Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

What DVD / Video did you watch last night? (pt3)

IntoTheWild_UK_Quad_428x350_to_468x312.jpg

Mammuth - new one from Gustave de Kervern, Benoît Delépine, who did my fav film of 2008 Louise-Michel . This one is a more restrained road-movie through post-employment France (as every one of their films pretty much is), though with the same absurdist black humour. Depardieu looking even bigger than he was in Bellamy and thankfully giving a quiet performance. Very good, but not as biting as previous, more personal rather than political, though the usual anarchist allusions are scattered throughout.

First episode of Boardwalk Empire, impressive start, can't wait to see more.

Interesting to see Buscemi playing this type of character, the final scenes of Nucky sat contemplatively whilst loose ends were being tied up at his behest were very Godfather-esque :cool:

Loved the throwaway introduction of Stephen Graham's Al Capone too :D

Oooh stick with it - it get's better and better - Stephen Grahham's part grow's :oops:

ETA In response to Boardwalk Empire post (fat fingers today!)

Never let me go...not read the book, didn't really know anything about it, almost went to see it at the pictures last week then decided against it when I saw Kiera Knightly was in it. Found a good torrent and decided I'd give it a go.

Performances aren't brilliant, not sure I'm that keen on the Hobbit fella and still has Knightly in it but it kept me involved all the way through, beautifully shot, great story and kept me involved all the way through. The feel of it reminded me at times of the kind of odd sci fi from the seventies I remember as a kid but I can't think exactly what.

I'd say it's definitely worth a look.

Into the Wild was a good book. The only thing I don't get is why he didn't walk along the river looking for a safer crossing point. First thing anyone normal would have done. Anyone normal wouldn't have done it in the first place though...:)

Barry Lyndon.

A lot more pace than I thought it would have. Very good.

The Chaser - South Korean thriller; ex cop turned pimp is upset that his girls keep running away, when he encounters one of the johns, the horrible truth dawns. Gripping and unsettling; it's in discussions for an American remake. Bah.

So far this weekend we have watched Cronos, weird vampiry type effort, Equus, well you should all know about that one & Ghosts of the Civil Dead, bleak & violent Aussie prison drama which id not seen for about 20 years.

Outside the Law - very enjoyable epic-style tale of the development of FLN activities inside France post war from the shanty towns exploited by Renault in Nanterre to Independence, if you can ignore the narrartivce cliches and glaring historical untruths. Essentially a sequal to the same directors Indigenes/Days of Glory which covered Algerians in the French Army in WW2, this has caused a lot of controversy in France because it quite straightforwardly compares the FLN and their fighters to the French resistance - most clearly through a series of simple but powerful allusions to Melville's Army of Shadows - this film is nowhere even close to that in class though, it's much closer to Army of Crime Robert Guédiguian's (true) story of commies and immigrant resistance fighters.

Handcock on 5.
Why?
What is annoying is that it probably could have been an interesting film and had some interesting ideas. I just don't understand why if they are going to spend so much on actors and special effects why they don't iron out the script problems. New and huge fundamental plot issues would turn up seconds before they would have effect, certain points would not be discussed (or withheld) simply because the plot/script demanded it.

Anyway I was expecting shite, just a bit annoyed because surprisingly there was actually something decent that could have come out of it.

The Fighter Christian bale was superb as dicky! wahlberg though was pretty lame as mickey ward! which kinda spoiled it fer me somewhat.. Still a good film though&&&&

Thuis weekend I saw 'Enter The Void' in a slightly altered state of mind. It's an absolutely bonkers film, visually stunning and I wish I'd seen it at the cinema.

Also '127 Hours'. Very, very well done by Boyle.

I watched Emir Kusturica's Black Cat, White Cat. I love his films because they are totally and utterly crazy but often with lots of other messages in the background. If you've never seen any of his films you'd be advised to keep the sound low because they are noisy and brash. The soundtracks are by his own No Smoking Orchestra.

Most of his films are populated with animals. One includes a suicidal donkey and Black Cat, White Cat. has a pig eating away at the bodywork of a Trabant!

In the words of one critic: "It is as though Four Weddings And A Funeral had been reimagined by Fellini with a cast of crazy Balkan rogues and a background chorus of farmyard animals."

Wonderful entertainment: Dany Boon meets Jean Pierre Jeunet meets The Marx Brothers.

10/10

:p

Post Mortem - very similar to the Directors previous one Tony Manero - bot set in the early days of Pinochet's takeover (this one during the actual coup) and both dealing with obsession, narcissism and alienation leaving the characters unaware of what's going on around them in the real word or becoming complicit themselves, or as mirrors of the motivations of the wider events taking place. Both very good.

Where did I mention enjoyment?:D

If it can be classified as such, The Kids Are Allright was actually a pretty damned good one.

Just watched Bande à part for about the twentieth time. I have got hold of a few of the more recent Godard films, and I am going to try to watch one or two of them in the next few days.

Back
Top Bottom