Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

*What book are you reading? (part 2)

Currently reading:

Bernard Cornwell - Sharpe's Triumph

Second book in the huge series. Really enjoyed the first one and as with the Last Kingdom he writes accessible books that flow nicely. His characters are usually pretty good too - Hawkswill is a fucking dick and I feel like we've all known someone a bit like him.

Audiobook:

Bernard Sanderson - Shadows of Self

I must admit I'm struggling more with the second block of books from the Mistborne series. It doesn't grip as much as previous books.

I did just finish listening to the Audiobook for Wisdom of Crowds by Joe Abercrombie. Probably one of my favourite authors and I read the book when it came out. Steven Pacey brings so much to his books it was definitely worth a second listen.

Apparently they are bringing Best Served Cold out as a film.

I’ve just read

The Making of the African Queen or How I went to Africa with Bogart, Bacall and Huston and almost lost my mind by Katherine Hepburn

This is a fairly casual memoir, by one of the greatest actresses of all time. It covers the making of the film, but also a lot about her breakfast and erm toilet habits - including climbing over a wall somewhere between Manchester and London to do a wee!

She writes exactly how you’d expect based on the character she played in some of her “spinster” roles, mixing the grandiose with the mundane and with a somewhat abrupt turn of phrase at times. I found it rather funny in places.

Haven't read a book in ages, but just started 'Those who were dancing ' by Mark Sleigh a murder mystery set when all the rigs went over to Europe in the late '90s after the criminal justice act.

Have also got the prequel ' Squatters rights' about the crew set during the early 90's in London about the squats , beginning of the 'Squat party' era pre CJA

Which could be part of my life story. (not the first one, I didn't get to Europe')

Well worth a read.

Last edited:
WP Wiles 'The Last blade Priest' just finished two days ago. Adam Roberts was pushing this hard and I rate his work on sci fi so I gave it a go and its well written fantasy.

I'm onto KSR's 'The Ministry for The Future'

Pratchett's bio for the non fiction, but this will probably take a back burner till I have main book out of the way

Haven't read a book in ages, but just started 'Those who were dancing ' by Mark Sleigh a murder mystery set when all the rigs went over to Europe in the late '90s after the criminal justice act.

Have also got the prequel ' Squatters rights' about the crew set during the early 90's in London about the squats , beginning of the 'Squat party' era pre CJA

Which could be part of my life story. (not the first one, I didn't get to Europe')

Well worth a read.
This is what I was just coming to post!

IMG_20230809_101041.jpg

IMG_20230809_101112.jpg

Just started this, and I've already read Those Who Were Dancing.

I've become friendly with Mark since chatting to him when his first book came out.

Would appeal to a lot of Urbs I think.

IMG_20230809_101030.jpg

Sarah Millican 'How to be Champion'.

Half autobiography, half self help/wise advice. Amusing rather than laugh out loud funny (I never find books that funny), honest, rude, and a reminder to look for the positives in life.

atm I are reading

ebook
Scattered Minds: The Origins and Healing of Attention Deficit Disorder (Gabor Mate)
What's this like?

I've recently aquired a bit of an interest in ADD and its impact and treatment options as more friends are getting adult diagnoses. However I get a unsettling feeling about Mate.

I had some time for him when he was pushing a humanistic approach to addiction, but lately I've started to get big alarm bells about his work.

MR Carey's 'Infinity Gate'. Sharp many-worlds sci fi from someone I know nothing about but they can write.

Picked up Michael Molcher's 'I Am The Law: how Judge Dredd predicted our future' for a later read.

Endymion by Dan Simmons. 3rd of the Hyperion Cantos. 'Harder' sci fi than I'd usually read, but Simmons is an excellent writer, very well informed in literature and that really comes through.You can also see that he writes horror as well as there's are some quite horrific facets to these books as well. I'm actually enjoying this more than the first two so far.

Just finished Barbara Kingsolver's 'Demon Copperhead' which was superb, a retelling of David Copperfield in pill-addicted rural Virginia in the 90s-00s.

Just finished Barbara Kingsolver's 'Demon Copperhead' which was superb, a retelling of David Copperfield in pill-addicted rural Virginia in the 90s-00s.
I just bought that for mrsb. Must admit I had no idea what it was about, but she likes BK, so...... Sounds well worth a read, I'll have to hurry her along with it.

What's this like?

I've recently aquired a bit of an interest in ADD and its impact and treatment options as more friends are getting adult diagnoses. However I get a unsettling feeling about Mate.

I had some time for him when he was pushing a humanistic approach to addiction, but lately I've started to get big alarm bells about his work.
What I read, I liked, informative. A lot of ahhhhh moments.

Hilariously, didn't finish it

Just started A Maze of Death by Philip K Dick. Read a few of his books and really liked them, but I've been slack and not done for ages. Hopefully I'll stick at it this time.

Sy Montgomery - The Soul Of An Octopus
Herman Melville - Bartleby The Scrivener
Gwendoline Riley - My Phantoms
Max Porter - Lanny
Max Porter - Shy
Max Porter - Grief Is The Thing With Feathers
Peter Godfrey-Smith - Other Minds: The Octopus and The Evolution Of Intelligent Life
Otessa Moshfegh - McGlue
Raymond Briggs - When The Wind Blows

Just finished these holiday reads & both brilliant in different ways...
David Grann- The Wager- about ships/ world discovery & mutiny (absolutely enthralling)
Laurent Mauvignier- The birthday party- I can't really say anything about this that would do it justice. It was a long read but I genuinely love the way this was done and here's a review of it...

The Last Mughal by William Dalrymple.

An interesting but brutal explanation of the 1857 Indian mutiny in Delhi and how it affected the Emperor Shah Zafar. Both the rebels and the British behaved appallingly.

Religious extremism on both sides made everything worse

Just finished these holiday reads & both brilliant in different ways...
David Grann- The Wager- about ships/ world discovery & mutiny (absolutely enthralling)
Laurent Mauvignier- The birthday party- I can't really say anything about this that would do it justice. It was a long read but I genuinely love the way this was done and here's a review of it...
The Grann sounds fascinating. Have you read his Killers of the Flower Moon?

Back
Top Bottom