Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

What DVD / Video did you watch last night? (pt3)

Post Mortem - very similar to the Directors previous one Tony Manero - bot set in the early days of Pinochet's takeover (this one during the actual coup) and both dealing with obsession, narcissism and alienation leaving the characters unaware of what's going on around them in the real word or becoming complicit themselves, or as mirrors of the motivations of the wider events taking place. Both very good.
Have you seen Pinochet's Children? I don't know if it's had a dvd release yet or what.

Repo Men: A great sci-fi premise (in the future, companies can reclaim transplanted organs and limbs, as well as houses and cars) and an inspired ending aside, this is little more than a dull and gory action film. Starring Jude fucking Law. I can only assume Forest Whitaker needed the money.

Friday Night Dinner - new C4 comedy with Tamsin Grieg and Mark Heap. Caught it by accident and laughed like a drain. Watched ep 1 on i-player this morning. Excellent, silly fun.

Ex Drummer - er, bit mental, but good. Takes a while to get going but is typical of european nasty flicks, great premise and some horrible yet effective moments. 7/10

The Confrontation/Sparkling Winds - classic old style Jansco. Plot, such as there is concerns a group of communist students who try and take over a religious seminary and turn the pupils by a variety of means in immediate post-WW2 Hungary. Of course, it's really an attack on really existing stalinism (68/69) and all forms of egotistical or bureaucratic authoritarianism. Very interesting but never touches the sheer originality of his other films in this style - The Red and the White in particular - films that no one else has ever made anything like.

I spent this afternoon watching 8 1/2 by Fellini. It felt like the right time to watch some Italian cinema. I had seen it before.

Tonight I am going to watch Le conseguenze dell'amore by Paulo Sorrentino. I have only seen it once before, when it first came out.

Clash of the Titans (2010) great special effects - but not much of a film apart from that
The Girl who played with fire - not bad, but not great.

Harold & Kumar Escape from Guantanamo Bay The biggest pile of steaming turd of a film! Recommend to me anawl / Watch it its well funny he said. Not as good as the first one mind Blah blah Feck me if theres a prequel to this turdidge shite id rather put razor blades in me eyes than watch a feckin 2nd one<<<<<

the secret of my success - some things never change - the murky world of PR agents and tabloid gossip was as reprehensible as it is now in the era of max clifford. tony curtis is a dude though and i was shocked to see burt lancaster play such a rat.
vertigo - just brilliant. pretty disturbing, esp the scenes where james stewart is getting his girl number 2 to dress exactly like the 'deceased' girl number 1. another creepy instance of seeing an actor famous for heroic/good guy roles playing against type.

Harold & Kumar Escape from Guantanamo Bay The biggest pile of steaming turd of a film! Recommend to me anawl / Watch it its well funny he said. Not as good as the first one mind Blah blah Feck me if theres a prequel to this turdidge shite id rather put razor blades in me eyes than watch a feckin 2nd one<<<<<

Awesome film.

The Human Centipede. Was on the SyFy channel so thought why not. Silliness in the extreme.

Mrs21 is fascinated with that film, she hasn't seen it, but heard about it and read loads about it - telling me the plot line - and trting to find out if it was medically possible -

I told her that if we were captured by the mad doctor - I want to be in the front of the centipede!

Into the Wild - did remind me of Grizzly Man quite a bit as well, but this touched me more for some reason. Was pretty upsetting toward the end and I can see why a lot of people felt pissed off with the lad for putting everyone who cared for him through so much worry. Great film though, but it did go on for a bit longer than I felt able to give it full attention.

I am going to watch The Proposition on film4 later. I have been meaning to watch it again for ages.

There are not enough good Australian films quite like this. In my mind it is a kind of Australian gothic, like a Nick Cave song made into a film (which is essentially what it is).

I would like to see more of this kind of thing. I have always wanted to read Australian Gothic fiction, but I am not even sure if it exists as a genre as I imagine it. It is pretty ripe for it though, it has all the right ingredients.

I am going to watch The Proposition on film4 later. I have been meaning to watch it again for ages.

There are not enough good Australian films quite like this. In my mind it is a kind of Australian gothic, like a Nick Cave song made into a film (which is essentially what it is).

I would like to see more of this kind of thing. I have always wanted to read Australian Gothic fiction, but I am not even sure if it exists as a genre as I imagine it. It is pretty ripe for it though, it has all the right ingredients.

watch picnic at hanging rock and the long weekend if you haven't already

Mrs21 is fascinated with that film, she hasn't seen it, but heard about it and read loads about it - telling me the plot line - and trting to find out if it was medically possible -

I told her that if we were captured by the mad doctor - I want to be in the front of the centipede!

Ah but could you handle the guilt if she was the middle part :hmm:

Tommorow When The War Began - Australian remake of the 80's Wolverines movie, Aussie teens wage guerrila war on invading army.

Other films I saw recently:

127 Hours - Inspiring. Well thought and executed.

Saw - Final Chapter
- Terribly poor.

Teeth - Entertaining.

The Tourist - Crap. Switched off midway.

Due Date - Modern day version of Planes, Trains and Automobiles. Above average.

Buried - Fuckin' saddest film I seen for a while. Liars everywhere. Made angry with sadness.

The Mechanic - Cunting crap.

Black Swan - Loved - Portman enacted paranoia perfectly.

The Disappearnace of Alice Creed
- Awesome.

Back
Top Bottom