire, I can't blame actors for doing jobs for the money. Elba isn't even the lead in Pacific Rim. The wildly overrated and perpetually disappointing Guillermo Del Toro is the one who deserves the blame. Nearly all of his Hollywood films have been shit so far.

Well. If you can't get giant robots battling aliens to interest me, a lifelong fan of robots and aliens, then its not doing its job.

Reactions: Chz
Dare I check if anyone in The Valley ever got all ‘Yo, Fair Use bro!’ up in Pacific Rim's grille? Title-wise it's born to be XXXified.

Pacific Rim already went wrong for me with one of those endless info dumps at the start which made the rest of the film seem like it was the sequel to a far more interesting film which never existed. The characters were cartoonish, none of them resembling an actual human being and there was no sense of scale or anything at stake with the actual battles sequences. Everything seemed like a lark. The last Godzilla film wasn't perfect, but one thing it got right was to shoot the monsters from a human POV, which gave them scale and while the characterisation may have been thin, the action sequences worked.

Dare I check if anyone in The Valley ever got all ‘Yo, Fair Use bro!’ up in Pacific Rim's grille? Title-wise it's born to be XXXified.

Don't know about the adult industry but the title and much of the scenario was already ripped off for an even shitter film called Atlantic Rim (har har)
Atlantic Rim (Video 2013) - IMDb

Notable only for a) rapper Treach in a speaking role (wearing the same mic-battle screwface throughout, whatever his character was meant to be up to at the time) and b) yeah, being even worse than Pacific Rim *

*which I actually kind of enjoyed - briefly - out of my mind on a very long flight, but I don't know if I'd have the patience for otherwise.

Barry Lyndon - Kubrick epic that is now regarded as one his best films. Beautiful looking and reminds me of Herzog's The Enigma of Kaspar Hauer. Starring Ryan O'Neal. I've only seen one other of his films; Green Ice. Some caper thing from the 70s... was he Kubrick's first choice? An odd lead, IMO.

Barry Lyndon - Kubrick epic that is now regarded as one his best films. Beautiful looking and reminds me of Herzog's The Enigma of Kaspar Hauer. Starring Ryan O'Neal. I've only seen one other of his films; Green Ice. Some caper thing from the 70s... was he Kubrick's first choice? An odd lead, IMO.
Lyndon is a shallow, callow man, so Kubrick cast one of the blandest of film stars to fit the character. From the mid-60s onwards he used to either cast actors who generally gave larger than life performances for characters who were crazy (Nicholson, Sellers, McDowell) or he cast rather bland actors for characters who were enigmas or who had limited inner lives. That's why you get the unremarkable Keir Duella in 2001, a film about the dehumanising qualities of technological progress and Matthew Modine in Full Metal Jacket and Tom Cruise in Eyes Wide Shut. They are the purposely empty cores around whom the films revolve.

The Green Inferno.
A racist anti-SJW/activist rehash of Cannibal Holocaust. Really no excuse for this sort of thing in this day and age.

The Zero Theorum. Liked the street scenes for the wierdness but by god it grated. lots of self referential touches and general 'weird for the sake of being weird'. Odd cos I really like eXistnZe. And this isn't a million thematic miles away from it but everyone in it was a weird unlikable twat. 4/10 ok maybe 5 for the cool idea. But nah.

More of Penny Dreadful S3, got the last two episodes lined up for tonight. It's a choppy season with the characters divided up into three different storylines which barely have any overlap. What makes it watchable is the the always fantastic Eva Green and lush production values. The fourth episode, which almost entirely takes place in a padded cell in Bedlam and features only three of the main characters, is the best.

There isn't enough of Simon Russel Beale's fabulously coiffed Ferdinand Lyle this season:

I wished he had his own spin-off show, he is a wonderful character.

Last edited:
Fingersmith - BBC adaptation of the novel from 2005. Apparently Sarah Waters was quite impressed by it. Not sure, myself. The book was more engaging. The screen version veered into melodrama at times.

After DotCommunist's recent viewing of the special edition of Aliens, I decided to revisit the theatrical version after many years. It still has it in terms of its pacing, with the build up to one thrilling set-piece rolling after another. And I agree, Paul Reiser is a great sleazeball.

Weekender (2011) - fundamentally pretty pointless British comedy about likely lads getting in over their heads when trying to set up as megalarge rave promoters in Ibiza and their friendship then suffering the effects of drugs, profits and menaces from thugs. Story and script not great, but has loads of good young(ish) character actors in it including Jack O Connell (being an entertaining-but-annoying shambling Bestie Mate type, like Bez without the political intelligence) , Zawe Ashton (good as ever but criminally underused) and my new favourite 'face that gives you the fear' Ben Batt giving great nasty Manc gangster:
BenBatt.jpg

(but, overall, it's still not even up to Human Traffic as a film portrayal of this world.)

The Counsellor (2013) - in which Ridley Scott obviously got paid too much money and grew too enthusiastic in trying to make a hardhitting noir about the Mexican drug inferno and international corruption, but doesn't know enough about politics to think his way out of one bizarre scenario after another. A jawdropping cast, some doing great work (Cameron Diaz is amazingly reptilian as a ruthless moll of a druglord, Javier Bardem properly loopy and has terrific hair as the nice-in-comparison druglord) and some of them sleepwalking through it in search of a plot (Penelope Cruz and - awkwardly - Michael Fassbender in the lead role, don't seem to have a clue what is going on) and some I can't really tell if they're taking the piss or not (Brad Pitt in a cowboy hat.) Even the supporting actors are of a different league (Rosie Perez, Goran Visnic, Ruben Blades, Bruno Ganz) but somehow it doesn't add up to greatness. There's a lot of studiedly outrageous dialogue - lots of it outlining "things far too terrible and gory and disgusting to actually show you on screen, but let's talk slaveringly about them at great length anyway" - some good stunts - and a nicely cynical ending, but overall this is heartless in the wrong way.

The last two episodes of Penny Dreadful and as it turns out the end of the series. This was the weakest season, so it's probably for the best. And the ending sucked.

At least now I can move on to binge watch the new season of Game of Thrones.

Last edited:
Dumb And Dumber To
Never seen any of these, but wanted to watch a movie with my littlun to celebrate her becoming a teenager and thought this would appeal to my puerile sense of humour, which she has inherited. Silly and rubbish, but funny in places. The teen loved it, a bit embarassed at some of the sex jokes but not as bad as I remember watching TV with my more prudish parents.

6 eps into Wayward Pines. Starts off like a cross between Twin Peaks and Lost, with a bit of 1984 surveillance thrown in. Then it gets stranger, a bit like The 100. But better. So far. Good cast.

Weekender (2011) - fundamentally pretty pointless British comedy about likely lads getting in over their heads when trying to set up as megalarge rave promoters in Ibiza and their friendship then suffering the effects of drugs, profits and menaces from thugs. Story and script not great, but has loads of good young(ish) character actors in it including Jack O Connell (being an entertaining-but-annoying shambling Bestie Mate type, like Bez without the political intelligence) , Zawe Ashton (good as ever but criminally underused) and my new favourite 'face that gives you the fear' Ben Batt giving great nasty Manc gangster:
View attachment 88750

(but, overall, it's still not even up to Human Traffic as a film portrayal of this world.)

The Counsellor (2013) - in which Ridley Scott obviously got paid too much money and grew too enthusiastic in trying to make a hardhitting noir about the Mexican drug inferno and international corruption, but doesn't know enough about politics to think his way out of one bizarre scenario after another. A jawdropping cast, some doing great work (Cameron Diaz is amazingly reptilian as a ruthless moll of a druglord, Javier Bardem properly loopy and has terrific hair as the nice-in-comparison druglord) and some of them sleepwalking through it in search of a plot (Penelope Cruz and - awkwardly - Michael Fassbender in the lead role, don't seem to have a clue what is going on) and some I can't really tell if they're taking the piss or not (Brad Pitt in a cowboy hat.) Even the supporting actors are of a different league (Rosie Perez, Goran Visnic, Ruben Blades, Bruno Ganz) but somehow it doesn't add up to greatness. There's a lot of studiedly outrageous dialogue - lots of it outlining "things far too terrible and gory and disgusting to actually show you on screen, but let's talk slaveringly about them at great length anyway" - some good stunts - and a nicely cynical ending, but overall this is heartless in the wrong way.
I quite liked the Counsellor , a bit slow moving at first but gets an increasing momentum as the noose tightens. Well shot and as you say a good cast but yes doesn't really deliver a knock out blow .

Scott stuck very closely to Cormac McCarthy's book, which was even more 'aimed at the screenplay' than most of his other recent novels. Moments of brilliance in there, but not enough. Still, he's already written some of the greatest fiction of the last 50 years so he can do what he likes in my book.

^ yeah I knew of the C McC link when the film first came out but had forgotten about it - which was why I was so baffled and kept thinking "why do all these characters keep saying such pompous unnaturalistic portentous words about DEATH all the time???" :facepalm: it's pretty obvious now :D

I'd happily watch the Counsellor again (probably will in fact) - I am a genuine Ridley Scott fan and there's often so much more than just the (glossy and impressive) surface to his films.

Back
Top Bottom