Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

What DVD / Video did you watch last night? (pt3)

naah, Empire is blates the nest movie up until the point where it goes 'wtf, there isn't an ending, you cheating fuckers'

Return
doesn't work except as part 2 of Empire, so Empire wins

bollocks Orang Utan. It has lukes training and cloud city/lando. Thats more than enough. Plus Vader at his most menacing. Lets face it, when he isn't choking quasi fascist imperial flunkies with his mind vader doesn't really get to fuck people up much except in Empire where he fucks people up badly. Apparently in the new Rogue One film we are going to see battlefield vader which I for one am bang upfor seeing.

I have a bad feeling about this.

Jedi will always be my favorite though, because that summer everyone on the estate was going to the pictures, and Jedi was one of the ones we saw. That and Condorman which I must watch again.

Watched the 1964 Russian version of Hamlet. B&W. Beautiful sweeping shots, cinematographt used to great effect - especially with the ghost scenes. And an original score by Shostakovich!

My fave version yet. Although I still haven't seen the Branagh film which is supposed to be a decent effort.

Banshee season 4 episode 4 . What's not to like about a town with Neo nazis, Amish gangsters, black ops, women vigilantes , santanic cults and a murder investigation of a young woman

Don't forget the psychological torture, flame throwers and meth labs; they're packing everything they can think of into this series :D

Saw episode 5 last night. Blimey.

Hateful Eight. It was too long, over talky, really lacked much energy or flair. There was some nice cinematography, the Morricone score was very good.

Even in his early classics Tarantino's chatty scripts could feel clumsy and forced, but this was more so than usual. There was just too much babbling away....and little of any of it added much to the story or the 'tension' being built.

The cast did their best with it, but even they couldn't help but ham up that material.

Even in his early classics Tarantino's chatty scripts could feel clumsy and forced, but this was more so than usual. There was just too much babbling away....and little of any of it added much to the story or the 'tension' being built.

The only one I rewatch after all this time is Jackie Brown. I was totally blown away by Pulp Fiction the first few times (including two screenings on the same day, the second after a pub discussion about the order of events), but other than that his films aren't really for me.

The Witch, 2015s hyped Sundance horror film (there is one every year).

The film takes place in 17th Century New England and is about an Puritan family, outcast from their community, whose luck runs out once they set up their lonely farm next to a dark forest. The forest harbours a witch, who appears to have designs on the children. The film looks striking. The image is so desaturated, it's almost black & white and the only colour seen in full is blood red. Period detail is meticulous from the severe costuming to the archaic English spoken but as a horror film it's never particularly scary or unsettling.

Unlike earlier period classics about witches like The Witchfinder General the film is unambigious from early on that the witch is for real. This is surprising as in all other respects The Witch is such an art house film, reminiscent of Herzog, Bergman and Kubrick in particular. The thorough lack of ambiguity robs the film of any deeper themes or subtext. It ends up as a beautifully shot and art directed spook show which feels too remote to get really scary and too superficial to work as anything more artful. The film spends much of its time on a drama of the disintegrating family, which is never that riveting because in the end nothing is down to the repressive religious dynamics within the family. There never is any doubt that there really is a witch who means harm to the children. Unlike more thematically ambitious horror films about Christianity vs paganism/satanism like The Wicker Man, The Devils or The Witchfinder General, the film has nothing to say about religion, which means in the end it's no more profound than something like The Omen, without the trashy rewards of that film.

The Witch is still striking enough to check out for its meticulous sense of time and place. It's also more entertaining than Ben Wheatley's similar but meandering A Field in England. I'm curious what the director will do next as he clearly has talent. He just needs a plot with a little more substance to support his confident sense of style.

The always excellent Kate Dickie (Red Road, GoT) who plays the mother here, starred in a little seen contemporary film about witchcraft and Celtic folklore called Outcast (2010), which is rather underrated and which worked better as a horror film.

The trailer makes the film look more intense and scary than it is:

Last edited:
I'm on a rewatch of ER, having never seen any of it since original broadcast. I've got to the part in the second series where Mark is having his heart broken. Aw, man. :(

Nymphomaniac Vol 2. Really 'enjoyed' the whole thing as a provocative piece of cinema. I wonder what 50 Shades fans would make of some it... The S&M stuff is pretty extreme. In time I'll probably get my hands on the director's cut. Film Four showed the shorter version.

The Witch - more about the story than the horror, of which there is little, but what there is is very good. Otherwise it's slow and a bit disappointing if you view it expecting what the trailer promises. 7/10

Southbound - this one lives up to expectations a bit more, but the apparent lack of experience of the directors shows, though not to the point where it's massively detrimental to the movie. 6/10

The Witch - more about the story than the horror, of which there is little, but what there is is very good. Otherwise it's slow and a bit disappointing if you view it expecting what the trailer promises. 7/10

Southbound - this one lives up to expectations a bit more, but the apparent lack of experience of the directors shows, though not to the point where it's massively detrimental to the movie. 6/10
So if the second film lives up to expectations more, why did you give it a lower score? (that rhymes! :) )

Mutiny on the Bounty - the 1935 version with Clark Gable as Christian and Charles Laughton as Bly. I'd only seen the 1984 version with Anthony Hopkins as Bly. Laughton's Bly is an out and out bastard, while Hopkin's is a (bit) more reserved. Still prefer the 1984 version. Have to watch the Brando take on it, next.

The Hateful Eight

Probably loses some impact on the small screen (particularly the first 30-40 mins out in the wilderness, some lovely shots), but after that it's kind of a cross between Reservoir Dogs and The Thing.

Hard to judge it given that Tarantino is a marmite filmmaker, personally I enjoy the long stretches of dialogue punctuated by quick moments of brutality, and overly theatrical setting (you tend not to forget you're watching a film with QT as a director and writer), but can imagine it feeling quite slow to others and some of the dialogue is a little too self-referential.

Walton Goggins was the standout (as he has been for several years on The Shield and Justified), but all the actors have their moments (apart from Michael Madsen perhaps) and it was enjoyable enough, if not one of his better films.

Bloody, foul-mouthed and smartly plotted (although not as clever as it thinks it is) - 7/10

The Man who Came to Dinner - Bette Davis, Monty Wooley, Ann Sheridan and Grant Mitchell in a classic comedy from 1941. Wooley is brilliant as a caustic, pompous critic who finds himself housebound and up to mischief in Ohio. I get the feeling his character was an influence on Stewie in Family Guy...

Watched Only Lovers Left Alive, Jim Jarmusch vampire film with Tilda Swinton and Tom Hiddleston. Looked great, nice sets and costumes, bit light on plot, and terribly clunky script.

The Hateful Eight

Probably loses some impact on the small screen (particularly the first 30-40 mins out in the wilderness, some lovely shots), but after that it's kind of a cross between Reservoir Dogs and The Thing.

Hard to judge it given that Tarantino is a marmite filmmaker, personally I enjoy the long stretches of dialogue punctuated by quick moments of brutality, and overly theatrical setting (you tend not to forget you're watching a film with QT as a director and writer), but can imagine it feeling quite slow to others and some of the dialogue is a little too self-referential.

Walton Goggins was the standout (as he has been for several years on The Shield and Justified), but all the actors have their moments (apart from Michael Madsen perhaps) and it was enjoyable enough, if not one of his better films.

Bloody, foul-mouthed and smartly plotted (although not as clever as it thinks it is) - 7/10

What about the plot was smart?

Reactions: Sue
Is there a Star Wars film that isn't boring to the adult brain? :hmm:
well its really when you think about it full of the tropes of a folk tale, now we can pretend our concept of adulthood means thats now boring but it embodies concepts that have never fallen from fictional use because they speak to human experience, or at least to what the human wants to be. Rescue the princess. Defeat the evil wizard. Be part of a band of warriors and friends. Old school really. Zipes is excellent on skewering the worst aspects of the tale and doing so with impeccable research. But. I'll take a fairy story over Human Centipede or Hostel any day of the week. Evin that Devils Rejects film, that was a good watch but so so grubby. Sometimes the adult mind wants stories where the good bears out and evil is slapped back into its box. Tales of personal redemption. This is probably why I watch It's A Wonderful Life every year

Back
Top Bottom